You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-06 13:34:10

Get Smart

Brooks Brothers "extra" slimfit shirts

Finally got to try these on, pretty damn good fit for Brooks.  Their "slimfit" was only slim if you were fat.  The extra slimfit fits as one would expect it to.  Picked up a few and I'm well pleased with them.  Good enough collar roll (better than most "designer" shirts that have a similar fit but horrible collar roll) and it surprised me to buy something from Brooks tagged Size Med that fit to my liking.

Worth a look if you're in the market for new RTW shirting

#2 2009-11-06 13:38:41

The Ace Face

Re: Brooks Brothers "extra" slimfit shirts

Brooks slimfit, is similar to RL custom fit, but a better fit.  Definitely not really for slim men, they're baggy and mainly for suckers who want the illusion of being slim. Just like me.

Draped and sculpted hep cat suit - as worn by His Royal Hepness, Cab Calloway

#3 2009-11-06 13:42:54

Get Smart

I'd always thought the "slimfit" was vanity termed, so bigger guys could say "hey I can fit into a slimfit shirt now"

#4 2009-11-06 13:42:58

1,966% Ivy

Last edited by 1966 (2009-11-06 13:45:25)

#5 2009-11-06 14:01:32

ScarletStreet

In all honestly Black Fleece worn at suggested chest size isn't as slim fit as a lot of skinny guys prefer their shirts.  I have a 31" waist but I have come to enjoy the little bit of extra material . Maybe its so many years of wearing such tight fitting shirts that makes the change a welcome one. That being said Black Fleece are still quite a bit slimmer than Brooks Slim Fit. I will give the extra slim fit a look if they offer the Made in the USA oxfords in that cut.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it." -- H.L. Mencken

#6 2009-11-06 14:10:20

Get Smart

Black Fleece sizing is really odd/whack this season

Previously the BB0 fit me best, sleeves just a touch .5" short of ideal, but good overall.  This season I couldnt even stick my arms into a size BB0(!!!), but BB1 is still too big for me without some tailoring to slim the body.  So it's like there's a 2 size jump from BB0 to BB1 in the 2009 shirt sizing.

But the Extra slims arent made in USA and doubt they ever will be for the price point, so if manufacturing pedigree is of importance these won't fit your bill

#7 2009-11-06 14:23:10

ScarletStreet

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it." -- H.L. Mencken

#8 2009-11-06 14:24:51

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

You can't beat the traditional full cut Oxford Shirts by Brooks! I think I'd prefer them, even if I had 12 pound less...

Slim fit is nice as an additional option, but the originals are still the greatest!

Extra slim is probably too different from the typical Ivy silhouette for my taste.

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#9 2009-11-06 14:29:48

Get Smart

it depends on your physique.  the normal Brooks traditional cut is just way too baggy when the neck/shoulders are sized to fit correctly, on me.  I have a hard time believing the current traditional fit offering is what Brooks used to make in their heyday, as they've surely adjusted to the fattening of typical American men in their shirt sizing.  I used to buy shit-ton of vintage shirts from 50s/60s (not Brooks but stuff like Mr California, Sir Guy etc) and nothing in a size Med from then fits like what Brooks currently sells as a "medium"

just a note, the extra slimfit is not skin tight, the size Med sport shirt and 15/33 dress shirt (both are sized similar) fits slimly tailored but is not tight at all, there's room to make it even more fitted if one wanted, but as a relaxed slim fitting shirt goes, it's quite a nice cut and enough room for dessert.

Last edited by Get Smart (2009-11-06 14:36:39)

#10 2009-11-06 15:32:36

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist

#11 2009-11-06 15:33:46

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist

#12 2009-11-06 16:27:53

KCKclassic

Some people hate the English, I don't, they're just wankers. We, on the other hand, were colonized by wankers, Can't even pick a decent culture to be colonized by...

#13 2009-11-06 17:00:17

ScarletStreet

Yeah I could understand that. When I am referring to fit its all a matter of degree to me. I have an eight inch chest/waist drop so any RTW shirt is going to be a little loose through the torso.  The difference I am talking about is between a Band of Outsiders shirt, and Black Fleece/Gitman shirt fit. Slim and slightly boxy is now my preference as opposed to rear darts and extremely close fitting. I will wear Brooks Slim Fit but it's pretty damn loose on me. The traditional fit is out of the question. And as to GS' statement about how much bigger shirts fit now as opposed to the past I think it depends on brand. I have had plenty of older Brooks shirts and for the most part they are extremely full cut. That doesn't mean, however, that the Ivy look always required the full cut. Plenty of shirt makers did a much slimmer cut.  Our fearless leader points out often that there is pictorial evidence for nearly every type of cut in the Ivy timeline, I think The Look's blog bears this out.

#14 2009-11-06 17:15:14

colin
Bright Light

It definately seems to depend on your take - I've come across some pictures of really slim fitting clothes. I think age seems to influence it too, if you're a skinny whippersnapper where lots of people tend to love skinny fitting clothes.

As John Simons said to me, currently all your peers are wearing really slim, low-waisted trousers - but soon the proper high-waisted trouser will come back 'in'. For me it's wearing what fits for me, so for some on here the fuller cut is right, and for those like me, KCK and others, it's wearing that slimmer (more fashion-based?) cut?

But I'm far from clued-up. Yet.

#15 2009-11-06 19:42:06

Get Smart

I dont like all these different distinctions of fit....at the end of the day there is only one fit and that is the PROPER fit, in terms of an idealized sense of proportion and ratio based on the wearer.  of course there is subjectivity to how loose or fitted a garment is but the range of Proper fit shouldnt be that huge.  A Brooks traditional fit in a size small is in no way the proper fit for me.  Neither is their slim fit.  The extra slim fit I think is a good fit for what would be deemed correct on me, but it's not because I'm trying to look fashiony, it's just the way a shirt should fit so it doesnt billow out like a tent and all the proportions from neck to shoulder to chest to torso to sleeve are all within this idealized framework.

#16 2009-11-07 03:37:39

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#17 2009-11-07 03:55:08

The Ace Face

^Cool indeed.  I've noticed Miles in the '50's was always wearing baggy shirts.  And there is a certain style to a baggy and boxy shirt, it has a certain style and masculine charisma....in some cases. It is indeed probably a more Ivy silhouette, as Hard Bop Hank points out.  I'm waiting on an order from Mercer with the full 'baggy is better' versions, so I will see.

Its always annoying when a slimmer fit shirt is automatically described as "more modern" and "fashion fit", like who gives a fuck?

Draped and sculpted hep cat suit - as worn by His Royal Hepness, Cab Calloway

#18 2009-11-07 04:25:09

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

Horses for courses really. I can appreciate why some like a trim fitting shirt but for me personally the image of Miles Davis above sums up my mind's eye vision of an idealized fit.

Similarly Fred Astaire in 'Funny Face' gets considerable mileage out of a blue Brooks shirt in the first half hour of the film. His shirt would be considered voluminous by today's standards and he was a very slightly built man, but he looks top-hole. His pants were much higher in the rise and he uses his tie as a belt, all adding up to one of the most iconic uses of the garment on celluloid.

#19 2009-11-07 04:44:30

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#20 2009-11-07 06:36:34

colin
Bright Light

#21 2009-11-07 08:43:32

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

I got a lot of tailor made shirts that I hardly wear anymore, because I got them made extremely fitted... I could wear them for a year and a half maybe, and it was a great look, I thought... I just don't feel comfortable in those shirts anymore... and comfort is what I'm looking for in a shirt, or in clothes in general, but especially in a button down shirt. I used to think that it's all about aesthetics, but what I didn't realize, was the fact that comfort is part of aesthetics, too. You look ten times better if you feel comfortable and relaxed.

Sometimes, at a mod do, or a soul allnighter I'm the only one who's wearing a baggy shirt, but I can really move! Some tight arse mods in their stiff, tight clothes just stand around in the corner... That's also the reason why I can't stand a sewn down box pleat, anymore.... If it is sewn down, it's not really functional, is it?

I'm not saying that I'm completely against slim fit shirts. One of my mates is so skinny, he definitely needs a slim fit one, but I don't think there is just one proper fit. Of course, it's a matter of taste, too. However, one should always consider comfort as well. Otherwise you don't look natural, and that's what it's all about.

“No Room For Squares”

#22 2009-11-07 08:53:24

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

#23 2009-11-07 08:54:53

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

#24 2009-11-07 09:06:10

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

The debate on fit is a good one with a lot of sense from everybody up above.

I also have jackets in different fits to wear in different ways - Jesmond does this too - Some need a Shetland or whatever to pad them out, some are best with just a BD. One jacket can rarely do the same two jobs in my experience.
Plus, then you can mix it up with a loose fitting jacket over a BD sometimes or a really fitted look if you wear Lambswool or Merino under a more tailored cut.

But, as GS says, the most important thing is that your clothes fit YOU. And hopefully also flatter.

#25 2009-11-07 09:28:07

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Board footer