You are not logged in.

#126 2010-07-08 15:26:30

JohnL

Re: What are you drinking at the moment ?

A reasonable but over strength (14 degree) Ch Meaume, Bordeaux Superior 2000, originally £5 a bottle en Primeur incl tax but probably not now available.

Followed up, over the strawberries and in the last glass of the night, by Ch Liot 2001, a very nice and always good value Sauternes

Hic smile

"The less taste a person has in dress, the more obstinate he always seems to be. It is a great pity. Because he will never be a success as it" - Jerome K Jerome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVHUA4dZI0o&feature=related

#127 2010-07-08 15:32:12

formby

Glenmorangie Sherry Wood finish.

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#128 2010-07-08 15:39:00

JohnL

"The less taste a person has in dress, the more obstinate he always seems to be. It is a great pity. Because he will never be a success as it" - Jerome K Jerome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVHUA4dZI0o&feature=related

#129 2010-07-08 15:51:10

formby

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#130 2010-07-09 02:02:25

JohnL

#131 2010-07-09 03:18:40

Kingstonian

I was at the Ealing beer festival in Walpole Park yesterday. Great Summer weather by UK standards. 180 beers available(mostly) to try. I usually stick to weaker beers until the last orders. Third of a pint samples are useful.

Sat on the top of the 65 bus on the way there and a South African woman was enthusing about how nice the Richmond Road was. That was just the ordinary houses not the posh end. I suppose greenery and an elevated viewpoint makes an impact on some foreigners. The Germans next to her said they visit every year and always make a point of going to Kew Gardens.

Jazz types take note that the Ealing Jazz festival is on soon. Walpole Park is a good venue. I don't know anything about the acts appearing.
http://www.ealing.gov.uk/services/leisure/ealing_summer/jazz.html

Blues, opera and comedy events are also staged.

#132 2010-07-11 01:46:53

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I'm trying to wean myself of the malts at the moment, mainly to do with weight. You know the score, you've had your dinner, a couple of whiskies later and you're making a sandwich or horrors of horrors, eating pork scratchings or some other prepackaged tortilla chips with a lifetime dose of salt in one packet.

As I am funding the wife's internship for the next four months, I will be drinking Lidl's finest Perlenbacher Premium Pils whilst watching the final.  And a mighty fine quaffable ale at a very reasonable price.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#133 2010-07-11 02:09:37

Kingstonian

Lidl is a great place for cheap beer. I swear by Grafenwalder pils. Reinheitsgebot at 75p a 50 cl tin. Not the best beer in the world but a great drink on a hot Summer day.

I stocked up on the Isle of Wight when we were in self catering. That is a desperate place to eat or drink. You end up ordering halves in pubs because the beer may not be in good condition, there is nobody much in the place. You are the only customers in an Indian restaurant in a main resort about 10:30 to 11. You ask about business in the Winter and the waiter tells you it is even more moribund.

#134 2010-07-11 02:19:11

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

^I think that's something to do with Level 42 having come from there.

Great Yarmouth is another dire place, I stayed there on a business trip the beginning of September in the late 90's, truly awful. I ended up in a pub on the front and there was a family with grandparents smoking and seriously drunk with couple of kids. Awful scene, reminiscent of a print by Hogarth

And yet, you travel inland and then there's wonderful villages like Downam Market nearby.

#135 2010-07-11 04:29:27

formby

Souvent me Souvient

#136 2010-07-11 04:56:37

Sammy Ambrose

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#137 2010-07-11 05:15:22

Kingstonian

#138 2010-07-11 06:10:03

formby

Souvent me Souvient

#139 2010-07-11 06:25:31

Kingstonian

^ I know Blackpool, Eastbourne, Scarborough etc mostly from various conferences. I like the trams at Blackpool and I am delighted that tangerines will now grace the premier league.

Great places to people watch. Beach huts, old people making sandwiches with brown-handled knives, brewing tea reading the Daily Express, playing bowls in their whites. I love the way the dampness never quite leaves the big hotels even in the height of Summer. It is also a lot easier than getting a plane to foreign shores.

#140 2010-07-11 12:17:01

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

In the world of photography: the USA has New York and the city, whilst the UK has the beach.  Odd, considering the weather.

I have a tremendous fondness for Lytham St. Annes, a weird sense of belonging combined with the music of Chet Baker. It is one of the few places, certainly in the UK, I have spiritual affinity with. I have felt absolute serenity there. It is a place at one with the music of Pacific Jazz.

Years ago, a pyschic said that my destiny lay in Blackpool. By that she meant Lytham St. Annes, of course she was wrong. Still, she picked up on the connection.

#141 2010-07-11 13:36:33

Kingstonian

#142 2010-07-11 18:25:13

John Rotten

Aberlour, can't remember which one, I poured it in the dark.. lol

#143 2010-07-11 18:51:58

Sarcophagus

Knob Creek.

#144 2010-07-12 06:37:52

macabee

A nicely chilled Campari & Soda.

Ho Hum

"One martini is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"
James Thurber

#145 2010-07-25 01:56:03

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Last night had a few wee drams of Suntory 10 year old single malt: The Yamazaki.

This distillery set out by design to create a Scottish whisky and by doing impeccible research created an equally good Japanese whiskey, as refined as anything coming out of Scotland. Suppose this applies to most things the Japanese do.

#146 2010-07-25 09:25:59

Grossgrain Silk

Ridge Paso Robles 2001 and Yabby Lake Red Claw 2008

#147 2010-07-25 09:40:17

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#148 2010-07-25 15:25:55

JohnL

Chambolle-Musigny, Domain Ghislane Barthod 2000.

The last bottle from a case of a decent village wine but one which has always disappointed, particularly as the last time I saw it advertised it was almost £50 a bottle (£20 in 2002 which I think is still more than its worth today). I bought it along with several of her more expensive wines after tasting the superb ’95 but none have lived up to it, even the 1er Cru.

All good correct wines but like most of Burgundy over hyped and seriously overpriced compared with good claret. So I no longer buy Burgundy.

#149 2010-07-25 16:38:24

Grossgrain Silk

#150 2010-07-27 15:38:17

JohnL

Le Pigeoulet des Brunier 2007; A modest VdP de Vauucluse @ £5 a bottle En Primeur and superb value. Made by the makers of du Vieux Telegraphe and made as a good wine should be, its already thrown a heavy sediment, it’s well structured, with good length and will probably last well past the recommended 2012 drink by date but will not get the chance, except perhaps a bottle or two.

I got a single case with a parcel of other wines from the same producer and wish I had a lot more sad, unfortunately not on Tanner's current list but I’ll go hunting for some more.

These guys can show the prima donnas of Burgandy a thing or two!!!!!

Board footer