You are not logged in.

#176 2007-12-12 08:09:06

Alex Roest

Re: More for the mix: Skinheads!

#177 2007-12-12 08:45:52

Get Smart

It's good to see guys branching out beyond the "accepted brands", altho I do admit I still buy quite a bit of Fred Perry & BS.  Old habits die hard, and both brands have done a good job recently of embracing their heritage (tho I still feel BS has schizophrenia since they put out more clubwear crap than smart gear, but good stuff can still be found)

another US brand to check out is ModernAction 

www.modernaction.net

Duke is a good guy and you'd def be supporting a fella who's head and heart are in the right place, similar to Claudio and DNA

These days I don't really care about the label as much as the actual gear.  If Juicy Couture put out good looking menswear with "The Look" I wouldnt hesitate to buy it even if it's from a wank brand.

#178 2007-12-12 14:09:32

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist

get smart, i've seen those modernaction shirts on the evilbay. how are they quality-wise?

#179 2007-12-12 21:36:54

Get Smart

Shirts are 100% cotton

I had some issues with the collar button placement, but was easy enough to fix by resewing it in proper place

Fit is good....basically same as Ben Sherman "mod fit"

I like the way he cuts the back of the collar, has a "v" shape where the middle bottom points downward right underneath the back collar button

#180 2007-12-13 05:37:27

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist

Last edited by heikki k (2007-12-13 05:37:52)

#181 2007-12-14 01:32:10

soulstylist

...if we are namedropping shirt makers: Smart & Clean - Britac  http://www.smartandclean.com
...but I have to admit - with the exception of a few BS shirts I'm mostly wearing MTM nowadays. IMHO smartness is fit first, style comes second and labels don't count...

Generaly I'm completely with Alex, though at a certain point I kind of dropped out of those 'scenes'.

When younger I wore certain clothes, listened to a certain kind of music, rode certain vehicles and had a certain haircut - all this combined just had a name - not only for me but for many people that saw me.
The less obvious these signs became, only people that were in the scene could tell where it came from and today I'm this smart guy at the office - maybe people like the ones writing here would know where my look originated but certainly not anyone passing me on my way to work and probably not even the kid in his harrington, DM boots and with a no.2 crop...
Somewhere there is a point, when you loose the 'right' to carry a name like mod or skinhead (if this was ever important)...

...just to note - a few casual items got really accepted as part of skinhead style - not hoodies but knitwear - Pringle, Lyle & Scott, sportswear - Incontinence pants Sambas, Lonsdale (to an extent that no one could wear it anymore)...

Yours in APC denim, MTM button down, FP tanktop, C&J city boots and a slim cut Boss overcoat

Martin

#182 2007-12-14 03:17:27

Suitedbooted2000

#183 2007-12-14 04:21:53

soulstylist

...the 'kid in the harrington' certainly wasn't aimed at you. It wasn't even putting youngsters down - It's just cause to know certain details and even more important 'feel' the look just takes a little time. Especially when you live in a neck of the woods, where you are not confronted with suss/style/the look on a daily basis - so basicly everywhere now...

I don't care wether my look is recogniced as THE look or just as good style or maybe even dandyism. I've seen so many people come and go over the years to learn, that there will allways be a few dedicated ones to style (in general), music or what have you and that 99.something % will allways just scratch on the surface of things and won't develop in a stylists direction...

...oh, and maybe I am mod - but definitelly never was A mod...

#184 2007-12-14 04:59:54

Suitedbooted2000

#185 2007-12-14 05:04:54

soulstylist

...hahaha - 'the what have you' belonged to the music and style part, not the percentage - sorry, maybe my english is just too bad...

#186 2007-12-14 05:16:18

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Last edited by David (2007-12-14 05:18:02)

#187 2007-12-14 05:30:39

Suitedbooted2000

That a great point David you said what i was trying to say

Lewis

Last edited by Suitedbooted2000 (2007-12-14 05:32:24)

#188 2007-12-14 06:08:02

soulstylist

David, that's about what I wanted to say...

...didn't want to come over as a smartass (thogh I am one). I'm still learning and developing myself and hope to do so for the next few decades...

(...and I don't like emoticons, which somtimes makes virtual life harder...)

#189 2007-12-14 06:17:10

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Last edited by David (2007-12-14 06:34:07)

#190 2007-12-14 06:21:21

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#191 2007-12-14 06:58:09

Alex Roest

#192 2007-12-14 08:19:20

Get Smart

#193 2007-12-14 08:20:23

Get Smart

#194 2007-12-14 11:57:46

jesmond
Ivy Genius

I haven`t posted on this thread for awhile but i enjoy keeping abreast of it.

It sounds to me like there`s alot of exploration going on right now, and i think that that`s really exciting in itself.I think there seems to be a general desire to somehow take all these styles , and looks `up`  a level. I would certainly never ever see myself or describe myself as a mod or a skinhead.However, i do  definately think there is common ground here between myself and alot of other forumites posting on this thread.I can and do wear clothing associated with mod, skin and quite alot of other things, and styles besides.. .But more than anything i love the fact i`m an individual  first and i dress for myself...I`ll try to wear what will suit me on any given day. Whatever style that might be deemed or said to fit into.

My passion is classic, stylish clothes.

For me personally the clothing of the Ivy League wardrobe of the late fifties and early sixties represented the acme of classic clothing style.Relaxed, smart, casual, cool...I love the cool, slouchy, natural shoulder style.

It`s also just a part of my character to want to experiment with looks and to experiment quite creatively, but right now i love all those clothes from the late fifties and early sixties.Clothing items with classic, timeless style.I`d describe my clothes choices as coming from the wider Ivy League style wardrobe where i know there is and can indeed be room for some of those classic mod, skin , suedehead staples.

Personally i like to wear Fred Perry polo shirts  in the summer. It`s perhaps THE most obvious mod, skin, or suedehead associated item of clothing that i wear nowadays.I like that to me it still feels the most edgy of the old polo shirt labels.Still has just a little bit of an earthy underground feel.Has a bit of `previous` (!), and a bit of history.If i was buying , RL would be a big no-no with me (far too much of a `middle of the road` choice), and Lacoste`s (The ORIGINAL tennis polo shirt perhaps) don`t do it for me.They don`t seem to have that `edginess` that i personally and currently link with those FP`s.  (Who`s to say i wont change my mind about that preference, further down the road though...?).

Fred Perry is a classic label.JFK wore a Fred Perry with specially monogrammed JFK initials. JFK also wore a crombie overcoat!

I like the vintage style Made in England ones in old Ivy League or sixties colours like maroon, French blue, mint green, or ivy green etc.I like wearing them layered with a white cotton t-shirt  underneath (for a nice not trying too hard ,relaxed American style, and for a nice contrast, and sometimes just for added warmth! -I also really think white t`s -long and short-look great under classic plaid BD shirts), and old deadstock USA made 501`s ,or stone colour chinos, and bass weejuns sans socks. (I know Levi`s 501`s were the original chinos and that they`ve changed and varied the basic cut of their classic 5 pocket jean over many years, but i genuinely do think old classic slim USA made 501`s are my favourites).Those or some of the other LVC 501`s...

I actually love that they were and still are so classically basic in design and that it seems they were originally designed as utilitarian, and functional clothing with no greater pretensions to being `trendy`.

I think what`s exciting is that there are so many style options available with the wider Ivy League style wardrobe, and indeed with some of those clothing items originally worn by mods, skins, suedeheads, and casuals.Classic style will always be classic style, whatever name you care to put on it after all...

I know that my own personal clothing style is forever evolving, adapting and moving on even if it`s only at a very , very subtle level.It`s that forever `moving-on` that is exciting to me...I like digging deep, looking at lots of `new` vintage pics and archives and trying to keep learning as much as i can about  the original looks, and styles. That way i can be a magpie, and steal and borrow those bits i think might suit me, or i might find congenial.
I take it all in, as if by osmosis.The attitudes, the clothes..Soak it all up, and sometimes temporarily just forget about it, and sometimes keep going over and over it all in my head, biding my time and waiting, till somehow i filter all that vast wealth of information, and i just let my inner intuition and voice speak to me, and point me in a particular direction.I find that if my mind keeps returning to a particualr item if clothing then it`s usually a fairly safe bet it`s gonna be a good choice for me.

I`m really not a prolific spender.I enjoy all that thinking through though.I`m a useless and hopeless spontaneous shopper.I`m not personally blessed like that, and so i have to really work and THINK  about those  personal choices and think through those personal `looks` .
I do look to the old labels wherever possible.That`s just me. That in itself is perhaps limiting, but there are just so many old classic names and labels to choose from.I like to try and find out obscure names, or little known items of clothing that were worn back in the day, if i can.I like the challenge of taking the old and making it new and `fresh`. Stuff like Viyella BD plaid shirts in classic Ivy style plaids like the Blackwatch , or Royal Stewart.Shirts in fact that might once have struck me as being stuffy or for `old farts` or elderly American tourists.(I like the fact that it`s a compelling creative challenge, to make the shirts and the overall `look` appear young, fresh, exciting, and valid or interesting again).I like em worn underneath  a typical Ivy colour crewneck shetland sweater (`natural` colour , or a muted blue or green perhaps) from the Andover shop.

I`ve come to invariably love clothing styled in very classic, and pared down and basic forms .Elegant alot of the time, and with minimum fuss, or detailing most of the time...
I really do think it`s exciting when you can boldly branch out on your own, and you can listen to and follow your own personal instincts about what might suit you , rather than limiting your options to some boring, and dead dull prescriptive uniform, or items from some  very narrow, parochial, restricting or commonly accepted definition of a style.Then you can find your own unique style or look and that can be the most satisfying and gratifying thing.

I like to try to keep open-minded about suggested clothing choices wherever possible because those choices might not interest me or seem relevant to me right now, but who`s to say they wont interest me a little further down the line...?

Anyway, that`s enough from me!

#195 2007-12-15 01:36:47

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

^ Top post!

D.

#196 2007-12-16 09:05:29

jesmond
Ivy Genius

#197 2007-12-18 06:29:41

Suitedbooted2000

it great sitting back watching it all going on.
it all the detail---- keep up the good work

Lewis

Last edited by Suitedbooted2000 (2007-12-18 06:30:16)

#198 2007-12-18 06:49:51

Suitedbooted2000

The also a post on Ask Andy forum about Skins at http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54755

Lewis

#199 2007-12-18 06:54:17

jesmond
Ivy Genius

#200 2007-12-18 08:27:46

Get Smart

Board footer