You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-21 09:03:01

Rip Rig & Panic

Surprise Surprise: Cilla Black

She gave a lovely performance on 'Ready Steady Go'.  I sold my tape on to Top Mod Alan Fletcher for his stage show, so can't revisit it.  But it was excellent.  Van Morrison was also on it.

#2 2010-07-22 02:38:44

Gibson Gardens
Ivy Author

Re: Surprise Surprise: Cilla Black

I fear you're pushing it a bit with this one RR&P. I know this is increasingly a 'broad church' but really....

#3 2010-07-22 02:43:15

Rip Rig & Panic

Forget everything you've ever thought about her.  The 'RSG' performance was good.  Cook and Moore were on and were embarrassing.

#4 2010-07-22 02:45:54

Gibson Gardens
Ivy Author

Singing ALFIE?

#5 2010-07-22 02:56:51

Rip Rig & Panic

Embarrassingly, I can't remember.  It was more the musical backing that struck me.  It certainly wasn't 'Alfie'.  A bit earlier perhaps.  Sandie Shaw was also on with 'Girl, Don't Come' (another mildly erotic memory of mine).  I'm pretty sure Georgie was on, too.

No - forget I ever mentioned it.

#6 2010-07-22 03:09:46

Rip Rig & Panic

I really did - and do - hate John Lennon.  Though I had a soft spot for George Harrison.  In spite of having to hear 'My Sweet Lord' on the jukebox each time I came out of the changing room after school swimming lessons.

#7 2010-07-22 03:20:00

Gibson Gardens
Ivy Author

I can't focus my feelings about The Beatles. I feel many contradictory things. I kind of agree about Lennon, a tedious, arrogant, rather unattractive man, certainly from '67 onwards. I have little time for them post-Revolver. McCartney though I think is much more interesting. He dabbled with art, was openly aspirational, always intellectually curious and open-minded and stuck to his principles. He sent his kids to the local state school for God's sake. One of the richest men on the planet. Who, in his position, would do that today? Shitty old Weller sends his kids to private school the fucking sell-out. And McCartney's commitment to vegetarianism is hugely admirable. Musically though forget it, and as for clothes - aach, let's not even go there....

g.g.

#8 2010-07-22 03:26:27

Rip Rig & Panic

Getting slightly off-subject, the vegetarianism thing is hugely interesting; part of 'modernist austerity' perhaps.  I've been married to two and my daughter by my second wife is strict.  God knows I've tried, but I can't do it. 
Didn't realise that about Weller. 
I sold a lot of Silver Age comics to someone called Paul McCartney on Ebay.  The guy was buying shedloads of Rupert and stuff.  I probed, but he didn't let on.

#9 2010-07-22 05:52:05

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Paul and George, right!!

John Lennon's only bonus is the early but not so timely death... bah... rock mythology....
Ringo's bonus is what? the lack of intelligence, his tasteless rings... nah... but he kept a steady beat.... the Sgt. Peppers' reprise break is an early hip hop classic from the block parties...

Haven't heard Beatles stuff for ages... A Hard Day's Night, Help, Rubber Soul and Revolver and some obvious 45s such as Daytripper and Paperback Writer were often on my record player... growing up with the red and blue compilations...

Come together has a nice bass line, and there's some more good stuff on Abbey Road... The White Album is at least two times too long, Obladi must be Paul's worst song, at least it is not state of the art blue beat sound of the period... at that time.... generally, I agree about too much pretentious stuff starting with "Sgt. Peppers LHCB"....

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#10 2010-07-22 05:53:19

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#11 2010-07-22 07:08:53

Rip Rig & Panic

#12 2010-07-22 07:11:41

Kingstonian

Ricky Tomlinson makes a reasonable point that Cilla has gone on to become a professional scouser, like Tarbie etc.

#13 2010-07-22 07:15:04

Chris_H
Ivy Original

Cilla Black was hugely overrated, usually by herself......

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hardyandjohnson/

#14 2010-07-22 07:16:33

Rip Rig & Panic

Wish I'd never got onto this 'un!

#15 2010-07-22 07:47:41

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”

#16 2010-07-22 07:48:57

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”

Board footer