You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-25 10:00:24

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

Milano

Hey guys,

I'm off to Milan in the morning for a few days and was wondering if anyone on here can give me some pointers to any good clothes shops, cafes, restaurants etc that will make my time there even more pleasant than I'm expecting.

Thanks in advance...

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#2 2010-05-25 11:39:58

shamrockmonkey

Re: Milano

when i was there at the age of 19 i just wandered into bars and stores, barely consulting the guide book at all. worked for me.

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#3 2010-05-25 12:09:37

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#4 2010-05-25 13:10:59

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Guides, especially the Rough Guides are a load of crap. Best to cut your own swathe through the forest.

In saying that, Milan I consider over rated and on parr with Manchester for ugly dourness. The Central Station is most impressive in its fascistic glory, if you can avoid being accosted by pickpockets.

A banana republic on the verge of fascist dictatorship I am afraid.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#5 2010-05-25 14:58:09

Gibson Gardens
Ivy Author

Milan is like Manchester in the sense that it is a conurbation with millions of people living in it. Other than that it is different in every conceivable way - history, priorities, aesthetics, culture, clothes, food, coffee, drink, geography. Italy is the most civilized European nation in every way except politics. It is wonderful in spite of not because of its politics.

g.g.

#6 2010-05-25 16:45:21

HL Poling & Sons

Dita Guenzati.  Not only the oldest store in the world (so they say), but filled to the brim with tartans---fabrics, hats, scarves, and boxes and boxes of Viyella shirts.

#7 2010-05-26 00:21:36

TheWeejun

I lived in Milan for a time about 18 years ago, inside the old walled city. I wasn't enthralled by the look of the place after much time spent in Bologna and elsewhere, but I learned quickly that ALL life takes place out of sight in Milan. Behind those ugly massive granite walls and grid iron window grates lie some amazing courtyards. It's a city built to confuse outsiders and to appear to be almost 'protestant' in its work ethic compared to the rest of Italy.

My advice is get to know someone who can show you some of the behind the scenes stuff. Another golden rule in Italy is that any restaurant that doesn't appear to have a menu is usually a good one. Take a chance!

Galeria Vittorio Emanuele is still impressive and copied around the world (although Brussels had one first), Naviglio is (or was then) interesting at the weekend for the flea market and characters and pizza places. Check around every corner, you never know what you might find off the beaten track. I once found a tiny optician with the usual 1930s glass/gold signage that looked like it hadn't had new stock fro 20 years. In the window I found an original deadstock pair of replacement yellow lenses for my old Ray Ban aviators. Of course the Euro means Italy is now very expensive compared to the 'good old' Lira days...

Good luck.

"Mr. Weejun is a beast." 1966
www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#8 2010-05-26 08:37:00

Daniele

#9 2010-05-26 08:39:24

Daniele

Last edited by Daniele (2010-05-26 09:38:03)

#10 2010-05-26 09:41:01

Get Smart

#11 2010-05-26 12:09:42

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Well, GG and Daniele, I appreciate Italian culture as much as you - but the politics stink, at least as much as elsewhere. That was my point.

Also Manchester, reminds me of Milan and Milan reminds me of Manchester - they are aesthetically similar.

#12 2010-05-26 12:14:58

formby

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#13 2010-05-26 12:17:36

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I'm with you Formby, but don't want to get rubbed out by the mob for opening my big mouth.

#14 2010-05-26 12:29:01

Daniele

#15 2010-05-26 12:40:55

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

The city I had the best time in Italy was Trieste. Spacious, often its the cities less recognised that are the best, well, depends on your taste.

Anyway, IvyLeagueofGentlemen is now already in Milano - we wish him well.

#16 2010-05-26 15:34:43

shamrockmonkey

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#17 2010-05-27 06:31:50

macabee

I can't comment on the shops in Milan except it the place to shop in Italy, my good lady states it is the must place for handbags, who am I to argue, I only look at decent loafers and other suitable Ivy gear!!

However you must visit Milan railway station, it is magnificent a sight not to be missed, I was last there in the early 60's on my way to the Adriatic coast, after changing trains,I was rather hungry so I ate a pizza at about 6 in the morning I remember admiring the station, if it caught my eye then it is an architectural marvel to be seen.

Ho Hum

"One martini is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"
James Thurber

#18 2010-05-27 07:33:48

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

Many thanks for the heads up guys. Very useful! I will chip away at them ovet the next few days. Along with a few other recommendations that I've been given. I'm very fortunate in having an Italian friend with me from Genova who speaks very good English, so I can by-pass the language barrier with the locals.

I am currently in Verona today. Stranded in an internet cafe due to the Italian weather doing a very good impersonation of the English weather... (It's pissing down with rain basically). It's even thrown in some thunder just to make me really feel at home. Reminds me of an old crowded House song, "Take the weather with you"

Whilst here I visited a shop that sells those Astroflex dessie boots that Mr Weejun mentioned in another thread. I had a good inspection of them and they seem like a well made boot, imo. There's quite a worthy story that goes with the company that makes them. I'll let you know all about it on my return, if you're interested?

I also purchased a few really nice Italian made shirts from a small local firm based in Verona as well. I'll get back to you about them on my return as well when I've got a bit more time.

Thanks again guys...

Peter Cook

#19 2010-05-27 12:17:48

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

^Depending on which airport your flying out of, if Linate, there's a good Boggi shop in the terminal. Seriously cost effective, last time I was there I purchased several blue button downs for work, including a decent royal oxford. Around 30Euros each.

#20 2010-05-28 15:47:46

BLUENOSE

First post. Don't miss the ivy/Italian wonderland of Al Bazar. I stumbled into it while looking for real Italian stuff as opposed to the designer crapola around the Galleria. Expensive and great. It's a healthy hike west of the Duomo – coordinates on Google – but worth the walk.

#21 2010-05-28 16:14:45

TheWeejun

"Mr. Weejun is a beast." 1966
www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#22 2010-06-01 14:08:27

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

Well I'm back in good ole Blighty and the weather certainly hasn't let me down. Grey, grim, and chucking it down!

I have to say that my time in Milan was well spent and thoroughly enjoyable. Thanks again for the heads up fellas, they were very useful tips and didn't go a miss. I must say that I failed to see the correlation between Milan and Manchester, except that they both begin with an M.

If anyone ever moans to me about how expensive London is, I shall hastily rebuke them and pass on my knowledge on how over priced and expensive Milan can be. You may get free aperitivo with your drinks, but when you're paying 10 euros+ for a glass of wine you deserve it. I even paid 15 euros in one place. I spent a small fortune on wining and dining while I was there, and I was'nt being remotely extravagant. The cheapest drink for me in Milan was a glass of Chardonnay at the airport on the way home.

On the whole though I really dug the place. I also found some really cool places of my own such as the Pasticceria - Confetteria, Via Montenapoleone 8, which was my first port of call every morning for a coffee while I was there. Followed by a visit to Giovanni Gali for some Italian pastry The Il Bar on the top floor of La Rinascente (Via Santa Radegonda 3, Piazza Duomo) was quite nice for some terrace dining in the sunshine.

Aperitivo at Bulgari hotel was an excellent shout Danielle. What a really nice place to spend the afternoon when the sun's shining! I also checked out Ravizza, which was the old gentlemen outfitters in Corso Europa (off Piazza S. Babila), via Hoepli that Danielle also mentioned. In fact it was a breath of fresh air after being bogged down with all the usual run of the mill fashion houses. I just wish there were more shops like that around Milan. There was a nice restaurant a few minutes from Ravizza called Meda Cafe, which is next door to the Baldinini clothes shop which is on Via Danti.

I really enjoyed hopping on and off the old style orange trams to get around. Watching them crawl along the cobble stoned roads around town really made the place seem a tad more romantic, which was nice.

I'll definitely be heading back to Milan if ever I have get the chance in future. I barely skimmed the surface of the place, so next time I'll scratch a bit deeper...

Peter Cook

Board footer