You are not logged in.

#326 2016-04-19 14:37:56

Chipper

Re: How to Dress Like Rock Star (mainly Charlie)

Not that I have much room to be critical, given I need my glasses more and more these days, but is Daltrey really wearing eyeglasses... on stage? Maybe he's reading from lyric sheets?

#327 2016-04-20 04:02:40

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Nothing wrong with eyeglasses on stage, when David Byrne had his Shurons on when singing Once In A Lifetime in Stop Making Sense it was a fanfare for the man who questions how the hell did I get here: the shotgun shack or uptown penthouse. It was a symbol of the middle age condition with success or failure and an attempt at redemption. It was more powerful than any of Bruce Springsteen's cod anthems to the working man.

My uncle was big into the 'Orrible Who of the 70s and I remember him telling me once how he would always go to see the Who on tour and then they didn't tour for like 18 months and then the shuffled on stage like old men and they had lost it completely in less than two years. Those who have seen them recently, all two of them, say they're pretty lousy now. My uncle did say they were years ahead of everyone in the early 70s with laser stage lighting.

Ultimately rock 'n roll has gone the way of the big bands, it's era is over and now what is left are the few big names, like Ellington and Armstrong, who are locked into regular touring to pay the bills. The big bands did tour harder though, they were on the road 50 weeks of the year.

What killed rock 'n roll? Similar to the suburbs and television that killed off the viability of the big bands - the rise of the home as a total entertainment unit and music becoming as abundant as tap water. Also that rock is actually just a stage act and all the rock n' roll excess, or at the other extreme, the pontificating do-gooder that is Bono is just a pose. The mystique and power of rock music and musicians is dead.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#328 2016-04-20 05:33:50

Chipper

I see your points, Hep, and I concur, mostly. But for Byrne, the eyeglasses, as you suggest, are "my ironic art statement." For Daltrey, they're "my degeneration." I'm not making light of the need to wear specs, as I'm a lifetime wearer. It's just that Daltrey wearing while performing the Who's classic rock feels a little sad, somehow.

#329 2016-04-20 12:10:41

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

I saw them at Hyde Park last summer, must admit I didn't know what I'd think having seen them a few times in the 80s. Enjoyed it. Totally banging show but I'm a big fan of The Who. If he'd have came on stage dressed in a sack jacket and Repp tie he'd have looked a lot sadder TBF.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#330 2016-04-21 07:54:14

Worried Man

^
I agree.  It's rock and roll anyway, not jazz. 

I saw The Who in '06 and I must say, they put on a good show.  Obviously it was no Live at Leeds, but they sounded really good and played well.  It's all very safe these days.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#331 2016-04-21 08:05:39

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Good to hear they can still put it on, some still have it like Neil Young.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#332 2016-04-21 08:07:41

Chipper

I can't listen to much classic rock anymore, aside from a few choice things, notably Exile on Main St. and Sticky Fingers. A good portion of my collection belongs in that genre but it generally doesn't see the turntable much these days.

On the other hand, I'm partial to new bands that riff on the old stuff. Tame Impala is a good example; heavily borrows from late 1960s psychedelia like early Floyd, and yet I enjoy more than early Floyd. It's probably just because the songs are new to me.

#333 2016-04-21 15:19:56

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

Board footer