You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-22 02:24:55

Rip Rig & Panic

The Sixties

I got turned off the 60s a few years ago and onto the 50s.  Well, wouldn't you?  I grew up in the 60s.  'Thunderbirds', Bond, The Beatles, Carnaby Street, Harold Wilson, 'The Avengers'...  Lots of guys on here were already out and about doing their shopping.  In hindsight, though, it seems that the first half or thereabouts of that decade are worth re-considering.  A pity how it all had to end, but it does seem genuinely creative and even generous in spirit: something that maybe ended with Heath in 1970 and has never returned to life...  Well, the Ivy Shop and others were booming...  People seemed, at least on the surface, to be having a good time...  so long as they could forget about Vietnam, the killing of JFK, Aberfan and a growing economic crisis... 

Some of the music wasn't too bad.  Difficult to find anything now worth listening to.  But then:  Georgie Fame, Dusty Springfield, The Yardbirds, Graham Bond, Zoot Money, Manfred Mann etc. etc.  And the BBC maybe didn't treat TV viewers like drooling half-wits...

#2 2010-07-22 02:44:45

Gibson Gardens
Ivy Author

Re: The Sixties

I've always gone along with that David Bailey quote about it all being over by 1965. The second half of the 60s just gets uglier and uglier and by the time the 70s arrived good taste and focused modernist-oriented creativity was virtually over. Since then we've just limped along. The 20 years after the war was the most amazing in terms of creativity, especially a cultural energy which improved the world for all classes, not just the privileged : cinema, fashion, better housing, affordable travel, great music. We still dip into that period endlessly for inspiration. We've never improved on it. We have lost our way.

g.g.

#3 2010-07-22 02:47:07

Rip Rig & Panic

#4 2010-07-22 07:47:02

Yuca

I have mixed feelings over this.  The sixties over by '65 - obviously that's an overstatement and generalisation, however in terms of style and music then I agree.  In fact the latter half of the 50s was also outstanding in these respects - ivy ubiquitous and jazz, blues, rnb, proto soul (Brother Ray and Sam Cooke), mambo and whatever else highly creative.

But I also regard the 70s as a wonderful decade, despite the lack of the sort of clothes I love.  For music, film, interior design, style and other things, the 70s were pretty good.  Even though I don't wear 70s style, I love to admire it in films - the clothes then appear considerably better than the designer led overpriced crap that has become the norm nowadays.  I'm sure most of you would disagree, but I do recall someone else around here expressing a similar sentiment around a year or so ago (possibly related to Clint Eastwood, I don't have time to use the search function at present).

Also, I think the (better) 70s fashions were very flattering to females.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose, I consider 70s and even very early 80s fashion to have a certain class and boldness that has been missing ever since then.  I'm not referring to the stereotypical 70s fancy dress/bad taste style, I'm referring to the sort of clothes that are seen in numerous films and programmes from that decade.

On saying that, if I'd been wearing ivy in the 60s then in the 70s I would have been gutted to have to choose between looking a decade out of date or sticking with the style I love.

Last edited by Yuca (2010-07-22 07:55:20)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#5 2010-07-22 07:52:43

Chris_H
Ivy Original

The more I look back at the mid-to-late 50's the fonder I'm becoming of it......I enjoyed three quarters of the 60's too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hardyandjohnson/

#6 2010-07-22 07:59:22

Yuca

In terms of music, I often turn to the 40s - Louis Jordan, Joe Liggins, early Spoon, etc - a lot more subtlety than a lot of the 50s stuff.  Just my personal taste of course . . .

Last edited by Yuca (2010-07-22 07:59:48)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#7 2010-07-22 08:16:11

Rip Rig & Panic

As Chris has said elsewhere, we can't turn back the clock - to any decade.  But it's nice to look back, regardless.  You only have to read, say, Gibson Gardens' 'On Cool' to realise what has been lost to us in terms of style.  I enjoyed the 60s, no question.  I seemed to spend most of the 70s dodging cavemen who wanted to inflict multiple injuries, trying to lose my cherry or find a better paying job.  I hated the mod revival; it seemed so meaningless to me.  The 80s really were the pits, though.  Duran Duran etc.

#8 2010-07-22 08:43:48

Chris_H
Ivy Original

I can't remember who said "the 60's never began until 1963", but they weren't looking in the right place. The 60's thing had its roots in the late 50's.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hardyandjohnson/

#9 2010-07-22 08:58:56

Rip Rig & Panic

I also loved 'Matthew And Son' by Cat Stevens.  What year must that have been?  About 68?

#10 2010-07-22 09:22:23

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#11 2010-07-22 09:28:22

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#12 2010-07-22 19:10:19

ParsonOban

Has anybody read Dominic Sandbrook's books on the Sixties in Britain, Never Had It So Good and White Heat?

Board footer