You are not logged in.

#2176 2014-01-07 14:05:18

Kingston1an

Re: What are you drinking at the moment ?

Stone of Escondido California Double IPA @8.5%.

I had a half of this after trying a taster from the nice Eastern European barmaid.

Got served by the top-heavy, fat blonde mentioned in a previous post. After overlooking me initially, she pulled a half and managed to break the glass and spill the beer. Obviously would not drink this stuff all night - but a glass was fine.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#2177 2014-01-07 15:27:15

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#2178 2014-01-08 01:54:28

Kingston1an

^ It is brewed for Wetherspoons. I tried it in their Cap in Hand pub on the Ace of Spades roundabout.

http://hoptripper.com/going-to-england-again/

Going to England (again)
We just made arrangements today for me to fly over to England in September with our Lead Brewer, Jeremy Moynier, to brew a beer with an English brewer for the Wetherspoons pub chain. Wetherspoons puts on an International Real Ale Festival twice each year, and has a program where they invite brewers from other countries to brew beer at select English breweries. All the beer is made as Real Ale, meaning it all goes in casks, is clarified to brilliant crystal clear without filtration, and is naturally carbonated, and served from the cask using a beer engine.

Stone Brewing Co. has participated in this program with Wetherspoons twice over the years. In fact, we were the first American Brewery to participate, back in early 2008, when Stone Brewing Co. cofounder, President and original Brewmaster Steve Wagner and I got to brew at the Shepherd-Neame Brewery in Faversham, which bills itself as the oldest operating brewery in England. That beer we brewed with the great brewers at Shepherd-Neame was an IPA, weoriginally wanted to do an 8-9% abv Double IPA, but the Wetherspoons folks balked at that because it was too high in alcohol. After some negotiation, we settled on a 7% West Coast style IPA.

Steve wanted to call this beer “California Mild” which still makes me laugh, but what I really found interesting is that when Stone cofounder and CEO Greg Koch and I went back for the release party at one of the Wetherspoons Pubs in London, there were many people, including some fellow brewers, who would not even try the beer because it was “so strong”. There were some I couldn’t persuade to even try a small taste. I learned then a bit of the real differences between the beer scene in England vs. the beer scene here in the United States, especially with regards to alcoholcontent. In the United States, many craft beer drinkers look for high alcohol, and are happy sticking to 1-2 pints over the course of an evening. In England, many of the beer drinkers want 3-4%, and that’s it. Anything above that teeters dangerously close to the dreaded “binge drinking” label. The pub drinking culture in England is totally different, and revolves around drinking many pints among friends, so the lower alcohol is an important consideration. And to be fair, there were many brewers, including David Holmes from Shepherd-Neame and John Bryan from Oakham Ales in Peterborough who really enjoyed our beer as well. It was during this trip that I gained a very deep appreciation for traditional English brewing and for good Real Ale. It was a fantastic experience, and I was really glad to be able to help set up some of my craft brewer friends to participate in the same program over the past few years. One of the nicest surprises that came out of this particular trip was that for a short while, the beer we brewed had the highest ranking of all British Beers on ratebeer.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2014-01-08 02:10:26)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#2179 2014-01-08 04:36:34

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

The double IPA's are great, all that Belgium beer potency with none of the nasty sugary bits. Wonderful beer!

As Woofboxer states, the American breweries are where it's at: innovative and focused on quality of taste. They are also very much into sharing their findings with new hybrid hops and brewing methods which adds to the renaissance in this industry in the US. Meanwhile, I notice the bottled real ale industry in the UK seems to be going the opposite way, great reduction in alcoholic content and I get the impression from my last tastings, it is going into lager-lager mass produced territory. A shame.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#2180 2014-01-08 05:28:34

Kingston1an

Strong beers are not very sociable though - in the UK at least. 

3.8% heavily-hopped, straw-coloured beers are what I tend to stick to in a session. Or milds, if you can find them.

#2181 2014-01-08 05:59:46

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#2182 2014-01-08 11:22:25

formby

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#2183 2014-01-08 13:26:34

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#2184 2014-01-08 13:35:53

formby

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#2185 2014-01-13 02:55:00

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#2186 2014-01-15 05:16:09

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#2187 2014-01-15 06:38:38

Sammy Ambrose

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#2188 2014-01-15 07:15:07

Dudley Clarke

Ah yes. Boots's Yeast Feast Home Brew Kit - with a head like Fairy Liquid - guaranteed to unblock any choked-up drain.

I came up to see her sometimes.

#2189 2014-01-15 07:24:22

Sammy Ambrose

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#2190 2014-01-15 07:49:44

Gilbert the Filbert

"O could I as Harlequin frisk,
And thou be my Columbine fair,
My wand should, with one magic whisk,
Transport us to Hanover Square."                       The Knut with a 'K'.

#2191 2014-01-15 12:31:19

Kingston1an

Last edited by Kingston1an (2014-01-15 13:41:51)

#2192 2014-01-16 04:38:27

Sammy Ambrose

#2193 2014-01-16 10:20:31

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#2194 2014-01-26 02:55:11

Kingston1an

Austrian:-

Almdudler - the local soft drink. An alternative to global cola brands - like drinking dandelion and burdock in Britain, but a different taste.

Kaiser Fasstyp 5% Linz

Pittinger Premium Schankbier 4.2% ( the cheap stuff )

Pittinger Hefe Weissbier 5.3%

Zipfer Urtyp 5.4%

Warsteiner (German) 4.8%

Ottakringer Helles 5.2% Vienna

Gosser Marzen 5.2% . This seemed popular. It was the one in the Spar chiller cabinet.

Stiegel (Salzburger) 4.9%

Very small bottle of Obstler

Very small bottle of Stroh 80  rum - lovely toffee nose, fine with a little water.

Could not get a decent cup of tea, no matter how many bags in the brew. I think the water was hot not boiling. High altitude did not help.

#2195 2014-01-26 03:11:03

fxh
Big Down Under.

Little Creatures IPA

#2196 2014-01-26 04:23:01

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#2197 2014-01-26 12:28:11

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Distilled water.

#2198 2014-02-02 01:07:42

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Blended mung bean sprouts and lentil sprouts with kelp water and blue green algae.

#2199 2014-02-02 02:03:04

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I decided to experiment with some cheaper-end brandies:

From Spain, Torres 10 year old: exceedingly dissapointing, extremely smooth to the point of blandness. I had shared a bottle of this one afternoon over a long lunch in Barcelona, I remember it being quite fiery, but not this 10 year old expression. At €22, this would work well for guests who don't have an educated palatte.

Remy Martin VSOP Mature Cask Finish: very dissapointing, just doesn't cut the mustard, every now again a whiff that things are going to get interesting, but then it just dissapears into nothing. At €28, the most expensive in the deck of samples brandies, I can't not recommend this enough.

Chen D'Or XO brandy: sourced direct from "the farm" in France by my local wine mercant. At €11.95 this can't be beat, clean tasting, but with good enough after taste to pass for quality merchandise. I would drink this with my guests quite happily, shockingly good quality for the price.

Asbach 3 year old from Germany: again superb value at €18.95, as I've posted recently the Brit squaddies favourite and with good reason. Fiery and smooth in equal doses, you will be pouring another and another. So you need to know when to stop.

Chateau du Breill VSOP calvados: I've concentrated on the higher end apple brandies and with good reason, this €22.00 expression is a pale cider like drink, which lacks punch and the maturity of fine brandy. It pays to operate in the €50+ arena to ensure magnificent calvados, I won't be making this mistake again.

So all in all, you get what you pay for, with a few exceptions.

#2200 2014-02-04 13:52:23

Kingston1an

Thornbridge Jaipur. I used to get very excited when this appeared at beer festivals(and usually ran out before I had any).
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/thornbridge-jaipur/48795/

Now Wetherspoons have it and it seems less exotic. Two pints before I watch the FA Cup on ITV4.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2014-02-04 13:54:41)

Board footer