You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Shoes: The Preaching of Flusser, Roetzel And Others

#1 2010-08-16 15:32:57

Rip Rig & Panic

Shoes: The Preaching of Flusser, Roetzel And Others

They always preach the same sermon.  Fine if you have that level of disposable income.  Bespoke is the ideal.  Mine, though, tend to be cheap and cheerful, some capable of being repaired, some unfortunately not.  But, if you want something different - bucks - you have to accept that they'll wear and you might be unable to replace them.

#2 2010-08-16 16:24:29

Quay

Re: Shoes: The Preaching of Flusser, Roetzel And Others

A sound way of thinking.

And another reason classic/Ivy style of things is so adaptable. It comes in so many price points.

"It is my belief that nearly any invented quotation, played with confidence, stands a good chance to deceive."
- Mark Twain

#3 2010-08-16 16:47:48

formby

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#4 2010-08-16 17:13:26

Bishop of Briggs

Contrary to lies of FNB and Woofboxer, I (and most of the other "Buff Bastards") have been banned from posting on this forum. There are only a few posters left so don't waste your time on here. This forum is dead and nobody cares.

#5 2010-08-17 01:46:51

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist

i'm very much on the cheap & cheerful front, especially as for loafers. weejuns and sebagos all the way. as for other shoes, someday i'd like to try alden shell cordovan or the like but so far i've done very well without, by buying shoes of the less costly end or used / vintage ones off ebay, shamrockmonkey etc. say, i'm very happy with my burgundy bostonians wingtips for instance. got them off ebay a few yers back with some 40 bucks + some 20 for postage. they were virtually unused and fitted perfectly and have served me well. of course, the quality doesn't quite match - say - with florsheim v cleats of old but they're fucking decent enough.

i find that bespoke only mantra be it shoes or suits just pretentious horseshit. fine, if you're a multimillionaire ceo or a neb with old money background but for a piss-poor chap like me, no way.

also, as for shoe styles, i've never seen anything on bespoke shoemakers - say - G&G, lobb, eg, the lot - that i'd like beacause of the way they look. all too damn polished, refined, whatever. i'm out of words, out of rant.

#6 2010-08-17 02:12:07

shamrockmonkey

what is wrong with all of youse????? mincing, dainty, king george III style  bef-pake man-pumps are absolutely the only acceptable shoe for any activity conceivable, and many which are inconceivable. playing with a nephew in the mud, staggering stewed to the corner for takeaway or a box of scumbags at 4 am on a weekend, taking the dog out for a shit, olympic speed trials-IT DOESNT MATTER. wearing prole-shoes that cost less than a month's wages WILL NOT DO. they cause hoof and mouth disease and foot-distemper.

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#7 2010-08-17 02:17:43

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist

LOL one of the best rants here EVER.

i will steal this quote now as my facebook status update. or then not..

heaven knows.

#8 2010-08-17 02:31:18

shamrockmonkey

do it. i want to see it in finnish. i find the many vowels very soothing.

#9 2010-08-17 02:32:47

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist

i'm only wondering should i make a foul-languaged or a 'nice' version. our swearting is rather powerful, though. PERKELE.

#10 2010-08-17 03:38:04

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

#11 2010-08-17 03:43:17

Kingstonian

I will see you and raise.

I can do cheap. Boat shoes have taken the place of loafers for me. Currently wear cheap ones from Dunns stores in Enniskillen.

That said I also like the good English shoes though not bespoke as I could not afford it.

There is a great passage in a book by either Brett Easton Ellis or Tom Wolfe where the author describes the welting around wingtips and says how ugly he finds it. The main character is a Master of the Universe type who only wears the most expensive gear. I always liked the presence and solidity of double sole, 360 welt jobs but I could see how some might get tired of it and long for sleek. Especially Masters of the Universe.

#12 2010-08-17 03:56:31

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Last edited by The_Shooman (2010-08-17 03:59:38)

#13 2010-08-17 04:32:24

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

I like the classic Church's RTW models and I'm still happy with my 10 year old black Consuls. If I have an important business meeting they're still my safe option...
I've never had the money to consider bespoke ones, but I don't think you have to be a millionaire... Just don't spend that much on cars!

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#14 2010-08-17 04:34:47

Trojan

I've only just started taking footwear 'seriously' (shame on me).

Grenson is the highest I've reached thus far in the hierarchy, and may well be as far as I get for the next couple of years.

I do have a pair of Trickers in my sights though, with Alden being a long-term goal.

Robbo what a fucking wanker you are.

#15 2010-08-17 04:42:35

Bishop of Briggs

Last edited by Bishop of Briggs (2010-08-17 04:43:05)

Contrary to lies of FNB and Woofboxer, I (and most of the other "Buff Bastards") have been banned from posting on this forum. There are only a few posters left so don't waste your time on here. This forum is dead and nobody cares.

#16 2010-08-17 04:44:39

nouvelle vague
A Distillation of Ivy Inspiration.

I have a pair of church custom grade chelsea boots. Not ivy, but a beautifuly made boot, Thats very comfortable.

'Jean-Paul Sartre and john lee hooker'

#17 2010-08-17 04:47:44

Trojan

Robbo what a fucking wanker you are.

#18 2010-08-17 05:06:31

michael-j

#19 2010-08-17 05:22:03

Bishop of Briggs

Last edited by Bishop of Briggs (2010-08-17 05:35:33)

#20 2010-08-17 05:26:34

michael-j

well that's the only one on there at the moment...

#21 2010-08-17 05:54:03

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#22 2010-08-17 06:01:00

Kingstonian

Yes Tricker prices on eBay have been jacked up. Avoid their Corniche range that was made to a price point with cheaper materials.

Tricker who was on AAAC was a great poster. He now works for another Northampton maker though. The bloke in the Trickers Northampton factory store is also first class, very helpful and really knows his stuff.

#23 2010-08-17 06:35:35

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#24 2010-08-17 07:29:14

Kingstonian

#25 2010-08-18 01:42:53

shamrockmonkey

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Shoes: The Preaching of Flusser, Roetzel And Others

Board footer