You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-25 11:49:45

Rip Rig & Panic

Ray Gosling

Talking of AIDS, that's something he's now known for: killing his boyfriend.  But, if you'll take the trouble, you'll find he wrote an exceptionally perceptive introduction to the now OOP book of Roger Mayne's photographs: contrasting working class life around North Kensington in the l950s with the chav experience of the early 21st century; talking a good deal about 'clean living in difficult circumstances' along the way.

#2 2010-07-25 14:32:22

Kingstonian

Re: Ray Gosling

Southam Street was over the Halfpenny Steps on the other side of the Harrow Road from where I grew up in the 50s. I remember kids everywhere on the streets, parked lorries getting climbed on by kids, big houses with basements and lots of floors. It was inner city. Near where 'The Blue Lamp' was filmed.The primary school had a playground on the roof; but I do not remember 'difficult circumstances'. People moved out to the suburbs if they could.

#3 2010-07-25 15:18:50

Rip Rig & Panic

Gosling was talking about the teds and the mods, living in cramped housing, but being well acquainted with the ironing board and the shoe brush: taking good care of their gear.  Not like nowadays.

#4 2010-07-26 04:40:17

Staceyboy
Ivy Archivist

So true RR&P re: Gosling's introduction to the Mayne book. I don't own a copy but I'm lucky enough to have one on the shelf here in work. Not looked as Gosling's autobiography "Personal Copy" for a good few years but I remember it as a good read. First published in 1980 it’s maybe interesting to note that Faber pulled the plug on a re-issue scheduled for May of this year though I think a version will be re-published in the autumn.

Staceyboy

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#5 2010-07-26 06:10:08

Kingstonian

I like this Mayne photo. It show a little boy with a handkerchief around his knee. Boys wore short trousers. When you fell your knee was grazed. So you had a constant scab on both knees. The handkerchief was the standard dressing until the bleeding stopped.

http://www.rogermayne.com/streets/streets11.html

#6 2010-07-26 12:52:21

Rip Rig & Panic

At school they put some yellow stinging stuff from a bottle on your knee.  Sometimes you'd see a little pile of sawdust: put down by the caretaker where some child had been sick.  We got free milk then, and my mate, who became a postie, used to bring a slice of cold toast for morning playtime - which would have scandalised my mother but which I thought looked delicious.  This would be about 1966.  Life still felt good then.

Board footer