You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-16 06:01:59

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.

BB - Fall preview

Has anybody seen the fall preview on the BB website? What do you think? I'd like not tto expand on the looks, but on an other aspect. I don't have a history with BB which goes back for decades like many of you, but I couldn't fight the impression that the original is trying to look like the imitators. Often the settings look like European gear which shall look American. Or as if Ralphie somewhere besides the scenes. It's a progress to the weasels they were using for Spring/Summer, though.

Does anybody know how BB is doing as a company? They seem to do something about their marketing - expanding their potential res. approach younger audiences? A logical step, you can't wait until your old core customers have died and the cheapskate iGents of the world surely are not a segment which seems to be prospective.

The question is what comes after this season? I expect the "IL"-fashion from the last two years to die very soon.

Just to get a repp..

#2 2010-08-17 10:02:06

Si Cheeba

Re: BB - Fall preview

quite like the look of the cord suit - have to check them out in the flesh.

Talking of BB - anybody had problems with the mail order from their website ?

I put in an order ofr a few things in the sale - so put in credit card details as normal - long number/dates/security no., all name and delivery details, etc...and then put the order through to deliver to the UK

BUT a few days later I get an email asking about the card issuer details and telephone number !?

....eg. i told them it was  an MBNA mastercard and the only number I had was the UK number off my statement.  Anyway I sent this off to them by return....and then....

I hear nothing for 4 weeks. I'm just expecting a parcel to be delivered.

So I chased them up the other day and get a response to say as they've not been able to contact the card issuer - they have cancelled my order ???(without even telling me)

Isn't that the point of credit cards - it's all processsed centrally - whether its Visa / Mastercard ?

It's just bizzare !!  - everything else I have bought from all over the planet at different types of businesses manage to process a credit card payment without having to contact an issuer by phone. I know it's not just me as they did the same thing to a mate's order but must have managed to contact a person and eventually put his order through.

Has anybody else found this problem with BB?

#3 2010-08-17 10:50:02

JDelage

I've bought stuff from overseas from BB, never had a problem.  This being said, I use a US-based credit card.

I'm curious about the Levi's collaboration.  I wonder how different the BB 501 is from the other 501s...

#4 2010-08-17 11:06:40

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I've never had a problem, I use a Mastercard. The only problem I've had from the States was from the Mosaic website, as they were getting the expiry date mixed up.

Si Cheeba, you may find your parcel is sitting in customs.  I have that problem, within 48hrs of placing the order the package arrives in the Netherlands from San Francisco, then it sits in customs for 21 days.....

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#5 2010-08-17 11:38:45

Get Smart

#6 2010-08-17 12:22:14

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

I feel like Brooks has totally missed the mark with the Levis collab.  First off I have seen the jeans in person and they don't look any different than the 50 buck Levis you can get anywhere.  They have that nasty faux fade treatment, and are not selvage.  Second, if Brooks is trying to tap into the heritage trend they had an OK idea in going with Levis, but dropped the ball in product development.  There is nothing "Americana" about these jeans (at least nothing more so than any other pair of jeans).

The new Brooks extra slim oxfords are nice though, and the new extra slim sport shirt oxfords in the new fall line have the abbreviated placket, gussets, and rounded coat front design found on the Black Fleece oxfords and Engineered Garments shirts.  Nice looking but with a shorter collar than most BB oxfords.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NewtonStreetVintage  Classic Vintage Ivy League Clothing on Etsy.

#7 2010-08-18 01:45:29

Axelist

I haven't ordered from BB yet. They charge a min of 50$ for delivery overseas. I am working on forming a small ordering party among my friends. But I had smililar experiences the last time I wanted to order something from J.Press. I recieved some emails regarding my card and the ordering process. In the end  I cancelled the order. And while I am ranting about that I rememeber that I registered with BB but don't get e-mails about discounts or a catalog.

I also think that the Levis coop is not a good idea. Sure, Levis have a heritage, but it's brand core is completely different from that of BB? Besides that I think that Levis are not that cool as a jeans brand as it was. And if the jeans indeed is not that much different from the regular ones, where is the reason to buy one at a larger price?

If BB want to cash in on the heritage trend, then why don't they use their own? There should be a plethora of it.

I am the last person to say that the past was better than today (especially when I do not know much about it), but I think it will be interesting to watch them piloting all of this.

Just to get a repp..

#8 2010-08-18 01:47:03

Rip Rig & Panic

#9 2010-08-18 01:54:43

Axelist

Just to get a repp..

#10 2010-08-18 02:15:16

Rip Rig & Panic

#11 2010-08-18 02:25:38

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Wrote a letter !!!

Paid with Money !!!

This is Trad gone Mad !!!  wink

#12 2010-08-18 02:26:30

Rip Rig & Panic

I'm just an old-fashioned girl...

#13 2010-08-18 02:34:34

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#14 2010-08-18 02:35:48

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#15 2010-08-18 02:37:07

Rip Rig & Panic

You know me.  Quite down to Eartha.

#16 2010-08-18 02:52:58

Rip Rig & Panic

I've written - mostly begging - letters to all sorts of people.  Only Paul Stuart disappointed.

#17 2010-08-18 03:57:34

nouvelle vague
A Distillation of Ivy Inspiration.

New shirts, with old style label, 3d button and press style flap pocket .They look interesting... unless they wanna charge 150.00
as seen on uncle russie's, freind's blog.wink

Last edited by nouvelle vague (2010-08-18 05:28:57)

'Jean-Paul Sartre and john lee hooker'

#18 2010-08-18 07:06:32

Fred

I tried on the new flap pocket shirt the other day and was very disappointed - tiny collar, small flap pocket.  Not for me.

#19 2010-08-18 07:13:53

nouvelle vague
A Distillation of Ivy Inspiration.

What store was that fred? Im disappointed now. oh well

'Jean-Paul Sartre and john lee hooker'

#20 2010-08-18 07:19:08

Fred

It was the Brooks Bros store in LA (Beverly Hills).  I had been really looking forward to these shirts too but they just seemed like J Crew shirts, not nice.

#21 2010-08-18 09:16:57

Si Cheeba

Cheers guys - I'll keep trying on the mail order for now....but might just give it a couple more weeks before I give up

Hope to get over to NYC in October so interested to see the new stuff coming in so far

The brown cord Madison sports jacket is definitely going to get a proper look-at - looks good from the pictures...patch pockets / leather buttons / half lined....could be a nice addition to the autumn/winter wardrobe..

strange thing is....it is described as two button with side vents -  but certainly looks like a nice 2/3 roll  with centre vent to me....???

#22 2010-08-18 10:33:30

eris

#23 2010-08-18 13:29:10

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

^When that happens go for the bank transfer. I sometimes do this if I need my card for a costly business trip, not sure whether you could do it with the likes of Brooks Brothers, but a smaller outfit for sure.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#24 2010-08-19 09:43:37

Get Smart

I quite like these Red Wing x Brooks chukkas that are avail now.  Commando sole seals the deal for me, tho I suspect is a dealbreaker for many.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=525&Product_Id=1475150&Parent_Id=522&default_color=BROWN&sort_by&sectioncolor&sectionsize#

hopefully they will have instore when I drop in on saturday

#25 2010-08-19 10:05:50

Axelist

Just to get a repp..

Board footer