You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-12 02:45:12

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Your Ivy Shop...

Staceyboy and I have chatted about this...

What would you stock?
How would you style the place?

Or if you've no desire to open a shop (if only in your imagination), then what kind of Ivy shop would you love to visit?

Everything is allowed!

At this time of year I'd mix vintage vinyl with Tweeds and knitwear displayed in old bookcases alongside old copies of Cheever, etc.

Everything would be folded, nothing on hangers. Shirts and ties would would be in drawers left open.

A library of Ivy would be my aim.

You?

#2 2009-09-12 03:36:04

The Ace Face

Re: Your Ivy Shop...

Something akin to The Style Council's album cover for 'Our Favourite Shop', less The Beatles.

Vinyl: Blue Note, Prestige, Contemporary, Impulse, Pacific Jazz and some other essentials from the world of ska, reggae, bossa nova and Italian soundtracks from Moviegrooves.  Would probably have some Trojan compiliations for ambience playing in the background.

A gentlemen's club in the basement for fittings with a fine selection of single malts and some discerning blends. Cigars ofcourse.

Shirts my own branded button downs made by artisans in England or New England.  Supina cotton.  No logos.

Vintage chronographs from the 1950's early '60's - no chunky Rolex's.

And a young hungry graduate to do the dirty work for me, keep him in a cage, feed him raw whore and whisky.

That would be just the beginning, then I would branch out into shoes.

Draped and sculpted hep cat suit - as worn by His Royal Hepness, Cab Calloway

#3 2009-09-12 04:33:18

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Ties and shirts by Sam & Dave (Hober & Mercer) to my own specs...

#4 2009-09-12 11:34:39

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Anderson Shetlands.

#5 2009-09-12 11:37:01

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Black Sheep Shawl Knits.

Fairmount 'Ancient' Cordovan Loafers & Finsbury Scotchgrain Beefrolls...

#6 2009-09-12 15:00:26

Patrick

I'd try to find someone to make a house brand of sturdy, conservative shoes that don't cost a fortune at retail, and get Mr. Anderson of the revived Anderson-Little to supply the blazers.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#7 2009-09-12 16:15:29

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

Anderson Little made awesome Ivy sacks back in the '60s.  I have fantasized about the company doing a revival brand (Anderson Little "Heritage" line) for American style enthusiasts looking for something midmarket, something to bridge the gap between Rugby and Black Fleece.  Think J.Press with everything narrowed down an inch or so, or Van brought to the American market.  It's the least commercially viable idea in the world (next to perhaps Harvard's new clothing "line"), and that, my friends, is why I wouldn't do well in business. 

I was talking with a local vintage shop owner who was talking about the ever decreasing crop of vintage.  Got me thinking that there is a point down the road where I will have to start getting the stuff I like made for me.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NewtonStreetVintage  Classic Vintage Ivy League Clothing on Etsy.

#8 2009-09-12 17:33:48

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

Last edited by Moose Maclennan (2009-09-12 17:42:09)

#9 2009-09-12 19:48:41

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

Last edited by The Thin Repp (2009-09-12 19:49:55)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NewtonStreetVintage  Classic Vintage Ivy League Clothing on Etsy.

#10 2009-09-13 08:44:47

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#11 2009-09-13 09:08:40

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#12 2009-09-13 10:02:13

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”

#13 2009-09-14 05:24:13

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

#14 2010-01-28 17:37:43

rokusho63

greetings. i've got to tell someone.. i mentioned it to mrs rokusho and the kids, but they just looked at me expectantly, waiting for the punchline. they didn't actually say it, but "so what??" was the reaction i got. anyway... went to miso in richmond yesterday, and after we'd ordered i popped over the road to have a little moment to reminisce. stood in the doorway of 10 hill rise wearing (outfit put on in anticipation of aforementioned "moment") ivory sperry topsiders. burlingtons. 501s. white lacoste polo. varsity by catalina, ( spotless, immaculate, with UNUSED peg loop). the same place and the same clothes, just 30 years later, and a slightly larger waist on the 501s.
god bless you all and thanks for listening.

#15 2010-03-09 10:53:32

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Last edited by Russell_Street (2010-03-09 10:54:06)

#16 2010-03-09 16:34:26

Big Mark

Love this topic.

For me: a full range of Burlingtons, maybe stored in a cubby hole display under the till/workspace, so that they can be matched with the purchases...

...the subtle smell of cedar and leather.....

no pressure, no sales tactics, no attitude....

Dexter tunes...

Next to a barbers offering hot towel shaves.

"I think I had it in the back of my mind that I wanted to sound like a dry martini."  Paul Desmond

#17 2010-03-12 01:32:43

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.

Great topic. I think I would become a regular at Moose's. Hank also throws in some interesting aspects.

What would my shop be like?

I would try to attract a blend of people like us, some "mainstream milk cows" who are open to "College Style" as it is called in Germany and who normally buy RL and Gant as a basis for business, younger folks who like the Ivy idea, maybe some folks from subcultures with leanings to the look like Mods.

Clothes offered would be a blend of Amercian brands like BB, J.Press, Bean, even some J.Crew - all stuff which is not available here. A few basic shoes. Some single items from RL and Gant. I would try to establish a "house brand" for some basics like Chinos.  Vintage items. Would try Van's. Some DNA Groove stuff. Maybe an exclusive coop for a few items? A bit of Armor Lux  tops. Some items from "hip" Scandinavian brands.  Stetson caps? I would try to establish a basic offer of brands and items and then throw in one-shots to test the water. For example bean boots in Winter, which also are not available here. 

I think such a shop should provide an offer which is unique, otherwise you won't have a chance against the chains and established  boutiques.   

For the interior I would try to create a sort of "Cape Cod meets International Style" flair: lots of white, wood like from those dear old saltbox houses, a bit nautical flavour by using a few navy coulours. Framed  pictures and posters from books like take Ivy, Clax etc. to get the spirit across. A book corner, some DVDs. Furniture would be used Scandinavian classics, some Eames..Paraphernalia like old pennants, copies from magazines.

Jazz and some soul in the background.

Ah, must find a location.

Just to get a repp..

#18 2010-03-12 02:02:13

Alex Roest

#19 2010-03-12 02:15:59

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Let me know if you ever need an ageing Saturday boy.

#20 2010-03-12 02:20:55

1,966% Ivy

Give me 100k and I'll do the furnishings.

#21 2010-08-19 07:40:48

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#22 2010-08-19 08:10:24

Rip Rig & Panic

Plenty of elbow room, come what may.  And a big stock room on the same level as the punters.  A big room dedicated to serious vintage and no 'This Is Ivy Because I Say It Is And What Do You Know?' 

A couple of sussed female shop assistants.  Around twenty one.  No food or drink allowed.  Soft music, gentle lighting.

Total fantasy.

Board footer