You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-03 06:22:45

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Ivy/Italian crossover

This thread is not only about the Continental style in the USA, Jivy Ivy, the Rat Pack suits. It's also about combinations of these styles.... Alex has often mentioned his mix-and-match-approach, and I thought it's worth a thread over here. We had a lot of purist Ivy topics, and I've started a thread recently about "British tailoring and Ivy sensibilities"... so here's the Italian thread.

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#2 2009-10-03 06:24:24

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: Ivy/Italian crossover

Good move.

To be a real Purist is to embrace the whole spectrum.

#3 2009-10-03 06:35:26

AQG

#4 2009-10-03 06:42:11

Alex Roest

Last edited by Alex Roest (2009-10-03 06:43:29)

#5 2009-10-03 07:02:11

adam!
The Future

My favourite outfit of mine  is  my navy blazer(natural shoulder, cut pretty short, really slim fitting, patch/flap pockets, 3/2 lapel), white Brooks tab collar, burgundy, green and yellow repp tie, short-ish and slim(14.5 inch bottoms) POW check trousers, burgundy socks, brown Italian style basket weaves shoes.

Sometimes worn with a navy cardigan - I like the idea of knitwear under a jacket to make it more casual.

Italian cut, but with ivy details?

The super-slim Italian cut, however, presents problems with footwear - many's the time I've stood infront of the mirror with the basket weaves exchanged for black Sebago Classics and just thinking it looked horrendous. Don't get me wrong, I like my basket weaves - but ivy they ain't!

#6 2009-10-03 09:14:17

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

I also have to refer to the JS website that mentions "Roman Holiday" and Marcello Mastroianni. There's also a "tribute to the Italian male".

Roman Holiday:

http://videodromeradio.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/roman_holiday_ver3.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Holiday

Marcello Mastroianni:

http://www.archivioimmaginicinema.com/marcello_mastroianni_attore_tra.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcello_Mastroianni

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000052/

Maybe GG has some input here...

“No Room For Squares”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#7 2009-10-03 09:15:29

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

And, of course, Daniele's input would be most interesting!

“No Room For Squares”

#8 2009-10-03 12:33:42

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

A quote from Eric Clapton's autobiography around the time he joined John Mayall:

EC wrote:
"Another club I used to hang out was the Scene. I used to watch, and finally made friends with, a small group of guys who hung out there and who had a big influence on how I wanted to look at the time. They wore a hybrid of American Ivy League and the Italian Look, as personified by Marcello Mastroianni; one night they might be wearing sweatshirts with baggy trousers and loafers, on another maybe linen suits. They were an interesting bunch because they seemed to be miles ahead of anyone else in terms of style."

as quoted by Chris H. in this thread:

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?id=5227&p=2

“No Room For Squares”

#9 2009-10-03 13:06:52

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

It might also be interesting to find out what that Italian look at the time was like... I guess, there was much more change/ modification than with the Ivy League Look...

What's often mentioned is:

-"bumfreezer jackets": very short box jackets with narrow lapels, a one-piece-back, sometimes with a half belt, usually short side vents

-"drainpipe trousers": narrow trousers, often with a slit or a buttons at the trouser bottoms, sometimes slanted bottoms or stepped bottoms, usually they had very narrow trouser bottoms (that's why they were called drainpipes), but there

-"winklepicker shoes": pointed toes, elongated, often suede, sometimes fancy things such as "alligator hide" or unusual colours, side laces were popular, as well, Venetian Loafers and loafers with a higher vamp, too... after the pointed toes came chisel toes and almond toes...

-"giraffe shirts": high collars, often tab collars, small, rounded club collars and button down shirts had also higher collars

Most jackets were single-breasted, but those that were double-breasted were different from the traditional British style of DB suits, they had a very small crossover.

High button stance, high gorge, usually.

I guess, the shoulders were broader than the Americans shoulders, but there might have been soft constructions, too. JS mentions the rounded sleeveheads.

The jackets became longer, later on, and eventually, the trousers had a lower rise... Jackets with a lot of waist suppression also became popular...

There must have been a lot of variation.

The originators of that Roman style were companies such as Brioni, Caraceni and Cifonelli.... Brioni was most popular. Americans went there, too.

The Neapolitan style is often mentioned, as well, on the MBs. This shirt shoulder thing seems to be similar to the natural shoulder, but I don't really know about it...

Someone else might know a little bit more... (the expert seems to be a certain Antongiovianni wink )

What about Milan, Venice etc...?

I guess, most cities, or even most tailors, would have their own personal style....

Maybe Daniele can help here....

“No Room For Squares”

#10 2009-10-03 14:05:02

DB

I don't know if the Polo Blue label jackets made by Corneliani qualify for purposes of this discussion.  They have a sweater-like shoulder (zero padding), relatively slim lapels with a beautiful 3/2.5 roll.  Only complaint are the darts.

#11 2009-10-04 01:21:41

Alex Roest

Another good example of what works within an IL context IMO is the high collared Italian button-down shirt as can be seen in this thread :

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?id=2656

Also their idea of a good tie is a lot more adventurous than the repp tie, their footwear more streamlined than what, say, Alden has to offer and their fine and soft, colourful knitwear appeals a lot more to me than the humble shetland for instance. Having said that there is a place and a time for everything I've just mentioned so it's up to the individual to pick and choose if they are so inclined. Obviously wearing an Italian suit w/a BB shirt, repp tie and weejuns wouldn't work as well as the sack suit worn with my earlier suggestions, but I guess that's open to debate...

Last edited by Alex Roest (2009-10-04 01:25:47)

#12 2009-10-04 02:42:58

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Agnelli? He would only wear BB shirts (not buttoned down) with his otherwise Italian clothes...

“No Room For Squares”

#13 2009-10-04 02:58:27

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#14 2009-10-04 03:03:43

Alex Roest

#15 2009-10-04 03:06:21

Alex Roest

Last edited by Alex Roest (2009-10-04 03:19:04)

#16 2009-10-04 03:17:33

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”

#17 2009-10-04 03:31:57

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

... And I think that the Italian crossover then fed into Jivey Ivy and so on to The Rat Pack...

'Continental' was the term that the US used for all this slimmed down Ivy. You see it in the old ads - Especially for Trou/Chinos. Later 'Continental' was to be the term for the 2 button updated American suit.

"The 1950s were a very good decade for Brooks Brothers. After the wide, two-button, double-breasted suits and heavily padded shoulders of the previous decade, men seeking progress up the corporate ladder, especially on Wall Street and among Madison Avenue advertising agencies, turned in the early 1950s to the look dubbed "Ivy League." This style echoed Brooks Brothers by the adoption of natural shoulders and narrow lapels, with narrow ties the necessary accessory. (Brooks Brothers, however, refused to take this look to the "jivey Ivy" extreme popular at the time, keeping its lapels three inches wide and its ties 3 1/2 inches wide.)"

"In men's wear, by the late 1950s "Ivy League" was being challenged by the Continental Look, a chestier two-button style. After John F. Kennedy, wearing a two-button suit, outpointed three-buttoned Richard Nixon and won the presidency, Brooks Brothers, in 1961, unveiled a new two-button suit. It retained the company's natural shoulders, notched labels, and center vent, but was trimmer and more tailored, with a longer roll to the lapels and slightly more waist suppression."

http://www.answers.com/topic/brooks-brothers

#18 2009-10-04 03:43:59

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”

#19 2009-10-04 03:47:55

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Nice hair on Mr. USA. I might go that way next.

#20 2009-10-04 03:48:22

Alex Roest

#21 2009-10-04 03:53:12

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Last edited by Hard Bop Hank (2009-10-04 04:04:47)

“No Room For Squares”

#22 2009-10-04 03:57:37

Alex Roest

#23 2009-10-04 04:11:35

Alex Roest

Last edited by Alex Roest (2009-10-04 04:11:49)

#24 2009-10-04 05:25:10

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#25 2009-10-04 06:02:57

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”

Board footer