You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-23 01:39:41

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Proper Preppy!

Well worth reclaiming in the good old summer time -

Throw the OPH on to the fire and dig back into where Preppy came from!

I'll propose a classic White Fred Perry Shirt, to suit the current mood of the forum, teamed with a surcingle belt, Khakis that fit and your choice of footwear that look the part. Tennis shoes are fine.

As ever, less is more.

Go wild with a striped Surcingle belt, but a solid coloured Grosgrain G10 strap on your watch.

Keep it masculine, unlike the OPH, and keep it underplayed. No big 'look at me and my madras bow tie' statements.

And add a cotton jumper for the evening chill.

^ Sound OK?

#2 2010-06-23 02:04:59

Rip Rig & Panic

Re: Proper Preppy!

#3 2010-06-23 02:08:32

Rip Rig & Panic

Anybody ever seen pictures of Bogart in his pre-trenchcoat days?  Now there's a look to avoid.  The tennis-playing juvenile.

#4 2010-06-23 12:42:26

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

And let's bump this thread again in the Autumn too - Proper Preppy before the OPH - LEVIS & Boots... Even Tom22 agreed on that!

#5 2010-06-23 12:46:45

Rip Rig & Panic

#6 2010-06-23 14:39:38

Quay

Everything you propose is right out of the OPH, especially if you tennis shoes are Tretorn.

Although I must agree with keeping it underplayed. There are times a loud statement is a great thing, but "constant shouting" becomes a costume people get tired of seeing long after the mirror keeps approving it.

"It is my belief that nearly any invented quotation, played with confidence, stands a good chance to deceive."
- Mark Twain

#7 2010-06-24 00:50:39

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#8 2010-06-24 09:40:09

Quay

^ Well, it's been a while since I sidled into a mall or retail place on the lookout for Preppy, but you're probably right. OPH was satire but done so with a remarkably keen eye to details, many of which seem to have gotten lost these days. After all, it takes a little effort to notice nuance let alone work with it.

I remember a lot of people pulling off some bit of loud and fun but, as in all comedy and theater, timing is everything. These days, so few seem to be able to hit their marks with anything except a kind of colossal thud.

Now that I think about it and my tea level has risen, the "exaggerations of style" is probably spot-on, especially in terms of colors. Breton Red became a signature Preppy color long before OPH because it was (a) a well-balanced color when new and (b) it gently faded to a truly pleasing softer hue. But these days, fire-engine red trousers "that maintain their color wash after wash"? Eeek!

Last edited by Quay (2010-06-24 09:41:16)

"It is my belief that nearly any invented quotation, played with confidence, stands a good chance to deceive."
- Mark Twain

Board footer