You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-07 13:08:12

Rip Rig & Panic

B-Movies

There was an endless number of these back in the day, both British and American.  Sometimes they were better than the main feature.  Sometimes they featured jazz players.  I must have seen literally hundreds of black and white movies set in the 40s and the 50s in which there was a ballroom scene, often featuring some hepcats (double bass compulsory).  Anyone got any particular favourites?  I still dig anything in black and white, set in New York, and featuring guys in trenchcoats, blondes sitting around filing their nails, Elisha Cook trying to look tough (or getting chopped in the second reel) and traffic honking around Times Square...  Film noir to some degree...  But there were plenty of others...  Remember all those cheesy sci-fi movies full of radioactive dust?  'I Was A Teenage Werewolf'?  Let's share some favourites...

#2 2010-08-08 09:43:42

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Re: B-Movies

I always like the version of Alabamy Bound in The Great American Broadcast from about 1940 if I remember right.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#3 2010-08-08 10:09:13

Sowtondevil

Re: B-Movies

My favourite B movie is 'Lady In A Cage' - 1964; in B&W; starring Olivia de Havilland and James Caan in his first major film role. A truly shocking exercise in sordid exploitation. I came across it quite by accident at an afternoon matinee at the local cinema just before this film was banned in Britain.  I had gone to see the main feature - 'Sixteen' - a harmless Dutch adolescent sex film, thinking I might learn something as I was sixteen at the time.  The other cinema goers that afternoon (it was only a third full) were all pensioners - I guess they went to the matinee every week regardless of what was showing.  Certainly no one was quite expecting this frighteningly sadistic and nerve-racking movie with its unrestrained malevolence and jaw-dropping, violent ending.  As the credits flashed across the screen, the house lights came on to reveal an aged audience, white with terror, mouths agape, frozen in their seats.  I did wonder, anxiously, if the impact had hastened the demise of on or two pensioners with fragile heart conditions.  A priceless viewing experience.  The film was banned in the UK for several decades but thankfully is now available on DVD.

Board footer