You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-09 03:37:54

Toffeeman

Eco-Ivy

As someone keen to dignify Ivy and to reclaim it as a progressive, forward-looking 'culture' embracing modern jazz, modern architecture and design and a generally heightened aesthetic sensibility, an aspect of the clothes which cheers my socially conscious soul is their obvious green credentials. It's obvious - natural recyclable fibres (mainly, apart from you sta-press boys), the careful low-key consumption of a few key items which last a long time, the rejection of the more fevered high street levels of consumption, an awareness of where clothes are made and a strong preference for well-made clothes made in developed countries often with unionised labour or a minumum wage, and finally the interest in keeping very old clothes alive recycling items from 50/60 years ago. The Ivy Look is modern and progressive. It is the future not the past. I'm moving to Brighton.

TM

#2 2010-09-09 04:37:27

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

Re: Eco-Ivy

I always hoped my Dacron Ties would become the Turin Shrouds of, say, the early 33rd century.

The preservation and continued use of old garments fascinates me too, but more in the way a classic and decidedly non-eco Ferrari from the 1960s might.

#3 2010-09-09 04:49:57

Rip Rig & Panic

#4 2010-09-09 05:32:03

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#5 2010-09-09 05:53:14

Trojan

I'm in total agreement.

Robbo what a fucking wanker you are.

#6 2010-09-09 13:08:22

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

The great thing about Ivy is that it can be so many things - My only flop in promoting it online has been with the 'Preppy' crowd: They have their handbook & they're sticking to it!

Pick a demographic and there's a take on Ivy for it - Mod, Trad, whatever.

No take better than another, but at the same time no take better than the real deal.

Here's to informed diversity.

#7 2010-09-09 13:17:24

Rip Rig & Panic

Informed diversity is - or can be - exactly the difficulty for some.  I seem to be leaving by the same door I came in at, by wearing Brooks and sand chinos.  Nothing outlandish nowadays, except for Bean Madras shorts on hot summer days.  Even JG more or less admits to toning it down in his leisure hours.  Those of us now over fifty are heading mainly in this dressed down direction, and that probably needs more subtle working out than previously.  I still don't always get it right, but Brooks, navy Paine and jeans or cords seem to work quite well.

Board footer