You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-29 11:41:15

Rip Rig & Panic

Chet

A jazz writer said he played like he was 'dusting Venetian glass'.  I always loved that.

#2 2010-07-30 03:41:09

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Re: Chet

Yes, that sounds very good...

Also dig Macchiato Man's phrase "Chet Baker was our Beatles"...

Got my first Chet album as a birthday present from my father about 20 years ago, my 12th or so... I didn't get it immediately, but after the second or third time listening I was hooked... I think I got to the vocal stuff first...

I've read somewhere that "Chet Baker sings" got a lot of bad reviews and some of his fans were put off... It's hard to imagine what it was like way back in the 50s, and sometimes I fancy myself as one of those jazz purists, but I can't really understand how it's possible not being touched by his voice as well... sounds so frail, and there's so much soul (not in the sense of the genre "Soul music", of course) and it's so personal....
I think my middle brother has still borrowed one of my fave Chet albums for years, now... I gotta visit him and demand it back... This week!

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#3 2010-07-30 11:38:08

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Chet had it all going for him: musical genius, jazz-movie star looks and travel to exotic places; at the time the cool of Paris and Italy. And yet he chose, was it really heroin. Or was it something else, some kind of zen commitment to one vision of the self and music?

There were many rumours he was gay, that he only ever loved Richard Twardzik.

I have 38 albums of Chet's in this house, I guess, along with Miles and Pepper he's definitely my Beatles.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#4 2010-07-31 01:03:05

Big Mark

Love Chet, and drier than dry with Paul Desmond

Their 'Together' album is great-I assume you chaps know it.

Here's 'Autumn Leaves':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsz3mrnIBd0

So, so good.

BM

"I think I had it in the back of my mind that I wanted to sound like a dry martini."  Paul Desmond

#5 2010-07-31 02:00:00

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

That's a great album, some of the later Steeplechase released albums are good too.

A lot of his live performances are let down by weak sidemen and the fact he was probably nodding out on H on some of the solos. Even so, there's always flashes of brilliance.

The main criticism of Chet tends to be that his playing was effete, which is the main gripe against the West Coast and cool school musicians. They didn't play straight hard bop and were lost in pretentious baroque chamber music etiquette.  He was not an innovator.

Chet, like Morissey is a one trick pony, he played in one style until the end. There are a few exceptions with Mariachi bands and the like, but he found perfection and purity of form. Something that Mulligan was trying to do in the end with ever more perfect versions of his old recordings.

Chet remains the idealised vision of the wasted musician who threw it all away to satisfy his own soul. The figure in Bruce Weber's documentary is truly beautiful. Perhaps only a trick with lenses and Kodak film. He was a junky after all.

#6 2010-07-31 02:11:45

Rip Rig & Panic

#7 2010-08-01 06:25:44

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Sad and grotesque indeed and yet how beautiful he was and what could have been. That's what's so echanting about the documentary, its so evocatively captures the spirit of the West Coast sound and Chet in his prime.  The later descent and ugliness is all the more poetic when watched in the film. Weber made homoerotic adverts and I guess, Let's Get Lost is the epitamy of his art.

Parker was so out of it, there's little worth in any biography other than sordid tales of nodding out on H and missing performances. Miles's autobiography is readable but he boasts about being a pimp and othe mysoginistic crap, which I think is a load of BS, he was the son of a middle class dentist after all. And he let his women dress him.

All junkies are idiots and Chet was no exception.

Last edited by 4F Hepcat (2010-08-01 06:26:35)

#8 2010-08-01 09:51:44

belford

I was at the market today and got a copy of "Young Chet" book with photographs by Claxton. Some nice images I hadn't seen before.

Board footer