You are not logged in.

#26 2014-12-28 04:25:21

Bop

Re: Your Approach To Ivy?

The problem with England is it's damp and no matter how warm you dress..even if it's not rainy that damp can chill you to the bone

Last edited by Bop (2014-12-28 04:25:57)

#27 2014-12-28 05:01:09

An Unseen Scene

Ivy has evolved into a definitely British take on it for me, less specifically USA focussed, dropping my post Mod hangover and just getting on with it.  I have been trading up to better fabrics, shoes, combinations.  Ivy is less conscious for me.  I absorbed the history and rules, found what I like and now I'm enjoying finding my take on it.   Mid century architecture and design has been my main focus in lasr year as we extended our home and achieved the look and comfort we sought.

#28 2014-12-28 13:36:56

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Getting back to the OP... Ivy is completely functional for me, its a style for all seasons and all occasions.

Last night at a restaurant with my in laws, a tweed sack,Makers, bedford cords and Pennies.

Today at my mothers for lunch ...Fizzy Madras, Cords , a Shetland and Blucher mocs.

Tomorrow at the office, a Raincoat, a Lamb wool cardigan ,OCBD, Flannels and Longwings.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#29 2014-12-28 15:13:41

Worried Man

My general approach to Ivy is to just look through the Tech Ivy thread and put myself in their shoes... quite literally I might add.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#30 2014-12-29 12:38:55

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#31 2014-12-29 16:48:55

Worried Man

I'm probably not warming to the varsity jacket anytime soon (pun intended?).  I love the abrupt "looky here! I'm an American yoot!" look that it exudes, but I'm not sure I could pull it off myself without looking like a doof.  ...not that that's ever stopped me from doing anything.  I feel that with each passing second, I'm only that much farther away from being able to wear one convincingly. 

Them Tech boys of the boom years really speak to me.  Maybe it's partly because I'm a native Atlantan, but that particular strain of the natural shoulder / OCBD look just does it for me: it's the perfect example of how to wear the boom look in my exact climate.  That's probably why it strikes a similar chord with you, Stan.  MMMmmmmmmmm... short-sleeve button-down.  Plus, they weren't averse to prints, and I'll use any excuse necessary to get under Armchaired's skin.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#32 2014-12-31 03:39:38

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.

Just to get a repp..

#33 2014-12-31 03:53:14

An Unseen Scene

Thanks for that Axelist, the more I read, the more I see the exchange of ideas and styles.  In terms of formal wear which is a key part of my working life, Ivy aspects add a slight sense of distinction and informality in a fairly conventional industry sector.  Button down shirts, knitted ties, jackets always with patch pockets, swelled edges, flat front trousers, short raincoats are different to my colleagues around the world but still acceptable.   If anything it marks me out as a 'creative' which is helpful.    For casual wear, a relaxed Ivy based look is perfect.  On the whole though I'm getting to that point where other than on this forum and in my reading, I'm able generally to stop thinking about it day to day.   I don't feel the need the be pure or comply in the way I did  a few years ago (the evidence is all there in the forum).  I haven't really got time to worry or post a lot of the time, which can be a good thing.  I'd be recognisable to an Ivy advocate but as you say, looking contemporary.   I doubt these days most of my old Mod mates of decades ago would see the connection anymore, stuck as they are in an unprogressive stylistic moment in time when I see them in passing.  After many bad ebay, vintage and importing experiences I just wear the right clothes, shoes and accessories I can find in UK, finding the right items from British and overseas retailers.

Board footer