You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-20 15:09:49

Andy_B
Ivy Realist

Absolute Beginners

One for Simon.  Years since I read it, but good on the 'Modernist' scene, and with several memorable characters - Crepe Suzette?  I think Gibson Gardens rather likes it.  Staceyboy, too.

#2 2011-11-20 15:54:54

Simon
On A Mission

Re: Absolute Beginners

I seem to remember the passage about the blue suit and white Mac inspiring me to buy a Mac. Crepe Suzette as I recall had no morals what so ever. Just the SORT one hopes to meet on a saturday night, after last orders but before being tossed out!

The characters were very "rich" as I recall. The really cool thing about the book is it never mentions the word mod, as I recall anyway. You had to be in the know to know, as it were. I don't think there was any need to give the last edition such a tacky cover, but targets sell things I guess. Really looking forward to reading A.B again. I've often wondered what kind of a life MacInnes led to draw the characters from. I look forward to reading the Tom Gould book on him just as much, afterwards.

Blatant Modernist.

#3 2017-01-08 15:53:05

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

The film is on London Live at 22:30 13/01/16

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#4 2017-01-09 09:55:52

An Unseen Scene

The main character in AB is based on Terry Taylor whose book Baron's Court All Change is a great companion piece with a similar focus.  Terry Taylor was a photogropher and early Modernist, google for pics or check my blog for them and links at http://squareendknittedtie.tumblr.com

There is a picture of Mosernist Taylor lookibg out of his head with American poet and later environmentalist Johnny Dolphin I think in Tangiers on the pre hippy trail with Dolphin looking ace in what seems to be a herringbone patch and flap pocket sack jacket.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2017-01-09 10:11:19)

#5 2017-01-09 14:56:01

ClassicsandVintage

Not read it since I was about 18... but I picked up a Penguin paperback first edition for a few pence in a charity not long ago. Lovely Peter Blake drawing on the front of a fella wearing a soft-tailored suit, knitted tie and (maybe brogues), reading about the Notting Hill Riots in the paper: https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/277745501997657580/

The main thing that sticks in mind about the (much-hyped at the time) film was the fact that the lead actor was never heard of before or since. Must be a story there?

#6 2017-01-10 01:15:12

An Unseen Scene

Colin Wilson's Adrift In Soho has been made into a film due for release this year and filmed in the Hockley/Lace Market area here in Nottingham to double up for '50s Soho.

Board footer