You are not logged in.

#76 2014-07-22 02:24:58

Leer R.

Re: The Perfect Gray Sweat

Last edited by Leer R. (2014-07-22 02:26:04)

#77 2014-12-10 04:27:51

Thee Captain

Last edited by Thee Captain (2014-12-10 04:28:12)

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#78 2014-12-10 04:40:48

Tomiskinky

you going down TC? I'm up west on The Row to see a tailor friend later so might stick my head in on the way back.

#79 2014-12-10 04:55:01

Thee Captain

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..

#80 2014-12-10 04:59:05

Thee Captain

Open till half 6 I see.... probably get there around 17:47:39....

#81 2014-12-10 05:21:26

Tomiskinky

Well I am oop West for 4pm, so will see how it is looking work wise.

Got a new client - nothing sexy but might lead to repeat work, bread and butter pays the bills eh?

#82 2014-12-10 05:28:13

Thee Captain

#83 2014-12-10 06:05:12

Tomiskinky

Indeedy squire, indeedy.

#84 2014-12-10 21:11:23

alec

how do this one look? there's a 30% off sale right now
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1007798&vid=1&pid=989788012

edit: was just browsing and this OCBD of theirs has a back collar button http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1007798&vid=1&pid=989788012

Last edited by alec (2014-12-10 21:23:37)

#85 2014-12-11 04:35:24

Tomiskinky

My Pikey purchase rocked up today, more than happy with it for €39, incredibly substantial item, as TC says will have to see how it washes, like the shorter cut but used to that from my Universal Works one, don't mind rolling the cuff either - slightly boxy fit does weird things when sat down  but that is a minor point. Now if they only have a navy one at that price.

#86 2014-12-11 05:06:50

Thee Captain

Good to hear T - glad you're happy with it!
Did get to The Real McCoys btw but can’t really see me doing any business…

It’s quite a pokey little place and any questions I asked were not met with an answer I’d be looking for….

Fookin’ EXPENSIVE TOO.. and I’ve been happily in bed with Buzz Rickson for years now…

SEE – new kids on the block have a lot to live up to…..ha ha….

If it ain’t broke……

#87 2014-12-11 05:16:07

Tomiskinky

hahaha - I had to get back and sort out some bits in the studio (well spare room as was not gonna go back to my actual studio)
so didn't go, I was gonna pop in as I went through covent garden - but forgot where it was (street) and it was not the street I thought
and didn't have time to go hunting.

I expected it to be a small expensive place, these new kids always are.

Last edited by Tomiskinky (2014-12-11 05:16:37)

#88 2014-12-11 06:39:53

Thee Captain

Your're looking at 40 squid n upwards on their chambrays/sweats compared to Buzz..... and whilst they is nice, they ain't NICE-ER by any means...

Fella in store had a Size Large sweat on which looked way too big for him as well...either they come up v large then or there's not much to him underneath...he wasn't much smaller than me...

I tried on a lighter weight one in American Classics a few months back and needed an XL....much prefer the lighter weight neck stylee too tbh..

I asked which chinos had the biggest rise...may well have asked him where he stood on climate change on the Kaffeklubben Island..

It was just too painful really...

I said I liked your A-1 Leathers...he said I like the A-2s.....BUT I LIKE THE A-1s I came back with....

Probably called me a hoho once I'd left...

So everyone happy all round then...

All in a day's espionage, eh?

#89 2014-12-11 08:25:50

Meehawl MacMurrachu

Yeah shops like that tend to be a bit poncey in my experience
Do you have to perform any rituals to get let in ?

There's one in NYC called Blue in Green that sells all that stuff (real McCoys / Japanese denim etc)
You have to ring a doorbell to get let in
That put me off slightly when I went there - I was pushing and pulling on the door handle for ten minutes like that "Midvale school for the Gifted" Gary Larson cartoon before my attention was drawn to the buzzer 

Maybe you get a key for your next visit if you buy more than one item from them

#90 2014-12-11 08:33:35

RobbieB

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#91 2014-12-11 08:34:54

Thee Captain

Hehe.. That place sounds familiar MM... has come up via search engines for me I'm certain..
Give 'em the 2 finger salute from me and tell 'em THEE CAPTAIN sends his love....

Am hoping to get to NYC next year....I'll be sure to try n get in too....

Think over here I'll just stand outside for an hour once a month staring in...
If they come and ask me if I need any help I'll just sigh ever so slightly... and get my sandwiches out....

#92 2014-12-11 10:46:27

WinstonPerry

Did you size up one on the BR sweat? I.e. go large if you're a medium?

#93 2014-12-11 11:04:44

Runninggeez

Tellason do a nice grey sweat, but it's a bit pricey at $170. Their selvedge jeans are nice too........

#94 2014-12-11 13:02:50

stanshall

I know geez, I've seen some good-looking Tellason stuff I wouldn't mind trying but I am not that much of a collector or connoisseur that it is going to improve the look of my own old Levi's and Champion and Russell get-it-anywhere stuff on me ....

to a denim and sweats hound the fancier stuff is much more desirable, same for someone who wants a more precise fit with these casual items than I do but ...

I think with jeans and sweats and t-shirts and sneakers actually many times

cheaper is better.

I know the better sweats and jeans are made on special machines or use better material or have more features or better stitching .....

when I need to upgrade to a more upscale similar garment, I'd go with a wool sweater from Scotland or a cotton one from the USA.

I keep seeing some of the better hipster/heritage places offering expensive and special sweats ... I love the fact that many are USA-made, which makes me want them even more.

now I know better than to try to get my size with anything made in Japan or by LVC or Battenwear etc. because who wants a slim-fit sweat?  Velva-Sheen is too tight too ....

same with jeans ... slimming this stuff down cuts its functionality and is poor design regardless of its putative hotness 

and then I bust out my own everyday Russells and Champions and they look perfect and in fact are perfect, especially given what was paid for them ....

part of what makes these things great is the low cost ... to have the look for pennies ... if they get beaten up you get new ones .....

to me paying more for a sweatshirt than a Shetland sweater does not seem quite right but of course we in the States don't have the same easy access to good Shetlands at nice UK prices .....   

also: if you dig fancy sweats and jeans and they're your main thing Thee Captain Prince Among Men then you know it's all good and of course one can have a range of sweats and jeans from high to low, it's not necessarily one or the other .... you can have it all .

I am about to buy a few all kinds of sweatshirts, t-shirts, and my new fave style of sweater, and when I invest baby I'll report back ....

just saying I took the plain old Russell out for a spin last night and it slayed ......

------------------

Who here likes hoodies?  I love them.  Some detest them ..... but they are part of the history and I go bonkers every time I see one in a great vintage Ivy or Americana photo, like I do when I see JFK's striped tennis crew socks ....

Last edited by stanshall (2014-12-11 13:10:03)

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#95 2014-12-11 15:11:20

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#96 2014-12-11 19:04:43

stanshall

#97 2014-12-11 20:14:50

oxford cloth button down

#98 2014-12-12 03:08:35

Thee Captain

I hears what you say Gents and can only say that I too pine for an old decent knockabout sweat but I've not seen them and after the bobble hell of Uniqlo......AAAAAGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

I just want summat that keeps its shape, fits well, washes well...and LASTS!!!

I have old Champions/Russel A's that still get an airing mind...

I should add too that I'm not really on a major mission here....the thread is for the "POIFECT SWEAT"...and as yes, I'm a sucker for silly details here construction wise, I'm happy to go looking....but I still maintain that Buzz rule currently...and I need no more for now...

It is much more up my alley of course than the search for the perfect sack as whilst I go in n out of that stuff, sweats n jeans will never leave me...

Prices do be stooopid for fancy denim today as well I'll add...but again, I've been lucky with LVC say over the years...the stuff I love is the least popular and I've always got it for great prices...There's been v little LVC in recent years I've really cared for tbh - it's really gone off the boil for me...

As I say, we all find a way to satisfy our needs, eh?!?

I like a hoodie too Stanislav - for the record.... Thank you please...

#99 2014-12-12 03:34:40

Tomiskinky

Gotta say as this is an Ivy forum, surely the Poifect Sweat should be what they were back 'in the day'!

That's my take on it, yes a good well made sweat will cost you more but when you find the right one it will be a tick off the wish list.

Yes, a uniqlo sweat is ok, I have 2 - but it is not a reproduction of an original item, it is merely a grey cotton jersey in a familiar style, it does not have the underarm gusset detail, the thick rib hem and cuff, the V detail on the front is just that, a detail - it serves no purpose. I'm not saying the PB one is the golden Fleece, but so far it ticks many boxes, not tried Buzz ones but I have seen a lot of over priced 'fashion' tat, and this is not the sort of thing i am talking about, I really wanted one of these from Kellsport (mentioned it in a DM to WM recently as could not remember the name, thought he had posted the link, seems not), http://www.sweatshirtsusa.com/mens-heavyweight-crewneck-sweatshirt.html

Seem well priced, have some great details (other than the ugly logo tab) and basic colours. If it was not for the fact that I got the PB one for less than the cost of buying one of these and shipping it over then I would have gone this route. Maybe one of you cats over in the US could try one and review it.

Yes, something like a good quality sweat should be a cheap price, but we don't live in these times, everything is made overseas from cheap fabric and cheap labour - if you want well made you have to pay for it. Bit like shoes - I often sit looking at peoples shoes on public transport and wonder why they bought either such ugly or cheap shoes? I don't earn loads of money but I do look around for bargains and I do save a little money each month if I can - if you just put £3 away a week you will have over £150 to buy a pair of decent shoes in a sale!

Anyway I digress and really should be doing some work!!

#100 2014-12-12 07:54:23

stanshall

/\  I hear ya Tomiskinky ... you do this stuff so well, you and TC and Acton_Baby -- you know what the vintage details are ....

...  I think that plain old Champion Reverse Weaves of today do the trick perfectly well for me ....

.... after I posted I went trawling for good sweatshirts and I saw many beauties .....

I also like zip-front sweats and I saw some with a detail I crave - a brass two-way zipper ... but these guys were way up there ...

don't know Uniqlo but Kellsport is definitely on my wishlist, they make some unique items in the sweat world

... I was looking at $250 Japanese sweats and realizing that the Japanese size 4 would not be big enough for me even if I was okay with the price

but as I said above if you're a connoisseur and you're particular the expensive ones might be what you need ..... and you get good results with your clothes judging by your pics ....

I wasn't trying to be especially curmudgeonly, just saying holy smoke look what they charge for a better-quality sweatshirt, you could get a Shetland or two for that ....

carry on sir, you wear it well

Board footer