You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-22 12:13:25

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

The Missing Ingredients?

Let's generalise...

Europe largely lacks 'Preppy' & America is mainly missing 'Ivy League' when it comes to this style of ours online.

... And Japan has everything in a right royal & joyous mix up.

Europe largely lacks the fantasy class element that online America loves so much and America is mainly missing the focus on the clothes just for their own sake when it comes to this style of ours online.

... And Japan just has fun!

No?

#2 2010-06-22 16:27:44

colin
Bright Light

Re: The Missing Ingredients?

... but the Japanese always seem to get things right. They get detail and style, as opposed to superficial image like trads seem to do. To my eyes.

#3 2010-06-22 19:33:51

robbo

what the fuck are you guys talking about ?

#4 2010-06-23 01:10:58

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#5 2010-06-23 01:48:53

Harpo
The Best In The West

I think the European experience of yer actual proper, barking mad, sister shagging aristocrats means that this little avenue of fantasy is one we really don't want to turn down. Thus our interest in the more democratic idea of the Ivy style - especially as it comes to us, not through priviliged patrician college kids, but through the filter of a marginalised American minority, namely black Jazz musicians......?

In America, however, the fantasy of patrician breeding and some sort of ancient family legitimacy (of the Hamilton Q. Bunkerton the Third variety) is unfettered by the European experience of Proper Nobs - hence the Trad. nonsense.

Am I talking bollocks here?

Randy lower-class trifler

#6 2010-06-23 01:50:30

Rip Rig & Panic

No need now to start a new thread. 

Exile - self-imposed - set me thinking.

A couple of years ago someone was auctioning a raccoon coat on Ebay.  Very 20s east coast elite, all roadsters, hooch and dancing to Mugsy Spanier.  Something like that anyway.  I put in a couple of little bids, but there was way too much interest.  Can't remember what it fetched in the end.  Would I have ever worn it?  No.  It was a piece of history.  And that's how John Simons described a pair of saddle bucks to me.  I bought 'em and sold 'em.  Too small for me by far.  A girl bought 'em. 

History.  Yeah.  Can't imagine the raccoon coat ever being revived as an item of Ivy wardrobe - a shade too extreme - but I'm aware of it as a pre-war look, just as I am that Austin Reed latched onto the polo image around 1937 and was offering shirts in sea island cotton to the Mayfair set.  Ivy evolved, 'prep' is an invention.  Yet blurring seems inevitable.  We might as well fess up to this.  On the other hand, the dividing lines are plain to see: certainly in terms of colour choice.  The young preps are positively encouraged to go in for brightness.  We, though, might take a step backwards between mid-September and late May, varying our knitwear (for example) between maroon, bottle green (etc.), navy blue and the various shades of grey.  Summer - and this is where it blurs - can bring out a touch of prep in even the most ardent Ivyist.  But we do it with a twist. 

Tear up the handbook, close your eyes and think Jeff Garrett-style.

#7 2010-06-23 01:58:00

Rip Rig & Panic

#8 2010-06-23 11:28:50

Rip Rig & Panic

#9 2010-06-23 12:31:47

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

'Ad a chat with Jeff this PM - Let me get you two in touch again?

Jeff is cool.

#10 2010-06-23 12:33:05

shamrockmonkey

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#11 2010-06-23 12:37:53

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Trad IS Southern & MidWest...

It's not East Coast & never was - although it pretended to be for a long while!

But that's OK.

Now we know.

#12 2010-06-23 12:41:48

Rip Rig & Panic

#13 2010-06-23 12:46:26

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

The OPH is Gay & Jewish: Fact! It was an NYC fashion biz bit of snarky fun. Waaaay over the heads of all those neophyte Southerners & MidWesterners... Maybe?

Ripper - Gimme a ring?

Jimbo.

#14 2010-06-23 12:54:27

Rip Rig & Panic

More years back than I care to remember, though, I mixed BB with A&F chinos and Timberland.  Heard it, even then, labelled 'prep', but by a middle-aged expat jazz fan.  To me, then, it was just clean, neat and a bit different, after the post-punk era.

#15 2010-06-23 14:36:33

Quay

No. Silly boys. America "missing Ivy League?" Don't be daft. Ivy Style as defined here in Talk Ivy Land is a narrow style made possible by voyeurism not by living it. Almost any debate here is "settled" by a reference to or picture from popular media. Which is to say, all the created BS made for export not the genuine article made for the home market.

Now if y'all had grown up in the whole ivy league and been around that set, you'd not find anything missing. But since it's only seen from afar over there, you will always be missing things.

Some things have to be directly experienced to be fully understood and no amount of watching movies, looking at ads or shopping in stores that get their ideas from wily sales people over here can make up for that.

This is not to say there is anything wrong with this narrower interpretation, but just like it's impossible to brew a truly excellent cup of Earl Grey in New York--you have to be in or around London and use local waters and tea blended by fine British tea merchants. You can't be an Ivy League-style man unless you actually lived it. You can try to copy the style but...if created spasms on film and in media are your primary reference, you've been had before you even start.

"It is my belief that nearly any invented quotation, played with confidence, stands a good chance to deceive."
- Mark Twain

#16 2010-06-24 00:37:18

Rip Rig & Panic

#17 2010-06-24 00:44:42

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Now, now, Mr. Quay, please pay attention like you usually do - Your old Uncle Jim said ONLINE America and said that it MAINLY MISSED.

And so I think that my GENERALISED point may still stand. Maybe?

Real life has very little to do with forum land on the whole as you well know... And as my Sainted Pa also used to say to me from behind those 1962 Ben Silver catalogues he used to like to read in the evenings...

#18 2010-06-24 09:32:26

Quay

"It is my belief that nearly any invented quotation, played with confidence, stands a good chance to deceive."
- Mark Twain

Board footer