You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-25 11:17:16

Rip Rig & Panic

Matching

This is a problem I sometimes run into: buying something then wondering for ages what to match it with.  I simply cannot be unco-ordinated and so it can be a terrific problem.  I often find myself thinking about that bloody colour wheel on Ask Andy.  It normally works itself out in the end but that old thing about 'blue and green should never be seen' I defy by wearing a crewneck sweater with denim.

#2 2010-07-25 13:39:16

chatsworth osborne jr.

Re: Matching

Buy blander colors and this becomes a non-issue. 

WTF is this blue & green nonsense?  Removing garments prominently featuring both blue and green would cost me nine ties, four shirts, one belt and one pocket square.

#3 2010-07-25 15:37:00

Rip Rig & Panic

Blue/green?  Kind of rubbish my mother-in-law talks, CO.  Nothing much to worry about.

#4 2010-07-25 15:53:22

ParsonOban

Cultural convention of some sort, perhaps?

Just as a curious aside, from Michel Pastoureau's Black: The History of a Color:
"Consider a single example drawn from the spectrum. For us, following Newton’s experiments and the spectral classification of colors, it is indisputable that green is located somewhere between yellow and blue. Many social customs, scientific calculations, “natural” proofs (the rainbow, for example), and everyday practices of all kinds are constantly present to remind or convince us of this. Now, for men of antiquity or the Middle Ages, that idea hardly made sense. In no ancient or medieval color system is green located between yellow and blue. The latter two colors are not present in the same ranges or along the same axes; thus they cannot have an intermediary stage, a “middle” that would be green. Green maintains direct relations with blue but has no relationship with yellow. Moreover, with regard to painting and dyeing, no recipe before the fifteenth century taught us that it was necessary to mix yellow and blue to obtain green."

"Two juxtaposed colors that constitute a strong contrast for us could form a relatively weak contrast for them, and vice versa. Let us stay with the example of green. In the Middle Ages, to juxtapose red and green (the most common color combination for clothing between the time of Charlemagne and Louis IX) represented a weak contrast, almost a monochrome. Now for us it represents a violent contrast, opposing a primary color and its complementary color. Conversely, to juxtapose yellow and green, two neighboring colors in the spectrum, forms hardly a noticeable contrast for us. Yet in the Middle Ages it was the strongest contrast that could be created; lunatics were dressed in it and it served to indicate dangerous, transgressive, or diabolical behavior!"

#5 2010-07-26 07:24:57

Harpo
The Best In The West

I've never dug that "blue and green" rule - it's all about instinct and trusting your taste. In fact I'v just bought a beautiful vintage silk rep stripe tie in blue and green and it works wonderfully well. What I avoid like the plague is "beige on beige" - say a natural harington with a pair of khakis - can't stand that wall of beige look.

Randy lower-class trifler

#6 2010-07-30 10:29:21

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

The beige on beige, or any same colour looks awful. 

White on off white works, but only if you're in the tropics without air conditioning and are a rumbullion drunk captain on the local tramp steamer smuggling illegals, Cutty-Sark whisky and martini-henries through the islands.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#7 2010-07-30 10:44:40

Chris_H
Ivy Original

Nothing wrong with blue and green.....beige and beige reminds me of my father-in-law, 87 bless him.....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hardyandjohnson/

#8 2010-07-30 11:06:51

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

so many checks and stripes have both...

heard the same in Germany though: "Gruen und blau schmückt die sau" = green and blue graces the sow

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#9 2010-07-30 13:24:59

Harpo
The Best In The West

Randy lower-class trifler

Board footer