You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-12 06:19:39

shamrockmonkey

Brooks and hooks.......

One of the trads on AA just posted what he claims is a hook vented brooks bros. jacket. is this possible? did they ever experiment with that? I've never, ever seen one myself......

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#2 2010-05-12 06:33:09

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

Re: Brooks and hooks.......

I imagine back when they did semi-bespoke it would have been feasible.  It's hard to retool an assembly line process for such a small detail but when making the jackets on an individual basis it's less of a problem.  Also it's possible the seller on the AA forum is mistaken and has seen the stitching that is often found to the left of a straight center vent (or sometimes slightly at an angle).  I've owned a ventless Brooks no.1 sack, so anything is possible.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NewtonStreetVintage  Classic Vintage Ivy League Clothing on Etsy.

#3 2010-05-12 06:35:50

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

A Link?

BTW, did you weigh the pack?

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#4 2010-05-12 06:40:05

shamrockmonkey

No. Apologies. Been insane around here every day, even had a test for a job opening on mothers day, and I'm still looking for some of the stuff, specifically the striped sero and the v-cleats. Next few days, I promise.

#5 2010-05-12 06:42:21

shamrockmonkey

Cant seem to paste links on here, but its the next to last page of their "thrift exchange", I think. Or 3rd to last. Theres no picture of the back though. on the other hand, the gentleman posts a hook item or 2 and seems to know what they are.

#6 2010-05-12 17:14:59

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

Sure is possible.

On custom coats it may well have been specified by the client.

As a general rule Golden Fleece, 346  and Makers would not have hooked vents off the rack.

It was a Press and Hilton trademark but not a Brooks one.

As I've said before they are not a deal-breaker for me. If a jacket or coat doesn't have one it does not mean it is Not Ivy. In fact in a list of preferable characteristics they fall way below overall silhouette, shoulder construction, lapel width, quality of fabric, button stance etc. etc.

#7 2010-05-12 20:00:21

shamrockmonkey

I agree, the brooks makers I have is by far my favorite coat. I do like the hook though. The fact that its a barely noticeable, little known detail makes it all the more appealing.

#8 2010-05-13 13:11:28

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.

Just to get a repp..

#9 2010-05-13 15:56:48

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

That is not a hooked vent.

Edit:  the "hook" refers to the vent being offset from the back seam.  That vent is in line with the back seam.  What's confusing you is the diagonal stitching to the left of the vent.

Last edited by The Thin Repp (2010-05-13 15:59:28)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NewtonStreetVintage  Classic Vintage Ivy League Clothing on Etsy.

#10 2010-05-13 17:17:37

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

^
Agreed. The pic above is indicative of the characteristic Brooks vent, and is not 'hooked' or offset.

#11 2010-05-13 17:50:28

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?104941-Hook-Vents

In this AAAC thread a poster lists photos of several hooked vents, including one purported Brooks.  It has some weird "mirror like" stitching to the left of the vent.  My guess is it is a custom job by Brooks.

#12 2010-05-14 00:08:54

TheWeejun

"Mr. Weejun is a beast." 1966
www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#13 2010-05-14 00:42:42

shamrockmonkey

Huntington seems to have lead in quantity of hooks produced, as well as length of time they produced them, at least according to my very unscientific survey. Lots of the huntingtons ive come across seem to date from the 70s or even later, generally you only see the detail on ancient stuff. To add my own shameless plug, ive got a newish olive poplin one in 39 or 40 still sitting here....

#14 2010-05-14 01:18:45

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.

Thanks, gents.

Just to get a repp..

#15 2010-05-14 01:42:18

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

A 'Stepped Vent' is a term I've also heard - Not sure how common that usage is though.

#16 2010-05-14 05:01:29

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

I think the term "off centre vent" was also common...

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#17 2010-05-22 02:08:14

Horace

The ol' hook.  I thought Brooks from 80's back had some on the blazer at least?  I fairly certain I've got a tweed from Brooks "Makers" that has that.  I remember CD remarking on the tradition.  Andover would do it and sometimes had it.  Later, more streamlined.  Or nod to it with the stitch.  By hook or crook.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#18 2010-05-23 03:34:59

JOA

I have an Old Brooks brown HBone tweed with a hook vent.

Board footer