You are not logged in.

#26 2011-12-11 07:00:20

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

Re: Alpine Ivy

Good find, and a good look.

''If I can't share my faith in Christ here, I'd just as soon not have to put up with people advocating drug use.''

#27 2011-12-11 08:06:28

Fritz the Cat

Historically, Loden was the knockaround material of the peasants: extremely durable, cheap and warming. So if you think you buy into a great tradition of socialite covering… sorry wink. The Großbürgertum of 19th century in the bavarian or tirolean cities was sporting cloth from Italy. Reminds you of the historic background of Kopi Luwak or lobster. The clanmythology states that one of the greataunts started a soaring in the use of Loden in a major northern city of the Golden Thirties when a new distinctionsignal against the furcovered newlyrichs was needed.

Right now you have three main groups wearing it: CSU-voters, hunters and as I discovered this year stupid hipsters in Berlin. The main reason hunters still use it – apart from the so called tradition – is its “silence” as opposed to cracking leather and synthetic materials at hide hunting, although you can discuss endlessly if this really makes a difference. Some huntingcoats like the Kotzen are solely available of Loden afaik.

For all the fans of authentic locally produced cloth: The best “Original Tiroler Loden” is produced in the Czech Republic, the rest is produced somewhere in asia. If you are really interested I would recommend some cloth from here ( http://www.trachten-informationszentrum.de/trachtenkontor/adressen/01109.htm#Stoffe,%20Zubeh%C3%B6r  ) or the perusing of antikmarkets.

#28 2011-12-11 08:09:53

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

It's as 'Socialite' as Harris Tweed.  wink

Board footer