You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-21 09:06:40

Rip Rig & Panic

'Ready Steady Go'

'I fell in love with Cathy McGow-wow-wow-wow-an...'  So sang Generation X, who stole their name from that famous book...  I'm too young to remember it, but I'm hoping Chris H might comment.

#2 2010-07-21 16:09:43

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Re: 'Ready Steady Go'

definitely part of the commercial aspects of the pop explosion and the way the mod scene was represented by the media when it went mainstream.

Not much has survived, but I like the Otis and the Motown specials and some of the others... even Jerry Lee Lewis has a nice performance in one episode...

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#3 2010-07-22 04:34:27

Si Cheeba

You probably all know the story of Dave Clark buying up the rights and repackaging them - but spliced with clips of DC5 (on stage somewhere - not even on RSG) interspersed with clips of Beatles fans.

The episodes repeated in the 80s and subsequently put out on VHS were effectively these bastardized edits of proper episodes.  Don't know what happened since regarding rights, etc as they've never  come out on DVD.

Yes, it was pop in part and signalled the next phase of mainstream "mod" (simply reflected that time?)- but I think the programme can be harshly done by.

yeh they had 60s pop puppets - but almost every week they'd have visiting US RnB / soul stars (who may not have even been in the charts) as well as credible UK folks like Georgie Fame, etc.  Also the fact you did have some well dressed proper mods representing the dancers direct from the soho clubs.

Compared to anything else at the time (and you could argue since...) the calibre of guests and audience was pretty high.  I mean what do we have now - even with 500 channels to choose from!?

One of the best clips is Rufus Thomas doing Jump Back - proper live, raw and greasy !

Last edited by Si Cheeba (2010-07-22 04:39:21)

#4 2010-07-22 04:40:57

Rip Rig & Panic

Funny, as punky types between 1976 and 1978, how much time we spent looking back.  I'd also discovered 'Quadrophenia' during the summer of 76 and began the first of my odd crossover phases.  There was definitely something very appealing about 64-65 - then.  The sharper knives in the drawer were always casting round for something new for a week or two before moving on.  It was all highly imprecise, of course.

#5 2010-07-22 04:42:43

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

yup, some pretty good stuff... unlike all the pop idol superstar x factor whatever...

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#6 2010-07-22 07:23:41

Chris_H
Ivy Original

I enjoyed RSG, normally a high standard of featured artist.....Fordyce and Aldred? I thought were knobs but Cathy Mcgowan I could take or leave....I remember her coming found the Fender Club giving away tickets for RSG, she blew me out so that might have coloured my opinion of her....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hardyandjohnson/

#7 2010-07-22 07:27:00

Rip Rig & Panic

Was this about the first example of the media picking up on something and presenting it in this way?  Forcing it overground.  I'm just about old enough to remember when Ben Sherman shirts were slightly 'underground'.  Ivy still is, to a large extent, because you've got to care in a way that is rare in this day and age.  'Clean Living In Difficult Circumstances' still resonates.  If only people would bathe and send their gear to the dry-cleaners more often.  My next door neighbour: barbecuing in a stained vest and shorts, swigging lager from the bottle.  Whatever happened to the mod aesthetic?

#8 2010-07-22 07:39:53

Chris_H
Ivy Original

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hardyandjohnson/

#9 2010-07-22 07:41:23

Rip Rig & Panic

Board footer