You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-22 02:05:07

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Always Fun - 'Trad'.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102569

- Gotta smile at the idea that 'I' don't post there!

Ol' Tally is very good on this subject - A nice surprise for me. I though he was more Traddy than that. And I'm very happy that he's not. Bravo.

P. Golden is... P. Golden. A Harrisite parasite. All that's missing here is Alden Pyle's endless faux-historicist defence of 'Trad'. With pictures. From 'Life'.

... So what is 'Trad'? 

It's a marketing trick.

Enjoy!

Russky.  wink

#2 2010-02-22 19:30:48

Trad to the Bone

Re: Always Fun - 'Trad'.

How funny.  All this time I thought "AdamsSoutherland" was Russell_Street!

TB

#3 2010-02-23 02:00:42

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#4 2010-02-23 09:43:15

Trad to the Bone

Don't be ashamed!  It's just part of the game.  Round and round we go!

Just having fun here.

And wearin' Press.

TB

Last edited by Trad to the Bone (2010-02-23 09:43:25)

#5 2010-02-23 10:49:52

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Tally really is on fire on that thread now - Well worth a re-read for those who haven't bothered to keep up with it.

And all he says is surely so, IMVHO.

Where things still fall down is the idea that 'Trad' is something to be proud of...  It remains a thing made up on the Internet. A newbie take on Classic American Dress for Newbies. Who like to play at iGents.

That's the bit we still need to fix in the construct...

Oh, And I'm wearing Press too today as it happens - With the SF label.

#6 2010-02-23 10:54:55

Big Tony

Trad - the beautiful dream that wasn't. Our good friend and neighbour 'arry betrayed something that could have been a new way of looking at old things. But instead he made it into an old way of looking at new things, and it was stillborn.

Enemy of the people!

"What sort of post-apocalyptic deathscape is this?"
"I don't want to look like a cock hungry sailor after all !!!"
"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#7 2010-02-23 10:54:56

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

It does suit Andyland though.

#8 2010-02-23 11:47:58

The Look

#9 2010-02-23 11:53:20

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#10 2010-02-26 14:16:31

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102720

And still the idea that Ask Andy 'Trad' isn't just an internet originated jape.  Well, I suppose they need to believe that.

What else do they have?

Or...

Alan C. is just propping up the con trick so Andy doesn't look like the mug he is?

Either way, I'm laughing:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbVaF7GG7ro

#11 2010-03-06 18:43:37

Raincoat

I just started posting over at Ask Andy Trad, under this same name. I don't know, I've learned a lot. I learned about traditional clothing on that forum. From what I can tell (and, like I said, I've only been on the forum for a little while) people don't take the "trad" as a label thing as seriously as they used to (back in the American/Trad thread started by Harris and stickied).

I think it's just an easy way to talk about the general look of that forum. I think that look can be described as conservative American. From what I can tell, a strict "ivy style" would be much more retro obsessed, slimmer. People on AAACTrad like Bill's M1. AldenPyle, whom you mentioned, wears slimmed down trousers. And I really enjoy all the Life pictures from the Am Trad Men thread (though I suspect I missed the point of your jab on those).

I've only just found this forum and look forward to reading through it though. Like I said, I haven't really looked through this forum yet, but it appears to reflect more of a British take on the ivy look. Is that accurate?

Oh, as for "trad" being a marketing trick, I can't think of much being marketed as trad that really sells. Maybe I don't get out enough. The reissue of "Take Ivy" is an exception, but I think everyone can agree that that is a positive effect of "trad" becoming a popular label.

#12 2010-03-06 21:17:01

ScarletStreet

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it." -- H.L. Mencken

#13 2010-03-07 11:11:15

Just Jim

^ ... Letting the mask of 'Russell' slip for just a bit, I've got to say that I liked that very much...

- Dr. Mabuse!    Inspired!!

Never think that 'Trad' is the American take on Ivy. Most of the US does not post on AAAC.

In a sense Trad is an English take on Ivy in fact, as it was us who contrived it all for the AAAC market & then ripped into it. The phrase 'Dumb Yanks' got used a lot back then too...  But not by me. Or at least not often.

I like Alden's pictures too. Not one is 'Trad', as they all predate 2004. Seems obvious to some of us...

Best,

Board footer