You are not logged in.

#26 2021-10-02 11:08:09

RobbieB

Re: Georgie Fame

Georgie Fame played piano in the Essex Arms,  Silvertown Way, Silvertown near the Royal Docks in front of the local dockers. Before my time but mum used to push me in a pram pass the pub every day to escape her mother in law who we lived with. I used to wonder if any of the family saw him but they are all long since gone.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#27 2021-10-02 11:20:09

An Unseen Scene

Weird to see my pre-moniker comments on Charlie Watts & Soho. Charlie really did know his Ivy and then wider style.

I did some appreciative tweets after his passing that mentioned everything but RS. You know he wrote a children's book on Charlie Parker aged 20?

Georgie Fame, some great songs, some keyboard playing, some early photos in right style. But credited a touch too much I think now. Get the early albums, the recent box sets and a lot of it is fairly average then MOR after Sweet Thing era. Terry Taylor, John Pearse, Norman Jopling and others were the ones too. But nice to see those old photos from innocent seeming times. Good he is still playing but ultimately not much presence beyond that early time. Austin's on Shaftsbury Avenue is really what I'd like to of seen inside where GF likely shopped alongside most of his peers.

Flamingo didn't last long, changed focus in 67 and gone not too long after. Amazing to think now.

Anthony Newley's 'Small World of Sammy Lee' is filmed in Soho and essential, showing a touch of the seediness. Now there was a modernist, walking out of his own sitcom on screen.

Play his 'Why' in the background as you read.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2021-10-02 12:50:43)

#28 2021-10-02 12:43:13

Staxfan

Always loved Georgie Fame, got to see him at Ronnie Scott’s around 2007, absolutely brilliant, 7-8 yrs too young to see him at the Flamingo in the early days, I went to see a contemporary of his Zoot Money in Reading a couple of years later with a bunch of pals telling them how good ZM was, well the poor old bugger wandered in with his stuff in a tesco bag, very sad, very bad, we went to the closest boozer,

#29 2021-10-02 14:04:54

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Had a similar experience Staxfan when we went to see Freddie Cole playing at Birdland in NYC (a tourist trap I’m afraid). Freddie’s main claim to fame seemed to be that he was Nat King Cole’s brother, but he got a good write up so we went along. We started to think something wasn’t quite right when he had to be helped onto the stage. He played for about 30 minutes before the lights went up and it wasn’t great. The poor old bugger snuffed it six months later.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#30 2021-10-02 17:07:10

Yuca

On 2 occasions I've gone to see a blues artist from the US (a different artist in each gig) and both times the support band was a different, absolutely dreadful pub blues band. When the blues artist came out I had that dreadful realisation that the support band was also the backing band for the visiting bluesman. Although both artists were brilliant, it was like being served a delicious dish and someone doing a shit on the side of the plate.

The first time the pub was full of rockers who seemed to think the resident 'blues' band were wonderful. I was around 19 and I can still recall what an arse the band leader was: a singer and guitarist who needed to be in a heavy metal/rock band instead of murdering the blues. I hope the bastard is rotting in Hell now.

some sort of banal legitimacy

Board footer