You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » The Long March Away From The Spirit of '64

#1 2010-08-22 11:45:41

Rip Rig & Panic

The Long March Away From The Spirit of '64

I got myself into a bit of trouble for my '69' posting, but I feel duty bound - for reasons I may outline later - to disassociate The Style from those long-ago eruptions at the seaside (revisted after 1978) and the influence of the television screen.  I think some of us may have more in common with those self-conscious modernists who followed their elder brothers into Ronnie Scotts' than anyone who ever donned a Fred Perry and a parka for a pop at their greaser rivals. 
Gibson Gardens is adamant that The Style must have nothing to do with youth culture (or sub-culture) and that it is a style for life.  I agree with him.  I can imagine wearing nothing else.  The Style, too, must be about aspiration and education, about respect and good manners and an enlightened view of what goes on in the world.  It cannot be about jumping up and down and embarrassing the likes of Mr. Weller.  Black music is at the heart of it; but there are those who dig classical music or opera.  We, too, go discreetly about our business.  There can be no turning back of the clock - we must proceed and progress from here, and now.

#2 2010-08-22 11:48:13

Rip Rig & Panic

Re: The Long March Away From The Spirit of '64

Subtitled:  'What Is All This Nonsense About Skinheads?'

#3 2010-08-22 12:18:18

Rip Rig & Panic

Re: The Long March Away From The Spirit of '64

Identifying the first, pre-63/64 Ivy Leaguers, then those who made the journey to Richmond would be fun.  Ken Lovegrove told me about going to the Ivy shop and viewing all the new shirts coming in, spread out.  Was that how guys like Kenny and Peter Moss got together, went abroad together?

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » The Long March Away From The Spirit of '64

Board footer