You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-13 19:36:00

tmc22

I believe

I have always believed that these web sites involved far more than clothes. I have always believed that they were descriptive of money and class and social position. I have always believed that an acute observer of the social scene could read the posts on this website and write an interesting story about the posters (possibly not to their credit). The social scale is an an ever changing tableau. And every participant runs the risk of ending up in someone's snarky novel, or some page 6 story.
      I have lived a life that travelled far in a restricted millieu. I became engaged to someone who knows about the battle of western culture against the East. It is not a conservative  or liberal divide. It is the battle between our values and inferior values, pure and simple.

Last edited by tmc22 (2009-11-13 19:44:47)

#2 2009-11-13 20:01:11

tmc22

Re: I believe

Just as an addendum to stir up trouble. We have no idea of the achievments of our culture. We don't
appreciate the artistic achievements, we don't have a regard for the culmination of our poetic greatness: Tennyson, Browning,, Byron and Longfellow. We have no idea of the artistic achievments  of the West.
  We still have a tiny grasp of the intellectual achievements of our ancestors. We still value freedom of speech, freedom of worship, freedom from want,
freedom from fear. They used to Call them the Four Freedoms. The foundation of a civilized society.
A few of us try to defend the old values.

Last edited by tmc22 (2009-11-13 20:14:22)

#3 2009-11-14 03:26:52

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I'd agree that that's what the ol' Trad game is/was all about.

The clothes were just the excuse for trying to talk about the above.

NeoCon + NeoPrep = Trad.

So few were actually ever really into clothes or style. The clothes were just a prop for all the rest.

^ And the exceptions to the above were damn few, but when we saw them they could be very good.

Last edited by Russell_Street (2009-11-14 03:33:20)

#4 2009-11-14 07:01:51

Big Tony

"What sort of post-apocalyptic deathscape is this?"
"I don't want to look like a cock hungry sailor after all !!!"
"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#5 2009-11-14 09:55:49

The Ace Face

If Western culture is in engaged in battle with the East, I believe the 'yellow-peril' is what it used to be called, why are all our business leaders and vulture capitalists busy relocating all our manufacturing there?

Western culture gave us Nazism and the war against "inferior" values/genes, eugenics wot?

TMC, what's the message and what's the solution?  You've scattered some fiddlesticks that's all.....

Last edited by The Ace Face (2009-11-14 09:57:46)

Draped and sculpted hep cat suit - as worn by His Royal Hepness, Cab Calloway

#6 2009-11-14 11:25:01

BulldogNH

Last edited by BulldogNH (2009-11-14 11:30:52)

#7 2009-11-14 12:55:04

The Ace Face

^All very well good, but exactly how will this effect the dollar in my pocket?

#8 2009-11-14 13:50:12

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Very interesting stuff on the 'Neo-Con.' front.

I call them Neo-Cons because they are not 'proper' old fashioned Conservatives to my English eyes.
Harris, I recall, was so fond of Thatcher that he called himself 'Thatcher Chauncey' once &, when challenged, linked his choice of name directly to her.

- Thatcher was no old school Conservative. And it was the old school Cons. who ultimately got rid of her once she had been of use. She went far too far to the right & the real Conservative party actually loathed her.

So what can we call these people if not Neo-Cons? Pseudo-Cons? Revisionist-Cons? I know Conservatism as I had it bred into me - And it is nothing like the right wing stuff we see today. Real Conservatism isn't anywhere near as rabid as the current stuff, the whole point of it is that it isn't radical.

Tom's POV above is more like Right Wing radicalism than Conservatism to my mellow, foggy English eyes.

But then England, my England, is another country...

'Nostalgic Conservatives'?   Hmmmmm - But like their historic knowledge of clothes their historic knowledge of Conservatism is also only a patchy pastiche?

Maybe?

Last edited by Russell_Street (2009-11-14 13:56:27)

#9 2009-11-14 14:32:45

The Ace Face

You can call them Ishmael if you want, but Thatcher represented the ultimate in self preservation for the ruling elite. It helps if you imagine Dennis giving two fingers up as he ineptly harvested "managed" Burmah-Castrol, whilst listening to this excellent Quincy Jones track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_R5VTfE_Sg&feature=related

The Tory rags, including The Telegraph which on 13-11-09 had one of Simon Heffers editorials blaming the lack of moral fibre and unemployment in the UK on the white working class, and the parents of the chavs. I agree, parents are too blame, who was the parent of that spineless bastard currently hiding in a secure compound in Spain, yes, that's him, the boy that squealed Mark 'Scratcher' Thatcher.

Whatever they may be called, by political idealogy or theories, judge them alone by their deeds and actions.

#10 2009-11-14 14:44:55

formby

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#11 2009-11-14 15:12:27

BulldogNH

Last edited by BulldogNH (2009-11-14 15:16:24)

#12 2009-11-14 15:27:08

The Ace Face

#13 2009-11-14 15:38:48

formby

Last edited by formby (2009-11-14 15:40:54)

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#14 2009-11-14 15:45:03

rsmeyer

BulldogNH: Your posts are both elegant and intellectually impeccable. I applaud you, sir!

#15 2009-11-14 16:21:06

BulldogNH

Last edited by BulldogNH (2009-11-14 16:33:30)

#16 2009-11-15 02:19:29

The Ace Face

George W. Bush was a ne'er do well, same as Sir Mark Thatcher, an over priviliged daddy's boy wallowing in mediocrity and failure, and who by a strange preordianed Shakespearian act of tragedy, was destined for power beyond his capabilities. Intellectually he was bankrupt, he has no link or precedence in Wilsonian idealism, or history, that's why his presidency was an abject failure becuase his ideas existed in a vacuum, without historical precedence or concept of history.

What we need now, is men of action, who realise the America and Britain are in decline and that war will not solve the problem, but technological evolution and endeavour.  The elite in Blighty consider this option too hard, involving the hard disciplines of science and engineering, why not become a leader in carbon trading instead?

The means of production are in the final stages of being transferred to the East.  The second phase is now already apparent, the transfer of the intellectual property and design skills, engineers the nice middle class desk jobs and the managerial positions.  One this is transferred, then the West is no longer a player, nor should we underestimate the difficult task in reindustrialising or reviving skills that are lost.  And will China and India be keen to export these skills back, well may be when our labour is as cost effective as the untouchable class in India.

Let the market decide and we already have. 

The Brits and Yanks should look at Germany for industrial policy - high technological manufacturing and exports.  Safe streets and already the driving force taking Europe out of recession. 

I was hoping TMC was going to share his argument with us, and enlighten us with details of what values of ours are being challenged and destroyed by inferior ones, but not yet.

For me, it a simple titanic battle over the means of production and technological advancement.  That was the real battle and mission of the Project for American Century, which got lost in Halliburton oil wars and the desert sands of Iraq.

#17 2009-11-15 02:29:48

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#18 2009-11-15 02:36:47

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#19 2009-11-15 03:00:35

Kingstonian

FNB's answer to The Interchange.

It will need work. Moderator needs to shamelessly promote ideas which he approves of and crush any opposition.

#20 2009-11-15 05:03:30

formby

Souvent me Souvient

#21 2009-11-15 08:39:05

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#22 2009-11-15 08:46:29

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#23 2009-11-15 09:04:43

The Ace Face

Formby: Exactly, China will have to start servicing its own internal markets, which is part of the plan anyway, and then they will turn the back on the West.  We need to ensure that we still have the manufacturing capability and capacity to operate and thrive.  So much manufacturing is being located to not only China, but India. And its not too the same standards.

Look at all the stainless steel contaminated with Cobalt 60 that came out of India last Autumn, the German authorities found 150tons of the stuff alone.

China has come along way in the last 15years, in the mid-90's I was involved with one of the power stations in the New Territories outside of Hong Kong in what was still Communist China.  We were constantly harrassed with endless streams of Non-conformance reports by the Chinese client - we would send boxes of fittings with the item code labelled on the outside with a packing list detailing the contents.  An non-confirmance would arrive advising we had only sent one item, they would not open the box unless specifically instructed.  We sent an iron-fairy mobile crane and received a 76 item non-conformance advising us to replace and ship a new crane out, the items were all to do with paint scuffs and markings on the tyres.

Britain was already importing steel in the 1850's and I attended a lecture by a historian whilst an under-graduate who pinpointed the industrial decline commencing at the time of the 1854 Great Exhibition.  The USA had a more extensive and developed railway network by the time of the Civil War. And Germany had insurance schemes and pensions by the turn of the century. Ofcourse, when we emerged exhausted from WWI and WWII the old game of Empire and navy was already a burden.

The Marshall Plan money, for which we received (contrary to popular opinion) more than any other European nation, was spent on the Welfare State and making a nation fit for heroes. Germany spent her money on industrial reconstruction. 

What I am trying to say, is that Britain needs to do more than just banking if it is to avoid an ever larger and pissed off underclass.

Yucca: I avoided the environmental stuff, as there's enough depression in what I posted already. My missis is studying some post graduate environmental coordination malarkey at present, she informs me enough already.

Still no word from TMC?

#24 2009-11-15 09:09:38

AQG

#25 2009-11-15 09:21:36

The Ace Face

^Maybe TMC could tell us? He's informed us he's engaged to/with(?) someone(M/F?) who knows about the battle of the West against inferior cultures and then to quote Paul Weller from the Eton Rifles "he ran off home for his tea". 

He has no message other than fear.

This bastardisation of "Trad" as something removed from trad-jazz has something sinister at its core. But we await TMC, we await his words of wisdom.

Board footer