You are not logged in.

#26 2009-12-30 05:41:37

Alex Roest

Re: Ivy in London

Last edited by Alex Roest (2009-12-30 05:43:01)

#27 2009-12-30 05:54:39

Alex Roest

P.S. Maybe Alistair would be willing to specify what he's wearing here ^, please ?

#28 2009-12-30 07:47:54

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Alex,

Brilliant article which is being read quite furiously at the moment.

Bravo.

-FNB

#29 2009-12-30 07:56:01

Alex Roest

#30 2009-12-30 08:11:20

aljazz
Ivy Original

#31 2009-12-30 09:15:40

Alex Roest

#32 2009-12-30 11:50:09

Yuca

Class.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#33 2009-12-30 12:04:42

adam!
The Future

Really, really great!

When abouts was that taken?

#34 2009-12-30 12:27:24

Yuca

aljazz - please answer the following:

did you consider yourself to be a mod at the time these photos were taken?

did you ever attend r&b/mod clubs e.g. Flamingo, Scene, etc?

did you ever witness any of the (in)famous bank holiday riots?

Thanks for everything.

p.s. the photos are providing me with inspiration.

#35 2009-12-30 12:52:25

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

A bit of vintage Paddy, written again just for Alex:

"Dear Alex,
To understand the Ivy League style in London you first have to understand its split personality.
It belongs here by now but it doesn't really belong here at all in the first place. It was transplanted here by Londoners in love with style.
All this goes way back before me as I only got into IL in 1970 at the Ivy shop Richmond when in my opinion it was already long all over in this country.
The split personality shows itself in many ways. Firstly its a flash style without being flash. The clothes aren't flash. They're very conservative. But the fact that you have them when no one else does is. Total one up manship.
Another thing is that the clothes may be conservative but the wearers mainly aren't. They were those who wanted more than a "sunday best" suit or some fashionable rag from Oxford Street. They were the more adventurous but also those who shunned the "way out". The rule was that if you could spot it easily it wasn't style.
For me IL style is pure quality in every respect. A solid style. For me in 70 I found it when menswear was getting very effeminate. Not me at all. Before IL I mainly wore the clothes my family made. Quality again but different. They saw American ready to wear clothing as a real step down. They couldn't see the style there at all. But For us it made us different. We had a style of our own and one that was international and young. It showed that you were a part of the wider world and not only London. It was to do with travel and wide horizons. You weren't staying put like your Dad!!
I'm no writer but I'll write more if you are genuinely interested in this story which nobody really knows. Jimmy didn't mention money and I don't want any anyway.
Good luck to you and your article. What magazine will it be in or are you in the papers?

Best regards,

P."

#36 2009-12-30 12:56:43

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

"The diamond trade was important because it connected most of the world. It was the most international trade. Antwerp, London and New York were the most common destinations with much travel going on between them.
I am with you that Brooks Brothers in the past was unbeatable. They were always regarded by us as the best. J. Press was a lesser company in every respect:- quality, cut and value. Brooks Brothers produced a plain loafer said to be made by Sebago which was as perfect as their classic shirts. Sadly all of that is all over now. Today where would you go? You can still buy the IL look at J. Press but not the IL quality which was an important part of the IL style.
Do you know the Andover shop in Harvard? Their knitwear is some of the best you will get. For shoes I still wear Sebago's loafers and have done so for nearly 40 years. The leather is lighter now as it is with Bass's loafers but they still retain their style. I have some corduroy trousers that Jimmy gave me from LL Bean which I'm very pleased with. A good balance of the quality, cut and value that I mentioned before. I stocked up on Brooks shirts not so long ago as they had a special offer going on Regent Street. They at least are the least changed of everything. I cant say that I like the Brooks Brothers shops in London. The style of them is all wrong. Too glossy which to my way of thinking always looks cheap.
How did you discover IL as a young man may ask? Being Jimmy's age would it have been at J. Simons? John Simons has done a lot to keep IL alive and to popularise it in England. For that he deserves a medal.
Take care until next time.
Best Regards

Paddy"

#37 2009-12-30 13:00:37

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

"Brooks Brothers is where it all really begins. I dont care what anyone else says. Troy shirt makers Guild were fine shirts. The company burned out in the early years of the 1990s I think. A lot of bad shirts were produced before they finaly folded with various different labels. Buyer beware!!
We talked Jimmy into that Saturday job. He'd never heard of the Ivy shop before that. We went along and teased him a little. He took it well (I think!!).
Sharpness and relaxation?? I am not sure that I follow. IL was a new kind of relaxed smartness. It wasn't "sharp" as I would use that term. It was nothing to do with razor edged creases or anything of that ilk. It was all about a slightly casual formality that spoke of not having to try too hard. A suit is a suit is a suit but an IL suit never puts on a show. It's more "laid back" in its smartness.
Do you like Paul Newman?"

#38 2009-12-30 13:02:43

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

"IL was still a very smart international style even as late as 1970 in Europe. Older men wore it in my community and it was respected as being a move away from the "showy" image that Jewish people are sometimes burdened with by certain others. It was still common in America across the board then and myself and certain others of my generation took it up inspired by the older men. It was nothing to do with youth fashions or pop music for us.
My Partner Jim first took me to the Ivy shop in Richmond in 1970. He had found it while down there on business. Like me he has family in America. I think John Simons always owned the Ivy shop but he used different managers over time to run the shop. I can always remember him being about though along with Ian, little John Lally and other people who came and went.
My first visit to the Ivy shop was only to check it out. The next weekend I returned to buy a blue button down shirt and to see more. Shirts and shoes were the mainstays of the shop I would say. It was a shop with great charm which seemed to us to be transplanted from a film and set down in Richmond. That will sound fancifull but it is the truth. It could have been from Peyton Place.
We never knew Austin's or the Squire shop by the way. We lived worked and played in our own community in North London back then. For me the West End was only Leicester Square for the films. After the Ivy shop we moved straight on to New York through family connections.
The Ivy shop was expensive but not as expensive as some say. I understand it was cheaper than Austins and certainly cheaper than the American shops unless you knew where to go over there. It wasn't all Brooks Brothers for us at first as any menswear shop over there sold IL at one point. Brooks Brothers was our ultimate but you could also pad it out with clothing items which had the Brooks Brothers look from any number of little side street places which as it happens might often be Jewish businesses too.
What formed our choices back then:- 80 per cent films and 20 per cent family. It was a style with great glamour for us. It was a route to not just a wider world as I have mentioned before but at the same time a more adult world. It was a style of great mobilty in every way. Country to country and class to class. Boyhood to manhood.
I hope that at least a portion of all this makes some kind of sense to you."

#39 2009-12-30 13:05:54

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

"The gap is between what you need and what you want. Even a dozen shirts is probably too many for what you need. For what you want that number doesn't even come close when you have a clothes "habit".
Shopping for us was always a social activity:- It was what you did during the day doing the rounds. At night you worked round the bars pubs and clubs in the same way.
Jimmy shopped for England and never wore half of it. You would see him always in the same clothes.
Who needs more than 3 suits max? I have 19. How many do I wear on a regular basis? 2.
I have delayed in answering your Email because the answer is a complicated one. You can get by with a handful of IL clothes as they never wear out. For a person with a clothes habit the point is in display. IL twists that notion:- It is a display of a lack of display. What is then displayed is the man himself and not the clothes. I can wear a blue suit every day for a week with each one different each day if I wish. The suit is not what I'm showing off. What I am showing off is myself. Always the same although the outer wrapping changes. It's "in your face" with out ever being in your face. That is where the "flash" comes in. You can do things that other people can't and you can do them in such a back door way that they can never pin you down. Something is going on with you and they don't know what. It plays with people and gives you an upper hand. It's a game.
With my best regards,"

#40 2009-12-30 13:25:57

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

We ought to link the essay with this forum thread in some way maybe?

Draw people in to the discussion.

#41 2009-12-30 13:30:06

aljazz
Ivy Original

#42 2009-12-30 13:35:29

aljazz
Ivy Original

#43 2009-12-30 13:56:53

Yuca

Thanks again . . .

#44 2009-12-30 14:53:36

Alex Roest

Last edited by Alex Roest (2009-12-30 15:04:09)

#45 2009-12-31 03:35:26

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I'd say that for my era ('78 onwards) there was also a similar divide. Which is why people like Mr. John Gall, Mr. Mark Issacs & Mr. Neil Henderson, et al, are so very interesting - 1980's Modernists who picked up on Ivy and did it so well.

Pre-Alistair's discovery of Ivy in '61, if you go back to the 50's Jazz Modernists then the links between what would later morph into 'Mod' and the Modern Jazz scene were much stronger.
Chris_H dates the death of Modernism to around '62, which would make sense of Alistair's observation that 'Mods' & Jazz Modernists were already different things when he got into Ivy.

#46 2009-12-31 05:09:10

Alex Roest

#47 2009-12-31 05:23:16

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#48 2009-12-31 05:25:40

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#49 2009-12-31 05:29:29

Alex Roest

Last edited by Alex Roest (2009-12-31 05:33:05)

#50 2009-12-31 05:34:54

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Mr. H. is great & also has an Ivy archive - Including the famous FHM John Gall snap.

Board footer