You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-26 11:20:33

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.

Ivy in...Germany

In a thread which I can't remember- someone (very likely with an smoking cat as an avatar) expressed an vague interest for Ivy in other countries other than the UK and the US of A.

I thought I could begin with a bit on Germany. As far as I can see, there is no deeper "Ivy" interest in Germany, except for a few people like Hank or I, but that's it. Americana in a broader sense is a whole different book, though.

From my point of view, I'd determine those main touchpoints with the Look to (maybe?) start a discussion

1. Jazz musicians and fans in the 50s/early 60s
Since the Weimarer Republic,  Germany was one of the strongest European markets for Jazz. After being banned in the Nazi time, it became quite big again after WWII. When we assume that fans of certain popcultural cultures tend to imitate their idols, it's pretty save to say that also the German aficionados would try to look like their idols. However, it must have been close to impossible to get the gear in Germany. In places with strong US bases like in Frankfurt, there was a certain supply of US stuff. But the dominating influence was Rock'n Roll and I only ever hear of PX-Stores giving a supply of denim in the 50s.

A few people like Albert Mangelsdorff even made it to the US in the early 60s, so I guess they would have picked up a few items. But I think it only was a small ( and doomed) scene even at that time. Doomed, because Beat et al got more popular than Jazz at the time and fashion changed - even in Jazz.

2. IL universities themselves / Students
Although Albert Einstein was at Princeton, I doubt anybody would regard him as an sartorial influence. In this era, the US may as well have been on the other side of the moon. No chance to obtain the stuff, even if you wanted to. Nevertheless, a very small potential of German students will have made it there. If they picked up the style there - and stuck to it - is hard to say. I doubt it.

3. Kennedy
JFK was very popular in Germany and I would say that he was at least influential in terms of a more youthful and relaxed style. Again, getting the original gear in the early 60s was impossible for  the common Kraut.

4. Ralph Lauren / College Style
My first encounter with parts of the Look was via mod in the 80s. Mid/end of the 80s also saw the first big wave of "College Style" in Germany. Basically, the Look even is called "College Style" in my country. RL was the main source for people who liked this look, mainly "upper crust" people. Currently, a watered down version is being hyped as fashion trend which leans to "Preppy".

5. Mods/Traditíonal Skins
In these scenes, some elements of IS are basic to the scene's look. Although I lost touch to the scene end of the 80s, I would say that most of the people in those subcultures don't really know (and care) for the origins of their style. For them, for example it is important to wear a BD, no matter what make. Or a Ben Sherman, which is being regarded as THE BD for Mods and Skins. Some people dug deeper and by the aid of the usual suspects  found out more. So, for instance I learned that "College shoes" were called Weejuns and made by Bass from the Bass ad in "Cover Art of Blue Note Records"..     

So, I'd say the influence in Germany always was very small. And in the few cases where there was demand, there was no supply. Since the 80s, it is being known as "College Look". For real fashion people, it is dull, uninspiring and conservative. So, in my eyes the two main groups to wear the look are the followers of RL (And Gant/Marco Polo) and people with connections / roots in to the Mod/Skin scenes. 

Hank, what do you mean?

Just to get a repp..

#2 2010-04-26 11:32:39

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: Ivy in...Germany

Great stuff!

We once (but only once) drank with a guy in Soho (The Admiral Duncan) who knew our clothes from the Jazz scene in Hamburg in the very early (Pre-Beatles) 60's.  Nice Cove.

Hank then taught me more.  The reality of the US Air Force bases & the Black Market scene. 

I'd love to know more about all of this.

#3 2010-04-26 11:40:34

zuckermandl

Some of my fellow Verbindungsbrueder (I belong to a Catholic Couleur-Corporation) make a point of raiding BB every time they're in London.

#4 2010-04-26 11:58:38

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

The US Air bases had a strong influence everywhere, including in England.

One of my old bosses use to sneak into evenings arranged for US air force men in the dancehalls around Burtonwood USAF base in the early to mid-50's. He use to put on an American accent, as he said a local one would get you kicked out. The hippest thing was to be into Latin jazz and Chet Baker was considered a homosexual.

Buying RL in Germany is certainly a better option than Holland, a much better selection, particulary the ultra rare vintage oxford cloth.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#5 2010-04-26 13:35:04

Axelist

Just to get a repp..

#6 2010-04-26 13:47:35

Axelist

Last edited by Axelist (2010-04-26 13:47:55)

Just to get a repp..

#7 2010-04-26 13:58:57

zuckermandl

#8 2010-04-26 14:07:50

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Yes Axelist, I am located in the Netherlands. A financial refugee from Dear Old Blighty.

Never underestimate the power of Trad Jazz, not only was Contemporary a mere off shoot of Lester Koenig's Good Time Jazz label, created to sell the hip West Coast Cool jazz sound, the Trad musicians sold more records, much more.

Also, we should not denigrate Trad jazz, for it was radical.

Lester Koenig founded the Good Time Jazz label, having been forced out of Hollywood by the McCarthy witch hunts.

Trad jazz is cool, and its time we stole Trad back from the iGents.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#9 2010-04-26 17:45:39

eris

#10 2010-04-26 22:54:25

eris

ass to 2.) the brand obsession with Timberland (deck shoes, boots) and Ralphie.

There you go, that's me venting...and we don't even have an election coming up wink

#11 2010-04-27 00:20:08

shamrockmonkey

We might want to remember that it started out as, and continued to be, very much a fratboy style. Those chappies in Take Ivy are more or less all members of America's hereditary aristocracy. It became democratized in that the more conservative segment of society as a whole started to mimic the eastern establishment's affectations during that period....the vast majority of the people doing the mimic-ing were, say, public school fratboys, catholic school fratboys, businessmen who had once been fratboys, members of the working class who would have liked to be fratboys, etc. I'm not super qualified on the subject of jazz fashion, but it seems to me that the jazzers got into it for a limited period of time, before moving on to dashikis and the like. All the time the fratboys running the very unhip government ( Mc George Bundy,  Elliott Richardson, Cyrus Vance, yahda yahda yahda) continued to be exemplars of Ivy. More or less until they died. You walk around in a brooks brothers suit (I suspect even on the other side of the atlantic) the image projected to 99% of people isn't jazz.

I think thats what makes the euro-brit approach so interesting to me......the wearing of uber-straight clothes in a subversive manner. But I think its important to remember that they're still uber-straight clothes. Ok, I'll stop the drunken rambling now. Hawks Win!

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#12 2010-04-27 01:35:39

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

A very good thread with a lot of substance, INVHO. My thanks to the OP.

Jim

#13 2010-04-27 01:57:52

shamrockmonkey

I probably didnt read all of that closely enough eris-seems youre referring to those peculiar fencing frats rather than the US variety.....but, to perhaps over-generalize, frats tend toward conservatism (in at least a cultural context) and degrees of conformity everywhere, contra the "animal house" esque havens of countercultural fun many chapters imagine themselves to be in the US. they probably have, in spirit at least, a great deal more in common with the bruderschaft (or whatever theyre called) than you think, besides the overt ultra-right politics (which isn't to say that plenty of that doesnt go on as well).

Last edited by shamrockmonkey (2010-04-27 01:58:22)

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#14 2010-04-27 02:21:03

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#15 2010-04-27 05:19:27

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Good calls, Axelist and Eris, but this is only the tip of the iceberg: In the Boom Years Ivy was everywhere, especially when GIs were involved. My father (whose grandfather had a few pubs and cinemas that were visited by GIs regularly) and some of his friends knew quite a few American GIs and they where the main source for cigarettes, condoms and clothes in the 50s and 60s, especially for teenagers (who didn't get condoms from the barber).

My father got his first cigarettes from GIs, he even smoked his first spliff with a GI, and he got a pair of Levi's from a GI. There was a huge black market for these things. Clothes weren't particlarly Ivy, as Axelist says it was general Americana: jeans, T-Shirts, sweat shirts, but button down shirts, khakis, loafers etc. were all well known. There were copies of the American clothes availabe, but the originals were still popular via the black market - especially Levi's were much more coveted than the copies.

Even the sack suit was a popular silhouette, though I'm not sure it was called that way over here in the 50s/60s (at least my father doesn't remember that term). Many companies produced copies over here at the time. I think Tony posted an ad from the German company Witt.

Albert Mangelsdorff was a good call. Jazz, not only Dixie/ Trad stuff, but Modern Jazz/ Bebop, as well as blues/ R&B was very popular. Even Coltrane came to Germany. My father also went to a lot of concerts, he remembers John Lee Hooker, Champion Jack Dupree and Cannonball Adderley among others.

Very influential in popularising jazz and blues were Fritz Rau, Horst Lippmann and Joachim-Ernst Berendt...

As  Sarah Vaughan sang:

I could write a book...

Sorry, that I keep it short, though, I'm terribly busy at work....

Last edited by Hard Bop Hank (2010-04-27 08:52:09)

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#16 2010-04-27 05:26:10

zuckermandl

#17 2010-04-27 05:26:49

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Last edited by Hard Bop Hank (2010-04-27 05:27:03)

“No Room For Squares”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#18 2010-04-27 05:35:18

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Check the Billy Wilder movie 1,2,3! It is set in Berlin in the early 60s.

MacNamara, head of Coca Cola Germay, has no trouble ordering a fashionable Ivy suit for the young communist rebel who is about to marry the daughter of his boss:

"narrow lapels, three buttons, no shoulder padding!"

“No Room For Squares”

#19 2010-04-27 05:38:39

zuckermandl

#20 2010-04-27 05:49:27

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”

#21 2010-04-27 07:25:50

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”

#22 2010-04-27 07:27:40

eris

Well, I guess definitions of "liberal" change over the course of 160 years - but let's not get into this, I have very strong opinions on this topic.

Very gut input Hank!

#23 2010-04-27 11:20:53

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Hank is a Goldmine.

#24 2010-04-27 11:22:01

Axelist

Wow, had to catch up quite a lot here.

It seems that indeed there might have been some Ivy traces here in Germany. Would be worth to dig deeper.

Yes, Hamburg is anglophile and seems to consider itself to be a sort of outpost of London. Especially in the olden days. What I forgot about were the "Swing kids / Swing Heinis" who dressed very "British" and listened to Swing which brought them a lot of pressure by the Nazis regime. One of their strongholds was Hamburg, but this leans more into the British influence direction.

I think it indeed is best not to argue about "Bruderschaften" on here , I can see were eris is coming from although I think there is not only black and white but also some tiny bit of grey. But you are right, the "conservative"  look has strong overlaps with the Ivy style. I guess because the conservative look leans to British style which was a strong influence on Ivy style.

And Hank, you mentioned Hans-Joachim Berendt. That's a guy we should try to find out more about. I know, he's dead, but I think it should have been impossible for him to travel the US together with Claxton in 1960 (I think) for weeks for his feature on the US Jazz scenes without picking up some clothes. smile

Interesting what you wrote about the availability of chinos and loafers. I always thought the GIs supplied stuff like sweets, cigarettes, stockings and jeans. You live and learn.

Just to get a repp..

#25 2010-04-27 11:23:44

Axelist

Just to get a repp..

Board footer