You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-09 12:22:28

Miles Away

One for Mr. Coolidge -

I recall you liked Charlie's Pink sweater in 'Metroploitan' -

As do I.

I only have the old original video & I'm blind as a bat, but isn't it a cotton knit not a Shetland?
Can you help me out on this one?
The perfect pink cotton knit is much easier to source than the elusive perfect pink Shetland I suspect. Bleaching could help too.

Am I blind?
Is it cotton?

Many thanks -

Miles

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#2 2006-09-09 14:33:09

Coolidge

Re: One for Mr. Coolidge -

Last edited by Coolidge (2006-09-09 14:35:57)

#3 2006-09-10 00:13:39

Horace

From the pic, it could be cotton.  The Brooks (made in the USA) version of the cotton crew sweater has a "deeper" set collar than the shetland, if that makes sense.  It also had saddle stitching.  I posted a pic of an old cotton Brooks sweater in the thread on worn-out trad threads.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#4 2006-09-10 02:30:40

Miles Away

Pretty sure that Fred's oddly green number was a cotton knit.
Cotton jumpers were always marketed as year round items...

I'd have worn a Shetland tho'.

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#5 2006-09-10 10:41:09

Miles Away

Dear Coolidge,

Andover for the best Yellow Shetland currently out there.
Their current pink is wrong. They had it much better in 2003/2004.
DO THEY HAVE OLD STOCK KNOCKING AROUND ?

Everett LaRose will know -
Helpful and knowledgeable.

An email to him could be well worth it.

M.

Last edited by Miles Away (2006-09-10 10:58:05)

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#6 2006-09-10 10:50:50

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Funny that pink sweater could be a fine cashmere. I just gave mom a bubblegum pink cashmere cable sweater that was a bit snug on me. Id bought it from H.Herzfeld (Or rather, dear old dad paid for it) in maybe 1990. A wonderfully fine, 2 ply crewneck.

God knows how much the bloody thing would cost now. Im so glad i stocked up on cashmere sweaters in the downturn at the beginning of the millenium.

#7 2006-09-10 12:04:12

Miles Away

I like that thought.

I say:

1) Cotton - It looks like it.
2) Cashmere - An inspired suggestion.
3) Lambswool - Doubtful.
4) Shetland - Where's the nap?

But I am watching an ancient video on an ancient player without my glasses.

Thinking of rojo - I can't find the Brooks men's Pink Shetland myself and a lot of what I've been looking at in my catalogues has been far from pastel...
I think that that Pink is more of an Andover thing. Just a hunch.
Press at a pinch.
But I think Andover.

Can't prove it, but...

Who knows?

Edit: Charlie's BD is Brooks, surely?

Last edited by Miles Away (2006-09-10 12:06:02)

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#8 2006-09-10 12:33:03

Miles Away

It's cotton!

Look at the collar!
Look at the close ups in the Giant vibrator of C. talking to Audrey!

And Fred?

Cotton again!

Nice touch is Tom's Loden Shet with bad brown elbow patches in the Pink sweater scene.

A nice grey cashmere on 'It's my head, it's my head' guy too.

IMVHO.

Miles.

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#9 2006-09-11 06:32:47

Miles Away

You know who's missing from chats like this?

Mr. Harris from AAAC.

A Stilman fan with a sharp eye. He'd love all this.

I took a walk last night through the Trad Forum and it was deserted.

English Fogeys and Southern Trads, certainly. But where were the American Trads? Those who wore Brooks, Press, Andover, O'Connells, Eljo's, Cable Car, Silver, J.Simons...

The trolls didn't kill it. The moderators did. Everybody is now banned. Who is there left? A handfull.

Mr. Harris is loyal and I respect that.
The Trad forum could have been great but it was totally over moderated.
Why ban Joe Morgan for example?
Nothing was said that couldn't have been thrashed out & cleared up between the forum members concerned.

If there is a will there could be a new Trad coalition -
Away from too many moderators.
Someplace where you can talk & share your love for this style.
Just a forum to share experiences & knowledge with no attitudes involved & the past all forgotten.
No lampoons, just shared enthusiasm.
It would be great to get all the old faces back together in a place where you can disagree and argue a point from time to time without it being 'ungentlemanly' (And PLEASE show me the 'gentleman' who behaves like a little girl in debate/discussion in the way that has been encouraged elsewhere.)

No more brother's war.

It's a open invitation.

Seriously.

David

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#10 2006-09-11 12:40:08

Brownshoe

David--

I am increasingly disillusioned about the state of things over there.  Recent threads devoted to making fun of "your un-trad boss" and "proles in a trad family" have really soured me on the whole thing.  I don't want to start hating my hobby.

I was posting less and less, I may be out completely.  Longwing and Coolidge are here, but I'll miss Patrick and a few other guys.

When I'm back in a posting mood, I think it'll probably be over here--although I am a bit weirded out by "Trip Chauncey's" over-the-top hostile mockery of Harris.  I've had my problems with the guy, but jeez, that just gets into a whole sickly- uncomfortable area.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Anyway, I agree with you, and as far your invitation goes, I'm in.  Thanks.

PS:

I am completely over the moon over my new Press tweed jacket--the beige patch-pocketed number from this season's catalog--best lapel roll and natural shoulders I have ever personally seen.  A beauty.

Just thought I'd share.

These little brown shoes/are longin' to stray...

#11 2006-09-11 13:36:26

longwing

#12 2006-09-11 21:00:47

Coolidge

What I like about this place, and why I am going to stay here,  is we're doing what we used to do regularly over there before people started leaving:

1. Asking about where to find item X

2. Asking questions like Horace's about the best yellow oxford...stuff that nobody else would get but is important to us. And stuff that actually works in real life. It is true that I own some bright yellow trousers but I don't wear them more than once or twice a year and have ltitle concern about them.  We seem here to focus on something that can actually be worn out in public on a regular basis, not just at a summer cocktail party of a certain kind and really only then, and even then as an object of slight amusement at times.

3. Identifying the origins of some garment we saw in a movie like Metropolitan

4. Reminiscing and learning about the history of trad stores, especially ones I am not old enough to remember. I really think it's fascinating, especially when I find something at a thrift store and you guys have heard of it. That is what I often miss Tom22 for...he knew the old Connecticut stores like the back of his hand, when they closed, etc. It was very useful for dating items.

5. We engage in flights of fancy here without it getting rediculous. This is probably why people who like the other styles on this board don't become violently irritated. I suppose it takes a certain temperament. And no, that is not a "trad" temperament, for God's sake.  Mostly it's just questioning whetehr something would look all right or wondering where to get something rare.

6. Nobody ever annoys me. I know that may change, but people are always posting bait threads over there.  "The squire is coming..." or threads with 5,000 pictures of fountain pens.... are you kidding?

7. The occasional conversations about music that extend beyond the trad members to the whole board...especially the jazz stuff.

Also, I'd like to add for my part that even if Harris has changed his mind on some things, all of us do, I like Harris (as far as one can "like" an internet personality) a lot and wish he'd come over here. If nothing else, the man has fun anecdotes and knows where to find stuff.  If, as the lampoon alleges, it's a pose, maybe it's just a means of finding acceptance for what you wear.  That's probably partly why we're all here.  Most people don't appreciate the art of being well-dressed, whether that's well-dressed trad or not.  Trad gets slammed on its own anyway for not only being well-dressed but also old-fashioned.   The lampoon may argue that Harris is not telling the truth about his sainted father, but even if he isn't, everyone else could be lying about their backgrounds, too, trying to justify why we're all wearing clothes that were at their peak of style in 1961. Either way, we all sure seem to know our stuff about sack suits and oxford shirts!  So I think all of us who are truly in love with trad style and not merely dedicated to showing off pictures of ourselves dressed as squires with our expensive cars should feel free to congregate here.  The trad posts here seem to be on point as far as clothing, and we don't, as we did elsewhere, seem to be irritating those on the site more interested in Neapolitan or English clothing, indeed, sometimes our paths cross amiably when discussing films or literature or store service.

I think it's great.  We can call ourselves bastards or whatever, but I don't think anyone here, as represented by his internet personality, is really much of a bastard. Seem like good sports who love the Ivy clothes, as far as the trad crowd goes, and otherwise very knowledegeable people who while they might not favor Ivy, know how everything is made and about tailoring and all the little details that seperate tolerable manufacture from the excellent and amazing.

I hope we'll be able to keep talking along these lines, and not lose the focus thats been on the clothes, the stores, the goods,  and the humor, without stepping over the line into self absorbtion or what passes for humor elsewhere that people insist is funny but is in fact juvenile and annoying.

My best to you all, I know I'll be sticking around as long as all of you do. And if Harris, Tom22,  Markus, MichaelB, Doctor Damage, stephenson/intrepid (who vanished without a trace from AAAC, leaving his moderator position) or stanshall are reading I hope they'll find time in the future to join us.

Last edited by Coolidge (2006-09-11 21:06:20)

#13 2006-09-11 21:47:23

Horace

Gentlemen,

tears come to my eyes when I realize that any rancor may be coming to an end.  I do hope Harris will pop up now and then.  I miss Markus and Tom22 too.  What happened to Intrepid?  He just fled, huh?

I've got some tradly gear to post in the next couple of weeks.  I look forward to sharing.

Until then,

Yours most assuredly,

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#14 2006-09-12 00:56:49

Miles Away

My 'To do' list:

The Crimson Shop '85-90
Harvard Coop '85-90.
Stuart Shine Northern New England Menswear in Yarmouth (I think) Maine '88.
Montgommery Clift.
John Cheever.

I'm actually doing 2 jobs at the moment so I'm slowing down a bit, but I'll get there.

Miles

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#15 2006-09-12 09:10:04

longwing

It would be hard for me to leave the Trad Forum because it seems the perfect place to post the inane sorts of comments that I tend to make.

I asked the malinas about Intrepid just last week.   He/she replied that there was a dustup with another member.  He left so suddenly that I was afraid of health issues.

#16 2006-09-12 10:12:01

Miles Away

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#17 2006-09-12 10:51:23

Miles Away

Back to Metropolitan -

In the 'Pink Panties on the Lawn scene' (just outside pony-tail guy's place) Tom wears LL Bean Camp Mocs in brown grained leather while Charlie has some rather squarish toed black loafers - Dexters maybe? Not sure.

Oh - and Charlies blue BD isn't Brooks Slimfit as I had thought. Fantastic collar roll but no box pleat, instead it has two lil' shoulder pleats.
I wonder who made it? A great shirt (from the front).

Charlie's best Brooks BD work is in 'Barcelona' where he wears terrible trousers in every scene.

Look at the quality of Trad posts we've got going on at FNB!

M.

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#18 2006-09-12 11:34:28

edmorel

#19 2006-09-12 11:41:39

jmorgan32

Last edited by jmorgan32 (2006-09-12 11:47:31)

#20 2006-09-12 12:14:58

Coolidge

Joe--

Glad to hear the straight dope. I hope you'll drop in here at times when you have an idea or a question or a lead on something.

#21 2006-09-12 12:16:34

Coolidge

Another Stillman issue I'd like to resolve is Des (Chris Eigeman, Metropolitan's Nick)'s madras jacket in "Last Days of Disco" 

I would like to find a blue one like that. It looked like 2 button sack, but I wasn't sure.

#22 2006-09-12 13:34:49

Brownshoe

Longwing--

No offense taken at all.  My objection is to these smarmy threads that not-so-subtly imply that anyone not in the "trad brotherhood" or whatever the ridiculous concept is are subhuman vulgarians fit for mockery and scorn.  So mean-spirited, stupid, and utterly LAME.

#23 2006-09-12 17:10:24

jmorgan32

#24 2006-09-12 18:02:26

familyman

Coming out of my sporadic lurking here to give Joe a hearty welcome back. I've been missing the some of the more rational voices for a while. Damn good to hear from you.

#25 2006-09-12 18:57:58

jmorgan32

Last edited by jmorgan32 (2006-09-12 19:00:13)

Board footer