• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » "Why can't a woman shop more like a man?"

#1 2009-09-21 05:18:20

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

"Why can't a woman shop more like a man?"

http://www.upanddownthecityroad.com/why-cant-a-woman-shop-more-like-a-man

"J. Simons, London - Beautiful old shop, smells of leather and heavy wool blankets and Raymond Chandler and James Dean Barracuttas. There are no women in the shop (honestly, you make us skittish when we're trying to shop - the same feeling we get when, forced to walk through the underwear section with you, we don't know whether we should look or avert our eyes). Oh, and they have this contraption to stretch your shoes if they don't quite fit. Shoe stretcher machine thing, I guess. Then there is John Simons himself, a London legend if you were a mod or into the Ivy League jazz look in the sixties and seventies. He is as close to a personal style guru and tailor as I'm likely to have, and will pop down a bizarrely narrow ladder to the stock room with a "Hmm, I got something for you.." and return with a perfectly fitting item, usually vintage or end-of-line. Honestly, someone should make a documentary."

- What other MAN SHOPS do you like?

#2 2009-09-21 05:28:17

Beatnik

Re: "Why can't a woman shop more like a man?"

Does B&Q count Uncle?

#3 2009-09-21 05:36:41

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

The nearest thing I ever get to that kind of thing, now all the old school tobacconists and barbers have retired, is the garage that keeps my ancient Nissan on the road. A shambolic filthy smoky dive, always with the friendly question 'Will you be needing a receipt for that?'. My kind of shop.

#4 2009-09-21 05:50:44

Beatnik

Sadly in these homogenised days of High Street sterilisation the Independent or Unusual have all but dissapeared.
I used to love a good old record shop. And spend hours just flicking through albums and soaking up the vibe. Sadly, can't really do this in HMV with Lady GaGa blasting out...

#5 2009-09-21 06:01:59

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Nice shot of that Mr. Simon's place:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_139j4HyOwtg/SRcH67_nDsI/AAAAAAAAAiQ/2flyTOf_RSE/s320/DSC00317.JPG

#6 2009-09-21 07:09:51

Staceyboy
Ivy Archivist

Though I'm not a smoker there's an eccentric little tobacconist's shop in the centre of town here. It moved from its original corner shop location near the bus station some 10 years ago. First opened circa 1890. All dark wood and 'yellow' lights. Known to all locals as the "Bear Shop" due to the fierce looking (but moth eaten) stuffed bear in its doorway. It has terrified generations of local kids. There also used to be a stuffed bear cub too but I think that particular sad little creature has been retired. A hardcore male emporium where I don't think I've ever witnessed a female customer. Another male bastion was an ancient  hunting/shooting/fishing establishment that has been forced out of the city centre due to spiraling rents. Now re-located to a ‘lively’ part of town where I wouldn't want to encounter the local citizens if they were carrying a fish hook let alone a rifle. Last but not least, there was a fabulous gents' outfitters just up the road from where I live now. During the boxer shorts revival of the early 80's we would go there to buy very overpriced candy stripe Jockeys. The owner was incredibly camp and we would have to fight off fits of giggles as he would lovingly measure our waist and inside legs. For underwear! Apologies for stereotyping here but it came as a huge shock to us lads to see a photo of him with his 7 children and 10 grandchildren in the local paper when he retired and the shop closed down. A busy man.

Staceyboy

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » "Why can't a woman shop more like a man?"

Board footer