macabee

Are Jazzy ties Ivy?

"One martini is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"
James Thurber

#2 2010-05-19 09:01:17

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: Are Jazzy ties Ivy?

Personally "I'm a hopelessly committed student to the New England/Mid-Atlantic Trad I learned long ago".  wink

But you don't have to be!

Yrs,

Slave to the Weejun.

#3 2010-05-19 10:42:21

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Just thought of Kerouac in his (maybe) Brooks Bros. suit with a kinda Jazzy tie (Huge Paisley) :

http://27.media.tumblr.com/AhHLjGs1Vqrx0qf1Oj2AfMTfo1_500.gif

If we start in on 'Is XYZ Ivy?' we could all end up like the Trads!  wink

#4 2010-05-19 11:13:25

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#5 2010-05-19 11:16:40

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

No, seriously:

When the (Modern) Jazz scene adopted the Ivy League look, they changed the notion about what was considered a "jazzy look"...

Of course, not everyone would have changed his look completely, but in most cases it would have been a clear break.

“No Room For Squares”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#6 2010-05-19 11:18:03

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”

#7 2010-05-19 11:35:53

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Here's some information about the earlier "American style in London" (as sold by Cecil Gee and his imitators) before Ivy became hip, and about youth culture (Spivs/Teds) before the "Mod era":

http://www.manchesteruniversitypress.co.uk/uploads/docs/Horn%20chapter%205.pdf

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?id=6137

I think we've also mentioned something about that crossover in the thread about "Hampton Hawes' collar"...

Mr B (Eckstine) collars, hand printed wide ties, DB suits with pin stripes etc...

“No Room For Squares”

#8 2010-05-19 11:50:11

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Kerouac was more into work wear - its documented he had one suit, a Brooks that he bought for interviews at the time of the publishing of On The Road. He didn't really wear Ivy.

He was an outsider, a classic drop out and was at university on a football scholarship. And on graduation day, he was outside the hallowed halls of academia, ostracised and drinking sweet wine. He was never part of any East coast establishment.

There's a perception that the Beats belong to modern and cool jazz. And although Chet Baker gets an honourable mention in the Dulouz Legend, the original Beats were pure 1940's bebop. 

Kerouac sports this suit on the Steve Allen show back in 1959:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzCF6hgEfto

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#9 2010-05-19 13:06:04

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

They would work well with 'Continental Cut' undarted (sack?) suits, a 40's-ish vibe. Good on nights out, less a work look.

They do appeal to my inner ham, I must admit!

Some astonishingly fantastic ties to be had by Polo it has to be said, vastly underated.

#10 2010-05-19 13:26:46

1,966% Ivy

They scream "retro" because they sport a pattern reminiscent of a relatively short stylistic period.

I don't have many ties but I prefer them to be either puzzlingly conservative, or to almost disappear.

#11 2010-05-20 10:53:11

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

^And isn't that the spirit of Ivy, conservative and yet timelessly, classicaly cool.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

Board footer