You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » CHRISTIAN CHENSVOLD - interviews some chick.....

#1 2010-04-30 13:29:27

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

CHRISTIAN CHENSVOLD - interviews some chick.....

IS (read Chinny-Chenners): The “Preppy Handbook” includes a section on values such as grace, discipline and civic mindedness, that are among the best things bequeathed to America by the WASP establishment. But what place do these values hold in what in many ways feels like a gaudy and valueless age?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_2bGu8ADs4&feature=related

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#2 2010-05-02 00:13:44

Admiral Cod

Re: CHRISTIAN CHENSVOLD - interviews some chick.....

Is Chipp Kid ,Christian bff?

"You will find that men of style and their adherents are considered either political enemies of the people or reckless, gluttoness consumers while most live in squalor" - FNB

#3 2010-05-03 07:41:03

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Of more interest than Chensvold or Lisa B. is Jonathan Roberts who had the original concept for the OPH.

'Preppy' still leaves me cold though.

#4 2010-05-03 10:27:00

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

Yawn.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NewtonStreetVintage  Classic Vintage Ivy League Clothing on Etsy.

#5 2010-05-03 12:23:07

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#6 2010-05-13 09:01:24

Big Tony

Oh god, what a horrible interview. Whats-her-name seems to have drunk her own Kool Aid.

"What sort of post-apocalyptic deathscape is this?"
"I don't want to look like a cock hungry sailor after all !!!"
"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#7 2010-05-13 09:50:34

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Business is business - For all involved.

The new book will do well for Lisa, sadly. It won't do as well as the old book... But it will do a certain kind of well in a different way.

This new Kidd (Sp?) Cove is no good.

What is he?

I remain against all of this, 1980 & counting.

wink

(But in a nice way!)

#8 2010-05-13 15:43:56

Big Tony

What's odd is that she now insists the original book was non-fiction with a humourous tone. I suppose the new book will be taken as 100% fact by its readers, and will reflexively (thank you, George Soros) create it's own fact. Bottom line: we're all fucked.

"What sort of post-apocalyptic deathscape is this?"
"I don't want to look like a cock hungry sailor after all !!!"
"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#9 2010-05-13 22:58:37

BulldogNH

I think it's interesting that she almost appears conscious of her role in constructing the subject matter she's supposedly reporting on.  The old OPH purported to provide a window into a small world that already existed, but she seems aware that in publishing the book she will redefine the construct, with the result that the ersatz character of it all is all the more pronounced.

#10 2010-05-14 01:50:15

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

^ Two very good observations, Chaps.

The Rojo position on all this is that the OPH was a satire, but a satire based on fact.

So why not get into the facts & not the satire? Is my reply.

There's too much OPH in Trad & not enough of the earlier factual primary source material.

... As all the best Trads will tell you, BTS, as Trad increasingly starts to look like a satire on a satire itself.

#11 2010-05-14 11:54:01

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Like a play within a play?

The trolls write the script for Trads to follow.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#12 2010-05-14 12:12:42

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NewtonStreetVintage  Classic Vintage Ivy League Clothing on Etsy.

#13 2010-05-14 12:56:03

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Welll, we didn't. Ivy existed & Preppy kinda existed in a made up way. Trad still doesn't really exist.

... But it could!

The manipulation & creation of a zeigeist can lead to various things - I hope that it brings us ALL nice clothes & nice food.

Last edited by Russell_Street (2010-05-14 13:31:37)

#14 2010-05-14 15:35:26

Brownshoe

Chipp Kidd comes off pretty badly in that piece, but he's a gifted designer, I think.

La Birnbach seems absolutely horrible.

#15 2010-05-22 02:04:51

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#16 2010-05-22 23:26:26

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Aye.

'04 to '06 was AAAC: A period of Trad foundation building.
'06 saw the creation of factions to open up the debate. FNB & AAAT were created & the blogging began.
'08 saw the new dedicated forums - First ours, then The Curric, then the short lived Ivy Style forum (although the blog carries on). And the blogs just grew & grew. The Modculture front was also opened up.
'10 sees the Trad Reformation: Sink or swim. And some fooling around on Facebook.

The Trad Reformation is the final unifying phase (whenever it happens) to finally join all the dots. Trad, born in fantasy, will then have some place in the world of grown ups.

... And the POV of the real fans of Classic Traditional American style will dominate the subject, while the iGents will limp on in some marginalised form. Maybe Mr. Chensvold could employ them to polish his loafers?

Quite a journey. Let the eggs bitch all they want, but the closer we get to the omelette the less I care!

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » CHRISTIAN CHENSVOLD - interviews some chick.....

Board footer