You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-14 18:50:21

tmc22

RIP

I was moved to write a new post. I opened up the dumbed down Wall Street Journal today and my jaw dropped: A. that the rag would actually cover the story.
B. The Story itself: The Williams Club is closing after 100 years just off Madison Ave. I was a member for a few years, the benefit of graduating from a little Ivy College. I just so rarely made it into the City, it was hard to justify the 1000 bucks they wanted to stay involved. probably a victim of the financial disaster. Memberships are always the first thing to ditch.
    But I still feel a loss. I know this lifestyle has ended. But each confirmation in the papers is a bit distressing.

Last edited by tmc22 (2010-05-14 18:58:40)

#2 2010-05-14 22:39:52

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: RIP

There is a list that's worth compiling on the RIP theme - Some things will be obvious like the demise of the old 346, but others should be remembered and recorded too.

A memory from my youth slighly connected to this world (albeit I was in London) was people blaming a hangover on 'a bad olive'. It was a kind of code for heavy Martini consumption.

#3 2010-05-16 00:44:07

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

There was also the infamous 'bad pint', blamed on a full range of hangover symptons, nothing to do with having consumed the night before 10 pints of strong chemical enriched lager beer.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#4 2010-05-16 01:22:10

shamrockmonkey

there is something to that, however. having worked at numerous bars, its a fact that the draft lines are rarely if ever purged and cleaned, leading to the growth of all matter of fungi. ive been hung over on 3 beers when drinking draft, and its generally at the nicer, more expensive places for some reason. soda lines are a different story entirely-the smell of a soda line makes a sewer smell like chanel no. 5. a recent study found that they hold more bacteria than the avg. public toilet.

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#5 2010-05-16 04:29:29

rsmeyer

The Williams Club members may use the Princeton Club.

#6 2010-05-16 17:12:52

tmc22

hmmm. two countries speaking a different language. No where made more clear than in this forum. I will repeat what I once said. The Brits know nothing about this subject. And they have succeeded in driving off anyone who does know anyhing about the subject. The people who write in are a subset of a subset of a subset.

Last edited by tmc22 (2010-05-16 18:01:57)

#7 2010-05-16 18:07:55

tmc22

PS: I've been to the Princeton Club. Not a good rehab. The Harvard Club on the other hand has that big elephant head on the wall.

#8 2010-05-17 01:10:52

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#9 2010-05-17 02:14:38

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

^ To be clear, that's not snark but hopefully some potentially useful advice.

Tom comes to us from the old GoPreppy site (where he was a member of the SFRP), via the Trad forum. His usage of Flusser's correct usage of the Japanese term Trad was the one incorrectly taken up by the young Skip who was later to morph into Harris - The raw material for AAAC Trad.

This bit of history is to make sense of the whole 'lifestyle' thing & where it came from in connection to AAAC Trad.

But I think, Tom, today a lot of people have grown very weary of the 'lifestyle' game as it has produced such strange results. Blame Harris who insisted it was all about much, much more than just the clothes as he tried to copy you.

'The Curriculum' site - Even their name comes from Harris - Is the place where they do the lifestyle thing now that most other people are fed up with after all the posing & inventions that have gone with it (which again leads back to Harris who could never keep his story straight).

- So for a 'classic lifestyle' GoCurriculum!  Preppy two steps removed and, in a sense, based on your own inspiration to Harris on GoPreppy.  It's YOUR forum!

Best,

Last edited by Russell_Street (2010-05-17 02:18:43)

#10 2010-05-17 03:00:48

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

... And yet I really value Tom. In a way he is the root of all evil (not really), but he is also the root of all that we could make good.

Our Trad debate starts with Tom. He is the founder of our feast.

- And his health will be drunk along with that of Harris, Chensvold, The Squire, Alden Pyle, et al, when our race is finally run and we have created something we can be proud of.

Station by station we will finally pull into Grand Central!

#11 2010-05-17 03:41:16

Maximilien de Robespierre

Jesus H. Christ on the cross:  TMC (of course) just cracked a Cheever-sized egg.  Has anyone ever linked Cheever to The Look?  I can't do it because I'm too often drunk these days - like Cheever himself - but someone should.  Talk amongst yourselves, or I'll assign the task.

Last edited by Maximilien de Robespierre (2010-05-17 03:47:55)

#12 2010-05-17 06:15:11

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Ahhhh, Chever! Such enjoyable fiction.

#13 2010-05-17 06:19:31

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

... To which the Rojo position would be: Fiction based on fact...

My answer: So why not get into the facts?

#14 2010-05-17 06:43:15

Big Tony

If I see Cheever's name posted one more time in connection with traditional American clothing I will declare a one-man jihad on everyone. I have never read Cheever and now that he gets posted so often I most certainly never will read him.

"What sort of post-apocalyptic deathscape is this?"
"I don't want to look like a cock hungry sailor after all !!!"
"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#15 2010-05-17 09:39:11

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Yes. Back to Buckley, eh?  wink

#16 2010-05-17 10:00:17

Big Tony

"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#17 2010-05-17 12:54:10

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Amen.

#18 2010-05-17 13:12:21

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

... The lifestyle thing is such a dead-end because it leads to one lifestyle trying to claim the clothes - which is obvious rubbish - there are many styles of life connected to these clothes we love. Both JFK & Lee Harvey Oswald wore them.

Plus we are a clothing forum.

#19 2010-05-17 14:12:46

Big Tony

#20 2010-05-17 20:07:47

tripchauncey

Chums,,

This thread,, has it all. 

Ol Tom lamenting the end of the good olde days,, ol Russ beating his trad horse,, ol Tony claiming that clothes has nothing to do with lifestyle,, and a dirty olive!

To summarize,, no interrupting Tom's rants, no discussion of lifestyle unless it is about how hip/mod/cool Ivy is in ol Blighty,, no mention of Cheever unless it is in one of ol Russell's 100 threads on him. 

I dont belive you can divorce clothes or appearance from lifestyles, chums.  Wear em to be mainstream, traditional, wear em to be ironic, nostalgic, hip, different, whatever.  All fine, but they send a message all th same. 

Carry on lads.
Trip

#21 2010-05-17 20:16:55

Maximilien de Robespierre

Did I step on my dick with the Cheever bit?  If so, I apologize for such a boneheaded gaffe.

#22 2010-05-18 01:17:19

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#23 2010-05-18 02:31:29

Uncle Oswald

Aimee Thanatogenous: An American would despise himself for living off his wife.
Dennis Barlow: Yes, but you see, I'm English, and we have none of these prejudices in the older and more developed civilizations.

#24 2010-05-18 02:39:21

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Welcome!

#25 2010-05-18 03:37:25

Uncle Oswald

Piacere!

Another: "Around this time (John Cheever) sat next to a bum in the park and asked for a “pull” from the man’s bottle, and soon he began hoping he’d be hit by a car while walking in traffic. When his student Rick Siggelkow stopped for a visit, Cheever insisted on giving the (much taller) young man a pair of dark, lightweight Brooks Brothers suits: “Now you have two suits to use for a summer funeral,” he remarked. (Siggelkow mused that this was a “very Cheever” thing to say: “Everything was always evocative of something else. In other words, he didn’t just give me two suits, he gave me ‘two suits to use for a summer funeral,’ and the way he said it you could see yourself standing at that funeral wearing those suits.”) While the two were drinking, Cheever began to cough and gasp for breath, finally asking Siggelkow to call for an ambulance—then, quite adamantly, changing his mind. “You really have to go,” he said, closing his eyes and sitting rigidly back in his chair, “or something’s going to happen we’re both going to regret.” Siggelkow protested, but Cheever demanded he leave immediately, and when the student glanced up from the bottom of the stairs, Cheever was looking down at him with a forced, cordial, miserable smile (this a matter of “New England breeding,” Siggelkow figured)."

Last edited by Uncle Oswald (2010-05-18 03:39:30)

Aimee Thanatogenous: An American would despise himself for living off his wife.
Dennis Barlow: Yes, but you see, I'm English, and we have none of these prejudices in the older and more developed civilizations.

Board footer