You are not logged in.

#26 2007-09-13 12:57:37

Arthur

Re: Downeast Duck Hunter Style

My boy is waiting for snow so we can play "Narnia" in the woods near our place (there are woods in Queens!).

I'll be in my Bean field coat and boots, shetland sweater, jeans, and carrying a plastic sword.

#27 2007-09-13 13:36:37

Cheeky Monkey

I love snow-it seems many, many years since we had a half decent winter - we have the occasional snow fall but nothing of significance.

The problem with Britain is that it`s prevailing weather comes from the west- across the Atlantic - the seas are warmed by the gulf stream which in turn keeps the land temperature relatively warm- leading to lots of wetness- we used to get weather more frequently from the east ( siberia)- but that has become less and less frequent - leading to milder winters.

... ... ...

#28 2008-01-09 11:29:32

Tony Ventresca

#29 2008-01-09 20:10:52

tom222222

The boots have a long rise, but hard to believe with the rubber upper they don't originate with LLBean. Otherwise the styles are Northeast hunting styles. no doubt.

#30 2008-01-10 00:56:44

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Really great pics as always Tony - Thanks!

#31 2008-01-10 02:10:53

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#32 2010-01-03 03:35:13

shamrockmonkey

a couple of yrs ago one of my pals @ the union hall was sporting a penfield vest that he claimed was for duck hunting. as far as i know that sh** costs out of the arse and is only available in boutiques around here but he claimed that it was just a beater hunting vest....everyone else referred to it as "the yuppie vest" and i never saw it again.

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#33 2010-01-03 03:41:13

shamrockmonkey

those bean boots you speak of are and have been fairly  popular with the ladies around here, of the subgroup we refer to as White People...college educated , culturally elitist, with upper middle class aspirations if not always incomes. i know a few guys who bought them, but id imagine those rubber bottoms would be pretty nasty once you sweated in them afew times...i stick with the all-leather redwings i use at work if god-forbid i have to do anything more strenuous outdoors than drink in a lawn chair.

#34 2010-01-03 03:47:37

shamrockmonkey

horace, as far as i know L.L. was the first one to come up with the idea, by splicing a rubber english waterfowl boot with the all-leather models that american sportsmen and workers both generally prefer. the little story used to be in all of their catalogues. incidentally with the exception of extrem ecold weather boots i have never seen an outdoorsman of any kind wear the bean style for actual outdoor pursuits...maybe they do in maine,however. i think they still are made there as opposed to china, as opposed to virtually any other shoe sold...

#35 2010-01-03 03:51:02

shamrockmonkey

and they made the long rise until not that long ago. possibly they still have them in their hunting specialties catalog...im 30 and i remember them selling ones that went up to at least the knee when i was a kid.

Board footer