You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Those Lands End Desert Boots (Arrived but going back)

#1 2010-02-11 08:21:55

TheWeejun

Those Lands End Desert Boots (Arrived but going back)

Having enthused about them earlier this week they arrived today (quicker than LE normally are) and here are my impressions.

My first observations are:

1. Coiour is off. Unlike the glorious colour on the UK and US canvas website in real life the colour is darker and very flat. More like cola colour than the tan sandstone in those photos. Not a characterful suede at all.
2. Sizing is WAY off. Following their guide I bought 10.5 US to fit UK 9.5 - they are at least 3/4 of a size to on full size too big and despite being described as medium fit are very wide (Clarks of course are very narrow)
3. They were £80 but they are made in china. Seeing as LE are now selling US made Allen Edmonds I thought they would at least be made in spain or Italy with their long tradition of making clarks copies for 40 years and the euro labour thereofre justifying the price. But based on my knowledge of China shoe production they are paying around £8.00 a pair ex factory for this quality. Seriously.

Sorry guys but these are going back. To me they are just not special as they appeared to be on the website. I'd rather buy Clarks on ebay. For £120 I have crockett & jones DBs, £99 I paid for my Churchs dark green ones, my Italian Astor Flex were £20 in Salo - I think the value of these would have been around £45 max. At that price I would have thought about keeping them but still not worn them as a first choice.

I'd be interested to hear what you guys who also ordered them thought.

Maybe I was expecting too much.

But at least Lands End have a no quibble return.

(EDIT: Looking again at the pictures online - they are simply not colour in real life)

Last edited by TheWeejun (2010-02-11 08:27:00)

"Mr. Weejun is a beast." 1966
www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#2 2010-02-11 10:57:27

The Laird of Enfield

Re: Those Lands End Desert Boots (Arrived but going back)

Looks like yir luck's deserted ye.

#3 2010-02-11 11:15:38

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Anything from China has dubious quality. Forget all the BS about fantastic growth rates, etc, ad infinitum.

Its all shit. From shirts to castings of valves, from certificates signed by several independent third parties to acrid air that is breathed.

The mission was simple to steal the technology from the West and then fuck us off.  We're in the fuck them off stage exactly now.

More tea vicar?

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#4 2010-02-11 11:24:18

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

#5 2010-02-11 11:28:51

The Laird of Enfield

#6 2010-02-11 20:57:57

shamrockmonkey

they looked like shite at the store. LE and bean still have some decent stuff, but in their senseless quest to keep the exact prices from 1982 (in a country full of cheap, low quality "preppy" clothes) its getting harder by the day. LE buttondown shirts have always been, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck in a utility dress shirt, now even those have gone overseas.

right on about the valves, hepcat. although its illegal within the city limits of chicago, my old boss started to send all that crap out to the jobs...every single damn valve they sent out leaked. so much for "made to american specifications....."apollo" brand i think they were. dont get me started on the tolerances for fittings....

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#7 2010-03-08 07:08:30

TheWeejun

Last edited by TheWeejun (2010-03-08 07:09:24)

www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#8 2010-03-08 07:25:24

Big Tony

I think you might have to accept the reality that these shoos will never be made today to match your rose-tinted remembrances of the past. Time to move on, I'm afraid.

"What sort of post-apocalyptic deathscape is this?"
"I don't want to look like a cock hungry sailor after all !!!"
"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#9 2010-03-08 08:06:57

TheWeejun

You're right Tony, except that in Italy, Spain and Portugal there are still factories making fantastic desert boots for local consumption with funny regional brand names, all of them Clarks copies of one kind or another but mostly excellent quality. My Astor Flex made in Verona were €25.00 and the model name on the box is 'Tipo Clark' !

www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#10 2010-03-08 08:21:40

Big Tony

"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#11 2010-03-08 08:30:49

TheWeejun

Check the post I just made Big T. I thought it deserved to be given it's own thread and not buried under the negative press of the LE boots.

I can vouch for those Astorflex myself, lovely chunky crepe soles too.

www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#12 2010-03-08 23:13:51

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist

#13 2010-03-09 01:20:09

TheWeejun

The size thing alone should have been picked up before putting them on the market. You're right canoes are exactly what they were!

www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#14 2010-03-12 08:58:55

Big Tony

#15 2010-03-14 20:12:38

maninasuitcase

Saw the LE boots in Sears this weekend, agree they don't look so hot. Penneys had Arizona Jean Co db's on sale for $40, also not so hot, but probably as good as the LE ones for half the price if anyone is looking for some cheapies.

The LE store within a store at Sears was a bit underwhelming, no tailored fit clothing, none of the canvas line. But nice to be able to try on a few things in real life.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Those Lands End Desert Boots (Arrived but going back)

Board footer