You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-19 00:38:20

shamrockmonkey

gant hugger reproductions on sale.....

.....on a site called "epaulet", which seems to be somehow related to styleforum. the basic oxford in blue, pink, and white is marked down to 85 dollars. its "selvedge oxford" with a hidden selvedge stripe on the inner placket-seems like a stupid detail considering the rest of the reproduction looks to be all out, they even reproduced the serial numbers, gant diamond, and union tag on the bottom-which takes a lot of nerve considering theyre made in india. hopefully they lose their shirts (pun intended)  in a  copyright infringement suit and make the next batch of 150 dollar shirts in the first world. still sorely tempted though.......

Last edited by shamrockmonkey (2010-06-19 00:43:17)

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#2 2010-06-21 04:14:43

Si Cheeba

Re: gant hugger reproductions on sale.....

Hi guys - been lurking on here for a while but never posted before - just been soaking it all up and breathing it in like a nice warm vintage Brandy...

Any  as this topic was very topical for me I though I'd add my two penn'th

Visited their shop in Brooklyn the other week on my last NY trip.  It's just a tiny operation where they seem to be doing nice shirts under their own name (all made in USA) as well as stocking Gant and Gitman shirts. 

It's a bit harsh to suggest they are producing the Gant rip offs.  They seem a genuinely good operation with their heart in the right place.

I had one of their tartan seersucker short sleeve BDs - whilst my buddy went for a couple of their long sleeves - one lovely superlight madras and another in a large gingham in a great material. It's all good gravy !

Cheers, Si

#3 2010-06-21 04:34:44

Rip Rig & Panic

Superlight Madras.  Excellent.  Neil Martin.

#4 2010-06-21 20:57:10

shamrockmonkey

#5 2010-06-22 04:22:27

Si Cheeba

Fair do's Sham. 

Only your original post made it seem that Epualet were at fault and were producing some form of Gant repros - from the way it reads. 

I agree that Gant are being a bit shady with adding those details on their shirts  - this is part of the problem with the big companies doing "heritage" brands.  They often just run off a few designs and get them made in "A. N. OTHER" third world sweat shop - and then sell them on at a premium price.

So it's actually "props" to Epualet for thier own US made range - done properly

Before you ask - I'm based in the UK and have no affiliation with them or style forum.  I'm just a happy customer who likes to see a small business with the correct attitude do well - whether they are US or UK or wherever

all the best, Si

#6 2010-06-22 05:41:27

Rip Rig & Panic

Is Gant still good in the US?  I have my doubts about it here, viewing it with the same scepticism as, say, Austin Reed or Van Heusen.  Or Arrow.  All were once good, and I was especially fond of a claret and blue Austin Reed seersucker I used to wear beneath a burgundy G9, until the collar split wide open and my wife insisted I throw it out.  I own a nice Gant madras half-sleeve, but it's easily available near me, and I see old guys and clueless younger ones wearing the newer stuff: golf jackets and polo shirts mainly.  I suspect it's made in the Third World.  Of course, Viyella is mostly bollocks now, too.  I still buy the odd US-made Ralph Lauren in preference.  John Simons sold RL and Jeff Garrett used to wear a bit - good enough for me.  But that fucking logo!!

#7 2010-06-22 08:35:33

Klook

#8 2010-06-22 08:57:00

shamrockmonkey

yeah, reading it back it does indeed look that like i was accusing them of knocking off gant. their own range does look quite nice and its good to see them doing stuff like that.

as far as their quality here, they were a has-been mid-market department store brand for years. wearable basics at best, dorky at worst. theyve been fighting back into the high-end niche in the past few it seems, but it seemed kind of forced-like they were paying fashion magazines to throw their stuff on display all of a sudden with a change in management or ad firms.  those hugger repros look nice, but i was still shocked when i first came on here and had people asking me to find them vintage gant stuff. now that im familiar with the old stuff i can see both why its treasured and how far downhill they went.

#9 2010-06-22 08:59:43

Rip Rig & Panic

They do a reasonable repp.

#10 2010-06-22 08:59:54

shamrockmonkey

as far as austin reed or van heusen, at its worst it was probably a few increments above them. austin reed is the kind of stuff you see at sears. VH, with the exception of plain dress shirts, seems to do most of their business at outlet malls, to japanese/eastern european tourists.

Last edited by shamrockmonkey (2010-06-22 09:00:19)

#11 2010-06-22 09:03:29

shamrockmonkey

#12 2010-06-22 09:04:57

Rip Rig & Panic

Does the collar look stiff?  Does it look 'English'?  Reed/VH do, so that's that.  Just a single glance at the collar before where made, what made of...

#13 2010-06-22 09:17:25

shamrockmonkey

not so much stiff fused collars as festooned with little gant tags, sometimes woven into the loop. assorted toerh cheesiness-fabrics look wrong, cut is off, etc. to be honest i havent seen a dress shirt from them in eons. austin reed here is mostly a manufacturer of cheap suits/blazers, if they make a shirt for domestic consumption its the type of thing thats on eternal 40%off sale in the darkest corner of the store......

#14 2010-06-22 09:40:34

Rip Rig & Panic

We Brits can have a lot of fun in our charity shops, searching for an acceptable shirt.  I say 'fun' through gritted teeth...  Hundreds of pieces of crap before you see anything even remotely worth having.

#15 2010-06-22 16:28:48

colin
Bright Light

anywhere outside of London and I would use the word torture!

Last edited by colin (2010-06-22 16:29:14)

#16 2010-06-23 01:06:33

Rip Rig & Panic

Board footer