You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-22 03:24:32

Miles Away

J. Press sleeves...

Tramp that I am, I am wearing my old clothes out of the attic...
My Press shirts from around the late '80s have shirring! Never noticed that before. My more recent ones have pleats.
Anyone got a date for the change-over?
The shirring isn't like Brooks 7 point style (is that right?), it's more like lots of tiny little tucks all 'round bringing the material into the cuff.
No gauntlet button either!
Ahhhh the good old days! With a button in the back of the collar too...

Misty-eyed Miles -

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#2 2006-08-22 05:55:16

misterman

Re: J. Press sleeves...

if buttons have 3 holes, it was made by hathaway

#3 2006-08-22 06:42:12

Miles Away

Very good to know Sir - Thank you.
I once wondered about Hathaway making for Press when I was considering the similarities between the old Hathaway and the recent LL Bean BD. It was a bit of a throw-away comment, but it's fascinating to know that Hathaway did actually make for you.

Good to see you posting here.

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#4 2006-09-04 02:08:09

Horace

I have some Press from that period & not with the gauntlet button.  Not with shirring though.  Troy had shirring for the Andover shirts it made of this period.  At least those of Broadcloth -- under the "R&O Hawick" line -- also available at Chipp.  In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Pollock asserted that Hawick name thought up by Winston at Chipp.

In between Hathaway and Press's new supplier (Fall River -- a US firm), there was Forsyth (Canada) which I understand took over Hathaway's plant and hired some of its displaced labor.  These Forsyth shirts had pretty bad shrinking in sleeves, and some in collar, in my experience.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

Board footer