You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-24 08:31:26

Rip Rig & Panic

Burton

Never bought anything of theirs to my recollection.  When they were still all right I was too young, and I've been laughing out loud at them ever since.  This a.m., however, over in Nottingham once more - the alleged 'murder capital of Europe' - I was allowed into the stock room of a vintage shop and, hey presto, a 60s car coat, fawn, Peter Pan collar, interesting and attractive lining, wool and angora.  £38. 
Some of you will, I'm sure, have memories of them.

#2 2010-07-24 08:48:39

runic

Re: Burton

I read somewhere that they offered a highly affordable made to measure suit and were hugely popular in the UK during the years after WWII.

There's a nice little piece on the history of Burton over at the BBC Leeds website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/leeds/content/articles/2005/07/05/local_history_montague_burton_feature.shtml

#3 2010-07-24 13:12:35

Kingstonian

Burtons and 'John Collier, John Collier the window to watch !' had the lower end of the made-to-measure market. But we are talking a long time ago. Now they are RTW, they are just another High Street fashion retailer. I went up to Burton Group HQ in Hudson Road Mills, Leeds in the early 70s. One time they were the largest clothing manufacturer in the world but by then just the HQ for a retail chain. Once people like my Dad decided that a Marks and Sparks suit was as good and a lot less hassle Burton's decline was only a matter of time.

I was never sure of the High Street MTM pecking order. Hepworths were more expensive and there other chains too.

#4 2010-07-24 13:17:50

Beatnik's ghost

I'm old enough to remember Burtons as a bespoke tailors with a small 'off the peg' selection. The blokes that worked there were straight off the 'Fast Show... Ooh suits you Sir...'
They had a huge oil painting of Montague Burton, the founder, on the wall. My first made to measure tweed jacket for my brother's wedding....

#5 2010-07-24 17:04:41

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

Board footer