You are not logged in.

#26 2022-06-01 07:44:23

AFS

Re: Tyrolean Hats and Loden Coats

Didn't Obama turn up in London to wag a fatherly finger at the likes of naughty Nigel? 
Objectively, however, the American establishment was bound to lean in that direction, since the European ideal was partly of their creative thinking post-1945.  Anyone interested should read Corelli Barnett on the subject, particularly 'The Audit Of War' and 'The Collapse Of British Power', in which he sets much in context, heaping blame upon chaps like Charles Dickens for being weak-kneed, lily-livered Christian liberals and the Americans for going along with the foolish Churchillian/Thatcherite notion of a 'Special Relationship'.  With a reactionary monarchy rather than a republic like France?

#27 2022-06-01 07:47:24

AFS

You can get a jolly good education by reading 'Talk Ivy'!

#28 2022-06-01 09:47:22

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Yes he (Obama) arrived in London on the pretext of visiting the Queen when she turned 90, but made that speech. Also, Hilary Clinton, Angela Merkel, the heads of the IMF, the World Bank, numerous foreign states and global corporations were making speeches urging voters to vote remain. The sense of disquiet and unease amongst the global elite was palpable.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#29 2022-06-01 09:52:46

AFS

On a lighter note and although we can no longer see the image, wasn't it Yuca who posted a lone tin of Heinz baked beans facing a whole host of scrummy continental items? 
I really enjoyed that.

#30 2022-06-01 12:05:45

Tworussellstreet

Woof : "The sense of disquiet and unease amongst the global elite was palpable".

So Boris Johnson, Farage, Trump and Charles Moore are not members of some mythical 'global elite'? Then who the hell is? The right is so clever at playing on populist knee-jerk sentiment that the people being played never question who is making the absurd accusations. If this much-mocked 'elite', by which you can take to mean an educated, thoughtful, considered and balanced collection of opinion, is of the consensus that nations forming peaceful, progressive, nurturing unions is by and large a good thing then I'm all for such an enlightened, critical, intelligent mode of world governance. Fragmentation and the return to nationalisms and the sovereignty of the nation state will only lead us in one direction. The answer and response  to Putin's aggression? The collective, the strengthening of NATO and the EU. The 'elites' have come together to challenge a new tyranny. Britain alone is a feeble, embarrassing joke.

#31 2022-06-01 12:13:10

AFS

I have to say, I agree with much of what TRS is saying here.  The obvious glee with which some (on the Left as well as the Right) ponder that fragmentation does not bode well, I'm afraid.  It's a massive step backwards, towards the world as it existed before 1945 if not 1914. 
I remember a debate in the Lords in which Nigel Lawson spoke of greater opportunities for Britain if we left the EU.  I assumed at the time he meant getting chummy with China.  What might have been in it for Nige, one can't help wondering.

#32 2022-06-01 12:45:41

Kingston1an

“If this much-mocked 'elite', by which you can take to mean an educated, thoughtful, considered and balanced collection of opinion, is of the consensus that nations forming peaceful, progressive, nurturing unions is by and large a good thing then I'm all for such an enlightened, critical, intelligent mode of world governance.’

Elite means ‘the owners of this country’ as George Carlin referred to them when discussing the USA. Vanguard, Blackrock, the Davos crowd. Boris Johnson aspires to be part of it but none of those you mention are. Trump is a maverick who is rocking the boat.

‘We know what they want. More for themselves and less for everybody else.’

Many are realising this as their job goes overseas, they lose their pension and unelected officials or their place men call the shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ4SSvVbhLw

Last edited by Kingston1an (2022-06-01 12:50:33)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#33 2022-06-01 13:54:42

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

If only the EU were the equitable, cohesive body working for the common good that it’s proponents like 2RS portray it to be. It is in thrall and subject to intensive lobbying by large corporations, for whose convenience it operates in its undemocratic way. Brussels, a small city, has more Michelin starred restaurants than London or Paris - that says it all about the expense account under the table double dealing that is going on there. A steady supply of cheap foreign labour has enabled business to hold wages down artificially and conduct the biggest attack on workers rights in modern times - in this country with the connivance of successive governments right and left. Having advanced NATO right up to Russian borders, followed by years of prodding the Bear, it’s response to the inevitable retaliation has been disjointed and is the true embarrassment in this tale. Meanwhile, the UK who for years has paid it’s full dues into NATO unlike the rest (apart from Poland and Greece) has stood four square behind the Western response. Extreme right wing political movements are now serious contenders for government in France and Germany - yes all sounds wonderful. To most of the liberal la-di-dahs who bemoan our exit from this axis of evil the EU means little more more than the loss of hassle free weekends on the continent, cheap mobile data abroad and plenty of exploited but charming East Europeans to serve your cappucino.

John Simons

#34 2022-06-01 14:41:27

AFS

And to think it all began with Tyrolean hats (apparently worn by Lionel Hampton, Clifford Brown and others on their European tour) and Loden Coats.  Then it began to spin slowly out of control and resemble 'Question Time'.

#35 2022-06-01 14:51:47

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

4F Hepcat had the measure of a lot of this, he spoilt it with his extreme views on certain religious topics.

John Simons

Board footer