You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-25 05:14:05

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

The Ivy Bug!

#2 2009-10-25 13:00:43

The Ace Face

Re: The Ivy Bug!

I was into what I considered a preppy-American/Paul Weller look when I was in the upper Sixth-form. Also David Byrne in this period struck some resonance, he was wearing button downs including some interesting tartans.  Then I went to Liverpool Poly and everybody except me wanted to be a goth, listen to Indie bands and hot knife whilst talking about utter shite, particulary how cannabis makes you enjoy bass lines more. At the stage, I looked more like a member of The Smiths, with a Lakeland nubuck jacket and brown suede shoes. That was already old hat and not very hip.

Afterwards, I always went with the classic button down and chinos, but never really put it in its cultural and historical background and jazz style that subconciously was always been my goal.  This site, and a few others, have concentrated the style and turned it into a quest for the essence. A Holy Grail, that is cool jazz, hard bop, the Beats and Montgomery Clift combined into one.  I haven't maxed out by credit card, but my pockey money, exclusively goes on Ivy style and jazz.  Nothing else (maybe I need a mistress).

At work, colleagues comment on my collars, shirts and jackets, always positive, mainly ladies. I've even converted a few disciples to the gospel of Brooks Brothers. Not yet Grant Green and Donald Byrd.  Its also a style that is relaxed, its smart without being rigid or too formal. I can wear my shirts and ties uptown in the penthouse, downtown with the mob, as Heaven 17 once sang.  Its a style for all seasons.

Draped and sculpted hep cat suit - as worn by His Royal Hepness, Cab Calloway

#3 2009-10-26 02:54:35

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Very nice & you throw new names into the mix too, Ace.  Thanks.

Monty keeps coming up, which is always nice to see. One Trick Pony & Staceyboy, amongst many others, rate him too (including me).
Until I read about it here I wasn't aware of the Monty / Clash connection and have since been shown a Dexy's 45 sleeve that uses Monty as Prewitt with his bugle (?) in From Here To Eternity as its cover.

A resonant chap it would seem, Mr. Clift.

The Face magazine did an article on him too, back in the early 80's...

Best -

Last edited by Russell_Street (2009-10-26 02:56:20)

#4 2009-10-26 02:57:42

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_uB-0D-gV8mY/SGLxZzlA1tI/AAAAAAAAJzs/Eu-qUuOyvcw/s400/dexys

Board footer