You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Mods, The Ivy League And Working-class Menswear -

#126 2022-07-12 00:08:27

AlveySinger

Re: Mods, The Ivy League And Working-class Menswear -

Many, many years ago I was talking to an elderly relative of mine who knew I was interested in clothes.
He mentioned growing up in North London. The family had moved from the East End and were a bit more socially mobile.
In the mid to late fifties a lot of Jewish kids who had family in the rag trade started to experiment with making things slightly different from what the fathers were wearing. We're not talking casual wear but suits. Trousers in particular were a lot more tailored and were worn without braces. They were cut around the arse rather than hanging from the waist. He said it was in response to overseas travel being more affordable and commonplace. Getting stuff made was relatively inexpensive especially if someone in the family was a tailor.
I asked him if he knew the term Mod and he said he wasn't familiar with it at the time. It was driven by looking a bit different from the older generation, having clothes that looked sexier and less heavy.
A term that has disappeared is being called a "Maurie" -short for Maurice. I guess it was similar to Yuppy in meaning. The girls were called Becks. This survived until the Eighties but more as a derogatory term

#127 2022-07-12 00:28:12

AFS

^ This aspect of our sartorial history might well be echoed and amplified in a proposed John Simons A-Z.  The Jewish input, in the USA and in England, is inescapable. 

I seem to recall the character Sydney Tafler plays in 'It Always Rains On Sunday' being called Maurie.  Having it away with the divine Susan Shaw.  One of my favourite post-war English movies.  Featuring the great Alfie Bass.

#128 2022-07-12 03:32:38

AFS

A few nuggets on 'The Wardrobe': 'Ivy League Pop And Rock...'  Slightly unfortunate title perhaps but, as I say, there are a couple of nuggets. 
These stories have been told pretty often but sometimes bear repeating.

#129 2022-07-12 10:27:35

RobbieB

Alvey- 'A term that has disappeared is being called a "Maurie" -short for Maurice'
I remember my dad and uncles used this term, addressing each other, in the early 60s, when we used to have family parties in the East End. I never understood what they were on about. They used plenty of other Jewish expressions, which was strange because there is no evidence of Jewish blood in the families. Everyone had made to measure suits back then. My cousin and his wife used to argue who was the 'poshest' with one coming from Poplar and the other Stepney. Apparently Stepney was full of aspirational Jewish tailors.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#130 2022-07-13 08:09:31

Staxfan

Sadly one of my cousins (Roger), died just over a week ago, aged 76 yrs,(7 yrs my snr), he was probably the closest I had to a big brother when we were growing up , I remember going to the park, cinema & maybe swimming, with him when I was probably 5-7 yrs old, we had 3 of my Mum's sisters living in our street, another 2 streets away, a brother in the next street , and 4 others in the same town, I had 7 cousins close by and probably another 14-15 scattered around, I spoke to his sister this week and she asked if I had any photos of Roger, I went through all my Mum's photos and found just 4, I get to my point now (!), in one of them he would have been 16 ( 1962), we were on holiday, he's got a slick-ish , quif haircut ( pre Beatles style), v-neck sweater with a white tee underneath, he would have been the right age for the first wave of mods, I remember him having a 'bum-freezer' jacket on a suit, ( again '61/62), but I can't ever remember him mentioning ' Mod', his two younger sisters certainly dressed 'Mod', I had my first MtM suit made for his wedding in 1968, grey cloth, 10" centre vent, slanted pockets & crucially a ticket pocket, probably cost around £15,

#131 2022-07-13 08:43:22

AFS

That's bad news about your cousin, Stax, 76 not being old for this day and age.
I know the kind of photos you're referring to: the era: young men and women actually looking smart - and wanting to.
I must dig out the snaps of my old Dad in bum-freezer and skinny tie, probably taken a shade before 61/62.  He was twenty five when I was born.

#132 2022-07-13 12:28:43

Staxfan

Was thinking about him a bit more after posting, think Adam Faith around '60-62, hair, clothes and similar build, probably same west London accent,
BTW I read a few years ago a biography of Adam Faith, I found it interesting particularly the early days of his career, somewhere in there one of the guys ( Russ Ballard), in his backing band ( The ' Roulettes'), said he and the other band members, who were a couple of years younger than AF , were all early mods ( even modernists), worth a read if you like that period, Russ Ballard went on to be a fairly successful 'prog rocker' in the early '70's, solo and prior to that in a band called Argent which was fronted by Rod Argent who had previously been in the Zombies pop band which is probably of no interest to anyone on here !

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Mods, The Ivy League And Working-class Menswear -

Board footer