You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-30 01:07:32

Rip Rig & Panic

A&F

I had to think quite carefully about putting this up, so awful has the brand become: like Bench.  And yet, twenty five or thirty years ago, I had a pair of their chinos that were...  not superb, but you were'nt ashamed to be seen around in them.  I couldn't conceive of such a thing nowadays.  I see these dreadful tops of theirs, but unlike, say, Gap or Timberland, I don't seem to see tons of it knocking around in charity shops.  I'd have thought you would.  I cannot, though, for the life of me, remember whether those chinos were US made, only that they came from somewhere like Hartford CT.

#2 2010-07-30 01:49:41

shamrockmonkey

Re: A&F

Its not the same company. The sporting goods store folded in the late 80s, and the name was bought by an ohio company a few years later, bringing about the current mall rat clothing chain. In the glory days the clothes were a sideshow to glorious, top 'o' the line sporting goods in unlimited variety.

Even the early days of the mall store werent terrible-it was expensive (the prices were unheard of for high school-kid clothes at the time) but the stuff was exceedingly well made (for mallwear) and some of it wasnt that bad looking. Thick chinos on the military pattern, thick, well constructed shetlands, old-skool details on some of the shirts, etc.  They did a decent imitation of an old-styled clothing shop as well-piles of stuff folded on dark wood tables and all that. with the exception of the creepy bruce weber gay/hitler youth chic....

I think i mentioned on another thread that im still wearing some of my khakis and shirts from high school into the ditch after almost 15 years, whereas the average field lifespan of carhartt work clothes is under a year, if that. I briefly worked there in the winter of '03 (i was a student and trying to get health insurance) and that was the exact moment it became a shitpit- the new ship0ments we were unloading were all warped, thin, crap quality cloth, etc. i quit when i was ordered to wear flipflop sandals in january.

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#3 2010-07-30 02:09:07

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

Whatever A&Fs secret to success is, they certainly know how to market. I've walked past two of their stores around Europe. London and Milan. I was shocked to see literally 50-60 people queuing up the road to get in. This kind of mayhem seems to be a regular occurrence outside their stores around the world. The other shops that are near to A&F stores must be thinking what they're doing wrong?

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#4 2010-07-30 04:11:11

shamrockmonkey

yeah, i was kind of surprised to hear that they became a big cashie label in britain. while the quality was okay still at the time, it was never on par with high end italian sportswear or anything, especially at an import price.

when the "preppy" thing got big again in the early 90s, them and eddie bauer were more or less neck to neck in popularity. somehow eddie bauer became the uncool "parent" brand and seems to be barely holding on, whereas AF can sell shit made of glued-together chinese dishrags and attract hordes of kids with daddys credit cards....

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

Board footer