You are not logged in.

#401 2010-11-22 12:56:32

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: The Ivy Book

#402 2010-11-22 13:03:09

Rip Rig & Panic

You all go around in your Harringtons, jeans and loafers if you want to.

#403 2010-11-22 13:03:27

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#404 2010-12-17 00:47:38

shamrockmonkey

as of last week the tome appears to be sold out within the City of Chicago.
Only copies left unsold are in rich, WASP-infested suburbs.

Ivy for Everyone.

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#405 2011-01-09 16:23:31

Big Tony

I was flipping through the book this afternoon and enjoyed it. I got the same fun feeling that I did when I starting going through those Sports Illustrated issues online. I see Chens has done a bit on the Japanese ivy fans (miyuki-zoku) but he was still dressing in white bow ties when we learned about the all-important Japanese role in preserving this style.

I think someone needs to scan in those Ivy Illustrated booklets.

"What sort of post-apocalyptic deathscape is this?"
"I don't want to look like a cock hungry sailor after all !!!"
"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#406 2011-07-15 12:20:22

Republican Party Reptile

I've been opening the book at random, noting how much of the 'mystery' is taken out of 'Ivy'.  Good.  The older I get, the less difficult it seems.

#407 2011-07-15 13:06:49

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I had the pleasure of seeing both the authors at the new John Simons shop when GQ magazine came to photograph. Graham Marsh wore the same blue cotton J Keydge Ivy League sack jacket as Paul Simons (the son of John Simons), Jimmy and Jason Jules although Jason was busy that day elsewhere. The jacket is a London Ivy league best seller and I think currently waiting for new stock to come in.
Talking of Jason Jules here is an account of his dinner with Jimmy and co featuring Jim's shirt!  http://www.garmsville.com/2011/06/close-up-and-continental-hamburg.html
John Gall (J.P. Gaul) was immaculately dressed in Ivy League style with the perfect knitted tie. An imposingly tall figure until you catch his eye and he smiles and laughs which he seemed to spend all day doing along with the other Ivy League fans in London that day.
Graham Marsh is an older gentleman and also very smart in a relaxed way. Both authors were very approachable and Jimmy was working the room in his usual way. A day I will remember forever.

Doog

#408 2011-07-16 02:29:59

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

It's painful to see how thin Jim's hand is in that photo.

Doog.

#409 2011-07-26 05:44:17

AlexisAjota-e

I can't spam for toffee.  I'm a disgrace.

Last edited by Russell_Street (2011-07-26 13:12:16)

#410 2011-10-11 03:26:39

Andy_B
Ivy Realist

#411 2021-12-10 03:21:01

A Fine Sadness

Just looking back, without having gone through the seventeen pages of postings, I was just thinking yet again how the book both promoted and (if you'll forgive the expression) 'demystified' Ivy style.  Just choose yourself a decent polo shirt, some high rise chinos or khakis and a pair of old school sneakers.  You can carry - or tuck away in your back pocket - a pack of Lucky Strike or Camels.  A Zippo lighter.  If you like. If you don't - don't.  Your watch needn't be expensive.  Mine isn't.  In fact, I much prefer straps to watches: a little patina, you know?  That polo shirt...  you can wear it tucked or untucked, just as you please.  Nice to be walking on warm sand, though, with Jackie Bisset a few feet away... 
No worries about how a jacket drapes here.  None about seams or vents.  We don't even object if you get your sneakers a little grubby.
After all, you're not a 'Mod', or a Dedicated Follower Of Fashion.  You're with us.
A 'limited pallet'?  Study it.  You may find it pays off.
Look at how both our Gibson and JFM pared it all down whilst working in the shops.

Board footer