You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-09 12:29:50

Miles Away

I remember The Crimson Shop...

Just posting this for the moment to remind me to write it.
I've pulled out some old shirts & receipts & (even) a couple of old holiday photos.
I shopped there 85-90 and, just to fill a gap, it struck me that it was one of the  less celebrated Trad names and worthy of being recorded on the Net for my Trad brothers.
I'll get something done later this week.

M.

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#2 2006-09-10 00:14:42

Horace

Re: I remember The Crimson Shop...

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#3 2006-09-10 02:48:09

Miles Away

October of '90 was the last time I was there on Dunster Street.
No idea either when they closed their doors.
With Press on Mount Auburn and Andover on Holyoke it made for a nice morning's shopping before wandering down to the Coop to try your luck...
Back to Boston for lunch then hit Brooks on Newbury Street.

Simple pleasures!

(More to come as time allows)

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#4 2006-09-11 18:54:59

steedappeal

Thank you for reminding me of this now defunct store.

How about the Trad menswear once sold in the pre-Barnes & Noble COOP?

Last edited by steedappeal (2006-09-11 19:01:35)

#5 2006-09-11 21:53:54

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#6 2006-09-12 05:35:13

bosthist

#7 2006-09-14 02:44:15

Miles Away

Hardcore Trad indeed.
And yet their shop premises at 12-18 Dunster Street, Cambridge weren't.
After shopping at Press and then talking the short walk to The Crimson Shop ("Clothiers & Booters to Gentlemen") it was a bit of a culture shock - A large plate glass store front and, once inside, bare white walls, neutral (Grey?) carpeting and pale wood and chrome shop fittings. The result of an early '80's refit or new premises, I'd guess. The counter was one of those large plain white 'stations' in the middle of the shop floor. Very 'Gap'.
No 'soul'.
But the clothes were fantastic - all with The Crimson Shop's own lable and that big red 'C' like a crescent moon. Like Press they must have had others make for them, certainly the shirts were by (the old) Sero and had both companies' names on the label  - 'Sero for The Crimson Shop'.
The prices were very good too - Less expensive than Press and Brooks, but I would say easily equal in quality. In '90 a basic Brooks classic OCBD was $48 and I have a receipt from that year for the Crimson (why do I keep these things?) showing one Sero made 'fancy' imported Blue/Blue Tattersall Parliament poplin BD for $45 and a Sero Madras BD for $37.50 marked down to $30 as it was old summer stock they were selling off. The shirt was bought as Deep Red, Navy, Yellow, Green and is now soft Pink, pale Blue and 2 shades of Khaki after 16 years of washing & wearing. It'll be a sad day when it finally disintergrates.
Their watchstraps were great too - 18mm, real ribbon, not nylon, with their own ribbon 'keeper' and (now that they are showing signs of wear) a white cotton interlining inside the 2 halves of the ribbon to make them a little more 'cushion-y'. A nice little bit of attention to detail I think, and all for $3 a pop.
Tailored wear I admired, but bought from Press (having fallen out of love with Brooks to an extent by then). Certainly all the Ivy details were there mixed in with some 2 button & darted offerings also I'm sure. The focus was 'Trad', though.
I've a holiday photo from the time which has the Crimson's Autumn '90 window display in the background - a lovely Sandy-coloured Tweed 3-to-2 with perfect shoulder slope and a great swirl of Rep ties fanned out by a tower of shirts. A work of art!
Who could have known back then that it wasn't going to last? And that a label which we thought of as secondary to Press and Brooks would acquire the cachet it now enjoys?
As soon as Trip Chauncey lends me his time-machine I'll be going back for some more watchstraps and that Sandy Tweed...

Miles.

Last edited by Miles Away (2006-09-14 03:23:48)

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#8 2006-09-14 04:41:29

Horace

Wow, I didn't r
ecall a Brooks shirt being $48 in '90.  Seems like they were just $38 a few years before.  They were, a hell of a lot more expensive then, adjusting for inflation, then they are now, aren't they?
Funny that.

Anyone know when J. August went out of business?  (Sure, they stay around as a "campus shop" for sweat shirts and shorts and all the other Harvard kit, but no longer are they "shirtmakers" as their sign still indicates).

I understand that in a few years a history of Harvard square will be published with much information, I hope, devoted to all the old shops.

#9 2006-09-14 04:49:11

Miles Away

Last edited by Miles Away (2006-09-14 09:21:49)

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#10 2006-09-15 09:16:43

Brideless Groom

Across the street from LaFlamme Barbershop in the Holyoke Center?  What's in there now?

Board footer