You are not logged in.

#51 2011-04-13 22:28:35

Simon
On A Mission

Re: Court Dress

With so much attention to the dress code and tradition in the attire of the court system would you say that to be in the dock in casual (and God forbid RTW) wear would be starting ones case on the wrong foot with the judge? I have noted myself when passing courts the number of people in sportswear and bad casual clothing milling around, even outside crown courts. One can tell right away they are defendants. Is this taken as a show of no respect for the court? I know that you shouldn't judge people for their actions on how they dress, but, when pretty crime  is carried out an underclass that wears a very similar look, (almost a dress code of its own) is this still possible after dealing with these type of crimes and offenders over a number of years?

Blatant Modernist.

#52 2011-04-13 22:31:47

Marc Grayson

"‘The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inner tranquility which even religion is powerless to bestow." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not."  Oscar Wilde

#53 2011-04-14 00:54:07

Grossgrain Silk

#54 2011-04-14 01:14:09

God

#55 2011-04-14 05:21:32

JohnL

Last edited by JohnL (2011-04-14 05:22:27)

"The less taste a person has in dress, the more obstinate he always seems to be. It is a great pity. Because he will never be a success as it" - Jerome K Jerome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVHUA4dZI0o&feature=related

#56 2011-04-14 06:57:53

Marc Grayson

Last edited by Marc Grayson (2011-04-14 06:59:37)

"‘The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inner tranquility which even religion is powerless to bestow." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not."  Oscar Wilde

#57 2011-04-14 07:25:34

Simon
On A Mission

Last edited by Simon (2011-04-14 10:30:09)

Blatant Modernist.

#58 2011-04-14 08:02:30

Satan

"To do ought good never will be our task,
But ever to do ill our sole delight"

#59 2011-04-14 08:14:10

Sammy Ambrose

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#60 2011-04-14 08:24:55

Grossgrain Silk

#61 2011-04-14 11:13:16

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

If I was the jury foreman and some defendent turned up in a shellsuit, I would likely find them guilty.

A shellsuit in a serious Court setting, would tell me all I need to know about the retribates character.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#62 2011-04-14 13:52:47

Grossgrain Silk

Last edited by Grossgrain Silk (2011-04-14 13:56:53)

#63 2011-04-14 14:05:16

God

Grossgrain Silk. That stuff is awesome. Yeah and I shall not withdraw from you the hem of My garment.

#64 2011-04-14 14:10:55

Grossgrain Silk

Last edited by Grossgrain Silk (2011-04-14 14:12:48)

#65 2011-04-14 14:34:33

carpu65

Grossgrain,some questions:
in which material are make the buttons?
How is clean the wig?
I've read that is treated with some type of powder,is this true?
Detachable stiff collars in our age can be ironed and starched,or are thrown after one or two times?

#66 2011-04-14 15:09:55

Simon
On A Mission

Are they letters on the bar? Can't quite make it out if so, what do they say/stand for?

Suit looks nice, is it a single button? I read somewhere that single button jackets are the hardest to make. It that true? If so why?

I like the wigs and dress in british courts. It'd be a shame to lose it I think. I'm with Hepcat about shell suits in the dock also. Total lack of respect for the courts and theirself. Just smells of "I don't give a shit". I'm a bit old fashioned like that I think. Not a bad thing though...

Blatant Modernist.

#67 2011-04-14 15:13:39

Grossgrain Silk

The buttons are silk over cut steel. Some of them are fraying a bit....

The Wig has just been refurbished after 20+ years so it's clean. The colour is normal. I think you may mean to ask how the wig is cleaned. It isn't. It has to be professionally restored. Ede's do it at vast expense. My man does it for me for about 1/4 of the price Edes ask and he did a great job. The inside netting is removed, the curls and body are steamed, checked and re-sewn and the new netting is put on the inside. Job done and a cheer for British craftsmanship.

No powder. Wigs used to be powdered to keep the bugs off. Nowadays the horsehair is sterilised before it is used.

The collars have to be dry cleaned really. I have tried washing and starching but it is impossible to do at home to any real standard. When they come back from the laundry they gleam and the button holes are so tight that they have to be wrenched open for the studs. A slight roughening along the edge that hits the neck is the only sign of age - fortunately this can be cured by the old trick of rubbing the case of a bic biro along the edge and smoothing it out. They can go on pretty well forever.

Last edited by Grossgrain Silk (2011-04-14 15:15:45)

#68 2011-04-14 15:21:35

Grossgrain Silk

#69 2011-04-14 15:40:56

formby

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#70 2011-04-14 16:03:54

Marc Grayson

#71 2011-04-14 16:05:15

Marc Grayson

Last edited by Marc Grayson (2011-04-14 16:35:55)

#72 2011-04-14 16:34:51

Grossgrain Silk

Marc - I wondered, I really wondered, whether you would be able to be graceful about it. After all, you called the whole thing imaginary and then bottled the chance to put your money where your mouth is. I did just think that you might either say nothing, or acknowledge that you had made a serious error in calling someone a liar.

You blew it, and I am fed up - as I suspect are most people here. You doubted the existence of court dress and it's in front of your eyes. You have neither the experience or the knowledge to judge it. Without doubt you do not wear it and your tailor does not make it. The proposition that a couple of shots on a bed can tell you anything about the quality of a suit is idiocy and you know it. When you try to pronounce about these things, you demonstrate merely that you will say whatever gets you off. You simply have no yardstick by which to assess what you talk about.

That isn't what I'm here for and it isn't what this place is about. Whether you like or dislike it is irrelevant. No one has learned anything about clothes from you in this entire discussion. You spent hours posting about how you were going to educate me, and yet two hours after these photographs were posted all you can do is make snide remarks of the most childish kind. You do not say anything of substance about quality or taste: only about what you like or do not like as if that somehow important. But it isn't - it is backed up by nothing and you have no achievements, no ability to communicate and no obvious knowledge to make up for that. It is time - however old you are - that you realised that your own opinion is only as good as you can show it to be.

You have nothing to say of value. No one has supported your comments today or yesterday except Crud - who has been exposed as a dishonest fraud willing to doctor his own words to please you. Shooey's retained affection for you speaks well of him, but no one is defending how you behave. You have lost this discussion and these arguments. You have done so because you are unwilling to give credit to anyone who will not grovel to your opinion; you are incapable of uttering a generous or a kind word; your language and attitudes would shame anyone with civilised values and you continually set yourself up to fail and then do so - publicly and (for anyone with a normal approach) embarrassingly. No one has made you behave like this: your stupidity and nastiness have been exposed only through your own behaviour and your own choices.

I am not going away, because I enjoy it here and I learn from others. I readily accept that I dish it out, but I obviously know how to take it too. Talking to you, however, is a valueless exercise because the only thing one learns from you is that you are an unpleasant man - a braggart and a coward. You willingly and knowingly misrepresent views you cannot deal with in an attempt to pervert their meaning. Their is no insult - however foul - that you will not throw in pursuit of your own self-glorification. You are a racist. You are dishonest. You value people according to the size of their wallet. Offered an olive-branch you scorn it and knock it aside.

I believe that you are as close to worthless as anyone I have ever met. Those who care for you should try and help you. I don't care for you or about you. I want you to go away. You won't, but I shall do my best to ignore you. There are few people for whom I have greater contempt.

#73 2011-04-14 16:37:24

Marc Grayson

Last edited by Marc Grayson (2011-04-14 16:38:16)

#74 2011-04-14 16:39:41

carpu65

#75 2011-04-14 16:43:42

Grossgrain Silk

Board footer