Re: Napoli Tailoring

http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum

#452 2011-08-17 04:39:41

Ali Kebab

#453 2011-08-17 04:50:39

Sator

That was pretty bizarre too. Especially the bit about only Italian tailors being able to make a barchetta pocket, and that if an Indian tailor tried it, it wouldn't look right because "it's not their DNA." OMG!

Making a pocket is not something that is in the DNA of anyone - Italian or otherwise. I think it is a way of saying that Manton would find that the pocket looked "wrong" - but only after he learns that it was made by an Indian tailor.

Last edited by Sator (2011-08-17 07:40:08)

#454 2011-08-17 07:38:14

Simon
On A Mission

Italian tailors can't make a two button jacket? Without it looking wrong? What a stupid thing to say.

Blatant Modernist.

#455 2011-08-17 07:48:52

Sator

The Italian way of drafting and making a button-two coat is not in any way specifically different to that of any other method from any other country.

The trouble is that when you walk into some of these fora with their self anointed iCognescenti it is like stumbling on an obscure tea appreciation forum in which some "expert" is trying to tell you that you have to source your organic tea from a specific hill in Sri Lanka and to make sure you only drink it with milk from cows that bask in the dulcet sounds of Mozart as they are being milked - because they claim they can taste the difference. They are so precious, it's almost funny.

God I would hate to be their tailor.

#456 2011-08-17 07:54:56

Noble Savage

I'm trying to help you, I'm trying to help you to have standards. I'm trying to make you know that the world isn't pleased to see you. You're ugly and superfluous and ignorant and you should be frightened and meek and grateful.

#457 2011-08-17 08:04:49

Sator

Oh you again! Cheers. BTW was it you who signed up from the same location, ISP and virtually identical IP address with that user name Fuck-You-Sator (with the last log in under the name of Noble Savage occurring a few seconds before the other user account being created) after you got muzzled for posting one too many period costume thread about Tsarist court dress and frock coats? Pity wasn't it that the bot attack on the forum didn't get very far and got shut down within seconds.

We'll see if the guys here are any more welcoming of your endless threads about f***k coats and (s)trollers. You never did answer my question about whether you actually wear that stuff. Or do you prefer to dress in Napoleonic Imperial attire?

Last edited by Sator (2011-08-17 08:07:27)

#458 2011-08-17 08:22:38

Simon
On A Mission

Blatant Modernist.

#459 2011-08-17 08:44:57

Junior Astaire

#460 2012-10-23 00:04:58

navaneedhanpriya

Napoli Tailoring:

This is the trailer of the documentary on Neapolitan tailoring tradition . It's been published on the Huffington Post art, Esquire mag on line, Selectism.com, Men's Reverie and some 60 other blogs around the world.It's 1 hour and 7 min long.

So what, Mr physician? have you ever seen a negative review on this kind of guide?
Seriously, I'd be interested to discover if he offers the same quality level of my shirmaker, at a fraction of the price.. It would justify the trips to Rome and maybe the ridiculous initial minimum order. But neither your enthusiasm nor some (likely payed) reviews are yet sufficient to prove it I'm afraid.
Cheers, laters.
You know what they say, if you have to think about price, you can't afford it.

No worries, Walmart sells a perfectly functional shirt to suit your needs.

There was a butter-curl moon hanging over the Castel dell'Ovo, where the Lungomare juts into the inky Bay of Naples. From where I sat, the scene looked like a postcard pun staged for my amusement: butter moon, castle inexplicably named for an egg. Tires hissing on the pavement below the rooftop terrace of my hotel were the only disturbance on a still, cool evening. How could this be Naples?I asked myself. Where were the police sirens?Where was the chaos and the din?

I had just arrived from Paris, where my hotel room happened to be located above the service door where Princess Diana and Dodi Al-Fayed made their fateful final exit. Automobile racket on normally sleepy Rue Cambon was so loud that I was forced to shut the windows tight. I had felt jailed in my peach-colored room, with its peach walls, peach upholstery, and mirrored vanity tableā€”a penitentiary as imagined by Barbara Cartland.

Here I had the sudden sense that the two cities had miraculously exchanged personalities, somber Paris traded for Naples's hubbub, Naples's sidewalk carnival rolled up to present an aspect that is unexpectedly prim and sedate. Is there really a contradiction in this, I wonder?Or is it that the best way to meet this gorgeous and filthy and ancient city is to find that place in consciousness Fitzgerald once wrote about, where opposed thoughts can be entertained simultaneously in one's head?

Board footer