You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-20 21:13:16

Soph

What do you think of this New Purple Label Suit?

#2 2006-03-20 21:49:39

jsprowls9

Re: What do you think of this New Purple Label Suit?

Please take this with a grain of salt:  But... I can't hear you over that mannequin!

</criticism on> Whoever merchandised that mannequin went one step too far. One of the patterned objects needs to go away in order to properly merchandise that jacket for what it is. </criticism off>

Now for serious feedback:

I'd need to see it on you to give a fair opinion. A lot depends on your complexion, personality, and style. At first glance, the contrast seems too bold for most business applications. The deeply cut waist and peaked lapels are also exaggerated compared to the business uniform I encounter every day.

What is your industry? If you are in a fashion-forward industry or are expected to be edgy and creative, it might work for you. Though, this jacket will date itself, quickly. The practical part of me would caution you to consider the longevity of your wardrobe choices, especially if you are in a conservative line of business. Think: "staying power" if that is your purpose for adding a suit to your wardrobe.

How to tame a pinstripe? My recommendation would be with the field of color behind it. I would have chosen a end-on-end weave shirt with a contrast collar, a pocket square to match or compliment the shirt field (say lighter and darker shades of periwinkle); and, a contrasting tie (light clear gold with peri or blue pin dot or narrow wale).

</criticism on> A spread collar is better suited to a half-windsor or windsor knot </criticsm off>

#3 2006-03-20 22:11:49

Teacher

Actually, I like the combination of patterns here. The gingham on the shirt is extremely subtle, and the pocket square and tie are also fairly quiet. The suit coat -- which is the item being showcased -- it the boldest pattern.

#4 2006-03-20 23:00:04

Soph

I posted it because it is interesting and has nice lines, pinned???

I would like it if:
1. notch, I only like peak for formal
2. 2 or 3 button mandatory for business

Then I think it could work

#5 2006-03-20 23:03:02

Soph

#6 2006-03-20 23:36:13

Incroyable

I feel that this outfit can be improved with a colorful tie such as a navy blue with pink patterns or something similar.

Jukebox Babe

#7 2006-03-21 12:32:06

Vaclav

Is that shirt nailhead?

#8 2006-03-22 07:04:45

maximus

I like that suit. I wouldn't wear it, but it looks good on someone with more aggression or confidence in their stance.

I shall commission a suit:

So let it Bespoken
So let it be done!

#9 2006-03-22 08:05:43

epargrevol

That is a fine suit for almost any serious business setting - confident without being pimpish.  I am in the blue shirt and notch lapel camp.  I personally cannot stand pin dot ties. They are wimpish and do not stand up to and balance the suit.  I would try a rich patterned tie with some interest.  The concept is similar to finding balance and complementary tastes when pairing wine and food.  You would never serve a wimpish diluted red with a rich complex dish.  Cheers

#10 2006-03-22 08:59:18

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

I would wear that too. Of course I wear it with a pink end on end shirt with a pinned white collar (silver pin in this case) and white french cuffs with a black, red and silver striped tie, and some darkest brown suede shoes but thats just me.

The shirt is like a waffle weave or a pique, a bit too hip for most industries. Brilliant for the night. White shirts for the office should really be free of self patterns or textures. I think of the tone on tone white shirts as particularly lowbrow for business. However, for a dinner at a nice restaurant, the tone on tone or self stripe and a variety of other white textured fabrics are nice as a deviation from the smoothness of "office" white.

#11 2006-03-22 12:06:10

Tommy Cheese

#12 2006-03-22 12:43:46

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#13 2006-03-22 21:10:58

jsprowls9

Board footer